Sign in to follow this  
n0wak

Give me Big Mac, fries to go*

DEFCON

Anyone playing it?

Been playing it a little today and it's definitely fun. Very board-game-ish, with a lot of subtle rule variants and the like. Still playing around to see what strategies work and what are the key strategic points for deployment, but early on it seems like one of those seemingly simple but actually a little deep games. Which is good. It helps that the games can be sped up and slowed down if desired.

The one thing that bugs me a bit is that you can't shoot nukes or bombers over the poles, which essentially makes the game a east-west affair, save for the bottlenecks in north africa and central america. It'd be nice, also, if there was an option for non-earth-based maps.

But, you know, for $15 it's great.

So anyone playing it? Anyone want to set up an IdleThumbs game?

:tup:

* Sorry for the obscure title, but you get +1 points for getting the reference

I'm going to start playing this on Monday. At work. As research.

I just wanted to drop that in there. (My job is incredible.)

Preordered it. As I just got off work, it may be a good night to give it a go. Thanks for reminding me it's arrived.

Yeah, I preordered it, but haven't found the time to play it just yet. Might give it a go tonight, but most likely next weekend.

SiN

I played a match against the computer. Asia vs. Europe. It was a tense game until I got my subs into position in the North Atlantic. Then came the megadeaths.:strangelove:

Elusivespoon, you can't fight in here. This is a war room!

This Is the Day...This Is the Hour...This Is This!

I thought about getting it but heard it getting mixed reviews. But considering that I've liked every other game they've done, I'll probably pick it up. I would be up for Idle Thumbs matches if I do get it.

I've been playing. Love it, great game!

I played a bit vs AI then tried a 5 player online game and won with 182, the player in second had 25 and the rest where below with a couple in minus numbers.

Brilliant!

Who wants to get blown up? :waluigi:

Who wants to get blown up? :waluigi:

Me :strangelove:

Seriously, when the rest of you get this, we should have an Idle Thumbs Nuclearwarathon.

Okay, I played it. It's great. The atmosphere almost makes me feel guilty for everything I do. It's a very narrow strategy game, very basic, almost like another indie strategy game Oasis, and I'm liking it a lot. Not something that will keep you up at night for months, but great for playing a couple of weeks. At $10/$15 that's just perfect.

It's five shades of kickass.

Also you gotta love the fact that it's so small, if you remove the uninstall.exe file it fits on a floppy disc (!).

You must have big-ass floppy disks. The directory is close to 60mb.

Yeah, I checked, and you're right. You'd have to leave out the audio...that's 58 megs right there. The main exe + main.dat are like 1.25 MB.