Sign in to follow this  
n0wak

Are you ready for the "Filmic game" experience™?

Among the other X06 announcements, which as expected revealed that Microsoft plans to milk the Halo name for all its worth despite the fact that Halo 3 is supposed to be the "last Halo game", there was this gem

As Moore spoke, Jackson himself took the stage to illuminate the crowd about the franchise--which will apparently not be your average Halo game. "It's a form of entertainment that's not a game and it's not a film. It's a filmic game experience," Jackson told an enthusiastic crowd. "I think we're on a threshold of a new way to tell stories. With that in mind we discussed a way to do it, and with that in mind we decided that the first title should be something that will allow us to not have to devise a whole new world but to allow us to tell the story. "

Apparently Peter Jackson has never heard of David Cage :shifty:

"Filmic games", the wave of the future.

Can someone explain to me what Halo Wars is? I saw the name on Arcade marketplace, and have started to downlod the trailer, but have no idea what it is. Is this the inevitable Halo RTS surfacing already?

Is this the inevitable Halo RTS surfacing already?

Yes. And because RTS games work so well on consoles, it is going to be a 360 exclusive. :shifty:

despite the fact that Halo 3 is supposed to be the "last Halo game"

BZZRT! Wrong. Halo 3 is simply the "conclusion to [the] story arch". That doesn't mean they won't be setting any more games in the Halo universe. That said, I have the same doubts as anyone about a console-based RTS, but it seems to be in good hands and I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being. And as for the Peter Jackson project... well, it seems a bit silly to judge with so little information, but you can color me wary.

Hang on, so we have Halo 3, Halo Wars, Halo movie, and a prequel called Forerunner? So basically there will be three Halo franchises? Won't that dilute the brand?

Not that I care that much about Halo...

Just saw the video of the press conference and some of Microsoft's press quotes regarding the new Jackson games and, wow, does anyone know what they are actually going to make? Even MS seems confused.

Apparently Peter Jackson has never heard of David Cage :shifty:

Ugh. Let's hope he hasn't.

The word does not need a Halo game designed like Indigo Prophecy.

or any other game like it either

GET READY!

Just saw the video of the press conference and some of Microsoft's press quotes regarding the new Jackson games and, wow, does anyone know what they are actually going to make? Even MS seems confused.

I'm a little confused by the descriptions too. Right now, I don't really think you can make something that's part way between movie and game, because players either want to observe or they want to participate. No one's really been successful at persuading players to mix and match, and if anything, so-called "next-gen design" is about keeping the story there while moving away from observation and towards participation.

I'm rambling, so I'll curtail myself. I agree that no one really seems to know. It smacks somewhat of me-too-ism after EA said "hey we've got Steven Spielberg onboard" and then proceeded to be similarly vague about their intentions.

It also reminds me a lot of Jason Rubin's rants a couple of years back on the perpetual subject of how the industry actively keeps "creator personalities" from emerging and being used in the industry's marketing. It just seems totally contradictory to do that, but then wheel out the film directors to great fanfare. If they think film directors can sell games, why aren't EA and Microsoft more interested in establishing the concept of "game directors" too?

Let's not ridicule the idea for a console RTS just yet. After all, Halo's main claim to fame is bringing the FPS with success to consoles. They have the benefit of the doubt.

Of course there have been attempts in the past, from simple conversions of C&C and Starcraft to specifically designed games such as Goblin Commander. None of which were very playable.

I don't know why I bother either because I don't care about Halo at all and think it has poor visual design :fart:

It smacks somewhat of me-too-ism after EA said "hey we've got Steven Spielberg onboard" and then proceeded to be similarly vague about their intentions.

Yes, except EA paired up Steven Spielberg with Doug Church, Randy Smith and others. That makes sense and I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Also yeah agreed about the Rubin thing. By the way, that speech was legendary and I'm sad I deleted the video of it.

BZZRT! Wrong. Halo 3 is simply the "conclusion to [the] story arch".

Well, that's what I meant. A "proper" Halo game. I don't think anyone doubted that the franchise would continue with the oft-used colon in the title.

I don't know why I bother either because I don't care about Halo at all and think it has poor visual design
:yep:

Hang on, so we have Halo 3, Halo Wars, Halo movie, and a prequel called Forerunner? So basically there will be three Halo franchises? Won't that dilute the brand?

It does seem like this will do it. When you think about it, it's pretty remarkable how restrained Bungie/Microsoft have been with the franchise given its popularity. Up until now I guess.

BZZRT! Wrong. Halo 3 is simply the "conclusion to [the] story arch".

Arc! Arc! This is an arch:

arch.sept.sever.jpg

:oldman::fart::oldman::fart::oldman:

I missed this:

or any other game like it either

NICE :tup:

Yay, Peter Jackson has invented short bits of gameplay that connect together gigabytes worth of cutscenes.

BBC news has a particularly vile interpretation of Pete's words:

"... Peter Jackson has agreed a deal with Microsoft to create what he describes as a "new form of interactive entertainment".

Not just video games people, but an entirely new form of entertainment!!!111oneone.

Of course, what he actualy meant was that video games are the new form of entertainment, and he would like to have a go. at least, I hope that's what he meant.

I recommend you watch the actual announcement, because that is in fact not what Jackson meant. I'm still not sure what he really said, as it was really confusing and ineloquent. But it's close to what the BBC is quoting.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68245

The firm hopes Halo Wars, from the developer of Age of Empires, will give it just that. "It's for the Germans," the exec confided. "We think this genre of game is perfectly suited to Germany, northern and eastern Europe. It illustrates our desire to release games that are appropriate for gamers in all markets."

I find myself pretty interested in Halo Wars right now.

Yay, Peter Jackson has invented short bits of gameplay that connect together gigabytes worth of cutscenes.

Ragnar Tornquist beat him to it :fart: