General Fuzzy McBitty

Sony: Nintendo to lose core audiance

we'll ultimately appeal to that vastly Earth wide audience we carved out with the original PlayStation.

Whatever that means :fart:

This seriously is The Year of Sony. Every week, I am baffled by what they say, what they do, what they fuck up, what they hype, what they break, how they advertise, what they back track on, what they copy, and what they say again. Does this company even have PR people? WTF?

And I am not just talking about Sony games... their other divisions are not any better, from the whole rootkit debacle to their awesome exploding batteries.

07-minister.jpg

"Nintendo is now in disarray! Their faltering handhelds of infidels have not expanded the market and are not selling more than PSP. I triple guarantee you, there are in fact no Nintendo DSes in America."

07-minister.jpg

"Nintendo is now in disarray! Their faltering handhelds of infidels have not expanded the market and are not selling more than PSP. I triple guarantee you, there are in fact no Nintendo DSes in America."

That is so three years ago, man. I don't think you can use that and expect anyone to remember it...

That is so three years ago, man. I don't think you can use that and expect anyone to remember it...

Oh, we remember it, everyone was doing those jokes back then, so it engraved itself on our retinas and in our minds.

I'd like to spruce it up by photoshopping that mustache in Marek's avatar over to him - it'd be perfect fit and add a bit of class. Hmm...

This guy doesn't seem to be aware that the DS has sold more units than the PSP.

I think that he's saying that EVENTUALLY the PSP will sell more units, because the PSP somehow creates a new audiance.... but i can't really understand him while his head is rammed up his ass. :erm:

Wouldn't it be hilarious, though, if Sony took over the handheld market and Nintendo took over the console market.

Wouldn't it be hilarious, though, if Sony took over the handheld market and Nintendo took over the console market.

PSP still doesn't fit in my pocket, though...

I think that he's saying that EVENTUALLY the PSP will sell more units, because the PSP somehow creates a new audiance.... but i can't really understand him while his head is rammed up his ass. :erm:

I thought he was saying that while Nintendo is chasing the "virgin" gamers with it's new "non-gamer" aesthertic, it is losing it's old hardcore audience. Which would be us.... Oh yes: LOL.

I think he's saying is that the DS is not generating anymore sales than any new Gameboy system would, based off of previous Gameboy sales. The DS is simply inheriting Nintendo Gameboy fans that already existed. He points out that the DS adoption rate is probably lower than the preceding Gameboy.

The PSP on the other hand, having no previous handheld heritage is bringing entirely new people into the market...people who were previously only concerned with the console market.

I suppose --semantically-- it's valid. But pretty much pointless. Why was an article written about this?

[quote name=

Christopher Kirkman, Media Geek]The majority of the negative hype has been internet based. Your average consumer likely isn't privvy to the onslaught of comments and forums discussing the price point and shipping delays.

[...]

For roughly the price of the better PS3 package, a consumer could have 2 systems with (respectively) High definition, wireless controls, online gaming, backwards compatibility, a huge retro-library and to a certain degree, home integration. So how do they overcome it? Tout the incredibly extensive library and focus on exclusivity. That can be hard to swallow for developers, but consumers have been known to find themselves spending more on a console simply because one particular title isn't available on other systems. Guitar Hero and Katamari Damacy are good examples of this type of effect.

There is, I fear, a great amount of truth in that and despite common sense, the PS3 could be a success.

The price is still too great. My girlfriend has said that if Kingdom Hearts III comes out on the PS3, she will want it, but $400+ is too much to justify the expense.

I would argue, however, that the internet buzz was the reason why Katamari and Guitar Hero became so popular, and that the age group for game consoles is the one that uses the internet the most.

Hang on, this was said by Jack Tretton of EA? I read elsewhere that Harisson said exactly the same, which is why I posted the Iraq dude. The hell... is EA stealing Sony's talking points?