Sign in to follow this  
Twilo

XBox 360 videos from TGS

Figured this was good for a thread to break up all the Wii news. Some of the nice things that I'm looking forward to got a good showing, nice videos (IGN) of...

Lost Odyssey (Mistwalker - RPG)

Trusty Bell: Chopin's Dream (tri-Crescendo/Namco - RPG. Holy crap!)

Blue Dragon (Mistwalker - RPG...)

Project Sylpheed (Square Enix - Shmup. There's like, 5 seconds of actual gameplay in this trailer. This is what happens when Square Enix makes a shootemup)

Lost Planet (Capcom - Action-adventure. Not really my kind of thing. There's a demo on Live)

Also, technically not showing at TGS, there's an excellent new Bioshock video with commentary that was put up today.

I'm starting to think that owning a 360 is finally paying off...

I'm starting to think that owning a 360 is finally paying off...

Yeah, no kidding, all those games make me wish I had enough cash to grab a 360 right now (and still have enough to spend on the Wii).

I wonder how much the extra features not yet shown in Lost Odyssey's battle system will help boost it from charmingly traditional to mindblowingly creative. Blue Dragon actually looks better at this point, but that's probably because we've seen more environments and variation from it.

The Bioshock video was awesome. I so want to play this game. It may all be somewhat evolutionary on concepts that were already kickstarted in System Shock and Deus Ex, but that's exactly what makes it so exciting. I will gladly take a game that polishes and details that precious raw ore and pushes it to new levels.

Some true must buy titles for me. At last the 360 console is giving me the classic feeling i used to have when i first saw the likes of Soul Blade, Wipeout and Final Fantasy VII for the first time! I have to say it would be good to see the 360 doing well in Japan. It has huge potential as a games machine and the more of this we can get the more Japanese devs will start putting soul into making titles for it and the Live Arcade side of the business. Especially the smaller companies who don't have the resources to put huge "20 gig" PS3 titles in HD (because that is the heart and path to a true consoles ability) out there. Live is a sound business model and I hope more small devs. can give us some of their magic.

Everyone should own a 360 - if only for Riiiiidge Raaaaacer!!!!!

I really was disappointed by the Bioshock video.

Mainly because everything sounds like complete bullshit. OK, the background and the art style are plainly impressive but the AI and the gameplay ? Did these sound even believable ?

Don't tell I should find mind-blowing a monster reacting only when you enter a certain zone and don't tell me I shouldn't find weird that standing a few steps from the same guardian and aiming at him with a huge gun doesn't seem to make him care ?!

The other thing is that it is supposed to be a FPS which doesn't chose the path for me... yet, the character I'm going to play is always holding a gun. Yeah alright. And about the ammo.. WHAT ?! There are weapons turning out to be more efficient against some ennemies than other ? Wow, that is truly innovation .:shifty:

I'll definitely wait for other sutff to be enthusiastic, if I didn't know that the same guys were behind the System Shocks, Thief and Deus Ex games I would swear that what I just I saw was a pethetic attempt to mix an horror-survival with a first person view.

You must be very suggestible if the character holding a gun forces you down a certain path.

Yeah, no kidding, all those games make me wish I had enough cash to grab a 360 right now (and still have enough to spend on the Wii).

I just did last week. Unwisely, I might add. Got Dead Rising and Lego Star Wars II with it and am really enjoying myself, but taking a bunch of extra shifts at work to cover the costs means that I don't get to spend all that much time with it. Oh well. Once I get paid in a week, everything should stabilize once more and I can eat some real food again. Still, it seems like there are few better times that I could have picked to take the plunge for the system.

Trusty Bell: Chopin's Dream (tri-Crescendo/Namco - RPG. Holy crap!)

I'm still baffled by this. I mean, the concept is just so bizarre. Frederic Chopin had a dream before he died of some magical Japanese RPG land with turn based battles? :erm:

Also, according to IGN, Chopin died after World War 2.

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/761/761569.html

QUALITY IGN WRITING AT ITS BEST

If you take out the A.I, which looks interesting in its own right, Bioshock is basically just System Shock 2 in a new environment.

Case in point: That whole bit about the security camera. You can either shoot it and waste ammunition, run past it and risk detection, or use up your Adam in the security console to disable it for a short time. Set the alarm off and enemies will keep chasing after you until the timer finishes counting down or you hack a security box.

All of that is the exact same way Shock 2 was. Take out the graphics and the supposedly fantastic AI, and I don't see what makes this game so revolutionary. 's not necessarily a bad thing, since I love Shock 2, but I was expecting something a little bit different. ;(

What's the current prices of the X360s ?

Too fucking much, honestly. (about $500 Canadian) Especially once Live and the wireless reciever are factored in. I'd just gotten my scholarship cheque so I was feeling kinda rich and like it was time for a needless expensive purchase. The 360 had a bunch of stuff I was interested in, and was looking better all the time, so that was what I went for. Came bundled with Gotham Racing 3, if that's your thing. (it really isn't mine, but hell I'll take a free game if they're giving it away)

HOORAY for art direction! All those games look a hundred times more interesting than, uhh, MotorStorm or Resistance: Fall of Man.

Sorry for turning it into another console thing, but it's true.

Lost Odyssey looks fantastic. I know it is just the opening cinematic but the look of contrast in the WWII grit and the medieval metals are just great. But i am a sucker for that sort of style (much like Konami's Ring of Red birth child with Kingdom Under Fire). The motion of him running and swinging that sword is just great. There are some cool ideas knocking around in that game. Even it it amounts to not much more than an HD version of Dynasty Warriors, i am still going to enjoy it.

The tech of Forza 2 - well, i can't even begin to go into the joy that will be.

Project Sylpheed, Blue Dragon, and Lost Planet are all on the radar for me too. The 360 definately has the games I am interested in across a solid spectrum. They have a really strong second console here.

About Bioshock (sorry, BioShock!), it seems to me they did some marketing switchy thing a while back where they went from describing it as the sort of game SS2 is, which I guess is sort of a first person RPG or whatever, to calling it a FPS. Also, it seems they're focusing more on the actiony elements than the RPG elements when talking about the game. Hopefully it's just a smart marketing move to get more people to buy it rather than descriptive of some sudden change of design direction.

Judging from interviews I've read and that video above, I think the game is still on track to being a spiritual System Shock 3. The decision to focus on the FPS-ness (SS1 and 2 are fps games too, remember) is marketting, yeah. The system shock games aren't all that well known, particularly so among the console crowd. To a large extent, they're marketting the game from scratch, which explains why Levine says it's getting rid of fps clichés and so on (which is a little overblown, but he's known to be a bit excitable).

Bioshock isn't doing anything that System Shock didn't do, but then, not much of System Shock rubbed off on other FPS games (Deus Ex notwithstanding). They need to sell to the Halo bunch, and this is probably a reasonable way to do it.

Also; Trusty Bell is getting the name "Eternal Sonata" for the US release next year.

If you take out the A.I, which looks interesting in its own right, Bioshock is basically just System Shock 2 in a new environment.

Case in point: That whole bit about the security camera. You can either shoot it and waste ammunition, run past it and risk detection, or use up your Adam in the security console to disable it for a short time. Set the alarm off and enemies will keep chasing after you until the timer finishes counting down or you hack a security box.

All of that is the exact same way Shock 2 was. Take out the graphics and the supposedly fantastic AI, and I don't see what makes this game so revolutionary. 's not necessarily a bad thing, since I love Shock 2, but I was expecting something a little bit different. ;(

I think the major difference (based on that one video) is the unscripted AI and the way that those characters interact with one another. I admit though it does look an awful lot like Shock 2.

Like Tycho said:

"If the thought of exploring a disintegrating subaquatic dystopia doesn't keep you up all night sometimes, then I don't know if we could ever really be friends."