Guest Monkey

Sam and Max is coming back

You're not telling me this is news to you?:eek:

Anyway, since we're talking about Sam and Max, what does everyone think about possibilities of S&M on Wii? According to Telltale they have been recently contacted by Nintendo following a heap of fan requests. I find this quite exciting, not just for S&M, but also for the possibilities this could open up for the Virtual Console.:woohoo:

Only snag: Will LucasArts let them use their old properties? Depressingly, I find that doubtful.:violin:

Only snag: Will LucasArts let them use their old properties? Depressingly, I find that doubtful.:violin:

huh? Are you referring to the original game? Probably not that big of an issue. Just wait for the Wii version of scummvm. :tup:

LucasArts has absolutely no power over the new Sam and Max. As for old LA titles on Virtual Console, there's no real reason Nintendo and LA couldn't make a deal about that. Probably depends on how much LA would want for those rights.

Maybe virtual console will get the NES version of Maniac Mansion... :shifty:

As for the episodes, fuckin' right! Hell, the Wii could bring back point and click gaming with it's controller.

No, it was the two previous sequels that were cancelled.

cancelled #1, cancelled #2. Not cancelled and the first episode coming out in November.

I'm spamming up the whole internet with the following. So sue me...

Sam & Max adventuregaming on the Wii, eh? Everyone seems very excited about the potential, but...

Will it be practical to play it on anything other than sitting 3 feet away from a a huge, HD TV?

Won't small objects get lost on the screen when you're sitting 10 feet away, and how much 'wobble' would there be in using the controller to precicely move the cursor?

I guess it's all potentially doable and able to be played, as everyone's so positive about the idea. But I do wonder if the gimmick of being able to play on your TV set / Wii won't be offset with frustration issues stemming from cursor control and reading text / object hunting?

I can read those hilarious signs in Boscos on my nice 21" monitor a foot-and-a-half from my face, but it'd be near impossible to make out anything more than a blur on my regular old TV while sitting on my couch.

Wouldn't it?

No. You deal with these issues in console ports. Make the text larger, that's easy. Maybe tweak camera angles and such. There doesn't seem to be any cursor wobble on the Wii, at least not on the newer gameplay videos of Metroid and Zelda I've seen.

Only snag: Will LucasArts let them use their old properties? Depressingly, I find that doubtful.

LucasArts has absolutely no power over the new Sam and Max. As for old LA titles on Virtual Console, there's no real reason Nintendo and LA couldn't make a deal about that. Probably depends on how much LA would want for those rights.

It's just they've been downright hostile to the idea in the past.

Lucasarts be wantin' to prove to the world that they don't need original ideas to be plunderin' in the wealth. :fart: Yarrr. 'Tis sad indeed.

Games are fruit. Specially in case of online games.

Should a game from 1998 still cost it's initial retail price? ofcourse not, there is no support (and therefor degraded in quality) and it might not work on your current system (e.g. Windows XP didn't exist). Ok, so 8 years is a long time ago. Still, after 3 years most developers (if they still exists) and publishers dropped support for the game (EA even drops support after the game is barely 1 year old).

Ofcourse you don't buy games for support and you expect the games to work without too much issues. But still, it stupid to expect people to buy old games when they can buy new games for the same price. People might buy the old games if they were cheaper. It's the tradeoff between no sale or less profit to less loss.

I think games have similarities to fruit and that in most cases, they age. The big injustice is of course how much time it actually takes (years and years) for a game to age, versus how much time a game is given to shine (weeks).

Will it be practical to play it on anything other than sitting 3 feet away from a a huge, HD TV?

Won't small objects get lost on the screen when you're sitting 10 feet away, and how much 'wobble' would there be in using the controller to precicely move the cursor?

I guess it's all potentially doable and able to be played, as everyone's so positive about the idea. But I do wonder if the gimmick of being able to play on your TV set / Wii won't be offset with frustration issues stemming from cursor control and reading text / object hunting?

I can read those hilarious signs in Boscos on my nice 21" monitor a foot-and-a-half from my face, but it'd be near impossible to make out anything more than a blur on my regular old TV while sitting on my couch.

Wouldn't it?

Sure a few graphical tweaks might be necessary, but it's not like this sort of thing hasn't been done before. There are lots of adventures that have received console ports, including Monkey Island 4, and I don't think that game suffered much in the transition (at least as far as the concerns you brought up). Text was made easier to read and pixel hunting wasn't really any less or more of a problem...that damn banana picker was equally inconspicuous in the PC version. I don't think the Wiimote suffers from "wobbling," either...but that's something that really can't be seen until we get our hands on it. As far as I know if you don't have trouble with wobbling using your mouse you shouldn't with the pointer. The PC version might be the ideal one, but I really can't think of a reason why Sam & Max couldn't work quite well on the Wii.

I don't think the Wiimote suffers from "wobbling," either...but that's something that really can't be seen until we get our hands on it. As far as I know if you don't have trouble with wobbling using your mouse you shouldn't with the pointer. The PC version might be the ideal one, but I really can't think of a reason why Sam & Max couldn't work quite well on the Wii.

I've been mistakenly thinking the remote works kind of like a light-gun, and the cursor would be controlled by where on the screen you are pointing... but now I realise it's more like a wireless joystick with motion sensing, so a sweep down would move the cursor down, even if the remote isn't aimed directly at the screen.

Makes a lot more sense now!

Anyway, since we're talking about Sam and Max, what does everyone think about possibilities of S&M on Wii? According to Telltale they have been recently contacted by Nintendo following a heap of fan requests. I find this quite exciting, not just for S&M, but also for the possibilities this could open up for the Virtual Console.:woohoo:

I like what people are attributing to "according to Telltale." That blog of Emily's didn't actually say all that much, but people are reading a shitton into it. More clearly stated information can be found here.

waiting to continue in a story sucks, specially when it's a long wait

I doubt Sam and Max will have story arcs spanning multiple seasons, though. Oh, in any case, Sam and Max would be a Virtual Console offering, so I guess this is a moot discussion.

I doubt Sam and Max will have story arcs spanning multiple seasons, though.

I think they're self-contained episodes/cases, but with an overarc-ing 'uber-plot', a la X Files or whatever.