Sign in to follow this  
Duncan

The Star Wars DVDs

Did anyone actually buy these?

I did. ;(

I don't know. I know I'm getting fucked over by the usual Lucasfilm bullshit -- putting low quality versions out there so they can get away with see, these aren't that great, you never really wanted them, right? -- but at the same time I want the damn movies. :getmecoat I haven't even seen them in nearly fifteen years.

I didn't buy the 2004 DVDs because I hated the changes that much, and the edits to bring it in line with the useless prequel trilogy. I do like having the audio commentaries for the 2004 versions though.

The original versions are labelled as "bonus discs." How dare you.

Also, Return of the Jedi = UNDERRATED. I'm sorry but there it is.

True, Jedi is by far the worst of the three. I don't have the DVDs yet, but plan to get them soon. I also didn't buy the 2004 ones because I knew this would come along eventually, so I'd like to actually own the movies in one way or another.

I only own the VHS versions of the original trilogy.

I didn't buy the 2004 set, because I hate that altered crap.

I'm not sure if I'll buy this original trilogy on dvd.

True, Jedi is by far the worst of the three.

No Miffy, Duncan said UNDERrated, not overrated :) I don't know about rates, but I can tell you that the last time I saw the trilogy, Empire (which I had always deemed superior) was a bit disappointing, whereas Jedi (which I always saw as a bit boring) was surprisingly good.

Ep 4 - fun

Ep 5 - boring

Ep 6 - shit except the Palpatine/Vader/Skywalker finale

Ep 1 - shit, obv.

Ep 2 - fun

Ep 3 - lots of fun

Overall, not as good as the Tremors quadrilogy.

Ep 4 - fun

Ep 5 - boring

Ep 1 - shit, obv.

Ep 2 - fun

Ep 3 - lots of fun

Banned.

Yeah, not only have you called the most exciting, fast-paced one as "boring", but you've labelled the absolute worst one (which is a travesty to cinema in general, let alone the Star Wars saga) as "fun". Just get out now.

And no - I haven't got these new DVDs Duncan. If you want to have the originals at the same quality (i.e. ripped from the laserdisc versions and without the "re-mastered" touch up given to the VHS versions) then all you have to do is get the rips from the laserdisc versions off ebay. They may not be official but they have the benefit of not including the 'new editions' with all their bullshit.

Ep 4 - fun

Ep 5 - boring

Ep 1 - shit, obv.

Ep 2 - fun

Ep 3 - lots of fun

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(INTAKE OF AIR)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ARRRRTGHHHHHHHH

:frusty::frusty::frusty::tdown::tdown::tdown::scary::hitler::zoid::cens0red::wtf::cens0red::cens0red::wtf::cens0red::wtf::wtf:

Ep 4 - fun

Ep 5 - boring

Ep 1 - shit, obv.

Ep 2 - fun

Ep 3 - lots of fun

So basically you're just completely out of your mind.

I'm still waiting for fucked up starwars fanboys to raise children and show them the movies in the story order ( episode 1 to 6), study their gnomes' reaction... and then commit suicide.

Man, how long do we have to wait ?

You really think the truly fucked up Star Wars fanboys will have children? I believe mister Darwin and mister Dawkins would like a word with you...

I friend of mine performed that experiment on his girlfriend when he found out that she had no knowledge of Star Wars. To his relief she preferred the classic trilogy.

Ep 4 - fun

Ep 5 - boring

Ep 1 - shit, obv.

Ep 2 - fun

Ep 3 - lots of fun

i looked at this and kind of snickerred to myself since it's basically the opposite of how I would rank the movies:

Ep 4- great

Ep 5- great (again)

Ep 6- My favorite of the original three by a small margin

Ep 1 - Fun

Ep 2-complete crap

Ep 3- a good end to the trilogy

Yeah, Episode 1 wasn't as bad as everyone says. Personally, I still prefer the Indy series to any of the Star Wars movies, but my rankings would go:

Empire

New Hope

Jedi

Phantom

Sith

Clones

Sith had some good action and fun bits, but no Darth Maul. Between Portman's acting (or just her script. Whatever) going down the shitter and the lack of a real badass villain (How much faster could Tyrannus and Greivous have dropped?) Episode 3 didn't live up to what it could have been. A decent end, but not as good as all that.

Oh, and I picked up the DVDs earlier today. HMV had 'em bundled so you could get all 3 for $75. Sweet crap. Fucking 4:3 letterboxed. At least I have them now.

Sith had some good action and fun bits, but no Darth Maul. Between Portman's acting (or just her script. Whatever) going down the shitter and the lack of a real badass villain (How much faster could Tyrannus and Greivous have dropped?) Episode 3 didn't live up to what it could have been. A decent end, but not as good as all that.

Sith loses a million points for "nooooo", and "ok I am dark side now", both of which were kind of the point of the entire prequel trilogy. I haven't seen any of the prequels since they were released so I don't feel comfortable ranking them, I think they're all pretty much shit and as such their positions are negligible. I would say Phantom Menace does have the advantage of just being kind of bland and inoffensive when compared to the other two. The best thing Sith has going for it is Ian McDiarmid, who was really good. Best actor in the prequels, easily.

Also, yeah, Indy tops Star Wars for me too. Although Empire, for sure, and probably New Hope/Jedi edges out Temple of Doom.

Also, yeah, Indy tops Star Wars for me too. Although Empire, for sure, and probably New Hope/Jedi edges out Temple of Doom.

The Last Crusade isn't actually that good either, but Raiders is truly the best of all Lucas' films.

The Last Crusade isn't actually that good

Woah woah woah, and people say I'm crazy?

Oh wait, I had this argument in an earlier thread:

Are you crazy? Last Crusade is a brilliant film! It's funny, exciting, inventive. Brilliant acting, stunts, direction, script, setpieces, score. It can't quite touch Raiders, but by going on a lighter tack it sets itself apart from the first film, and so doesn't have to match it.

Frankly, the tank action sequence near the end which Spielberg manages to sustain for about 20 minutes, moving effortlessly back and forth between action, laughs and emotional moments, justifies the film on its own.

PS I'm so predictable, I was going to start this reply by subtly quoting all three Indy films ("Are you crazy?"), before I realised I'd already done so in the one I'm quoting...