Wrestlevania

Psychonauts on Steam

Because I'm an unreasonable man! Sigh, OK, I'll sign up... But what's this about payment shit? What are the payment options? If it's only credit card and no PayPal, it's useless anyway.

Just refreshed and it's hit $404,048 already.

If you use Amazon to shop at all then it just ties in the payment info you use for that as you login with your Amazon account.

My money, take all of it.

One particularly nice thing about this is that I assume they'll be using Double Fine's usual in-house tech, which is some pretty splendid shit and could make for one seriously pretty adventure game. :tup:

I don't have an amazon account =( I can't even give my money to Double Fine as a credit card-less European bum.

Bloody hell, how have you gone this long without an Amazon account? It's the best place for buying just about anything, not least of which is games. :erm:

Bloody hell, how have you gone this long without an Amazon account? It's the best place for buying just about anything, not least of which is games. :erm:

I think I've only ever bought 1 game from Amazon! I've only ever used it for cheap lps/cds.

A large part of Psychonauts' charm for me was the whole campground/asylum experience. I absolutely loved exploring those places, finding the hidden areas, etc — and the way the characters were doing an almost ridiculous amount of different things throughout the game was great.

Going back to the actual topic of this thread...

I agree with Thrik. The levels and Psychonauting in the game were great, but it was the in-between stuff that made it for me. If Psychonauts 2 happens, then it will be pretty much impossible to capture exactly what made the original so special. It may well be a brilliant game, but I sincerely doubt I'll end up loving it in exactly the same way.

So, in other words, we'll all have to reset our expectations to avoid being disappointed.

I'm considering a replay of it again at the moment but I'm torn between starting it on the pc or xbox.

PC seems to be winning at the moment but I don't game that much on it recently. I'd probably get through it quicker on the xbox, shame you can't install original xbox games.

I'm considering a replay of it again at the moment but I'm torn between starting it on the pc or xbox.

PC seems to be winning at the moment but I don't game that much on it recently. I'd probably get through it quicker on the xbox, shame you can't install original xbox games.

You should grab it on Steam, you get some fun achievements with it, and they made the Meat Circus slightly easier.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3830/

Yeah, Steam version got a recent patch that doesn't appear to be available for original copies of the PC version. Meant to be some graphical enhancements too but I've not verified.

http://www.psychonauts.com/

Oh, weird. You used to be able to download Psychonauts through the 360 marketplace. Wonder when they took it down?

Probably for the best, though. If I remember right, the backwards compatibility engineers at Microsoft introduced a visual bug that blued out Raz's costume after using the journal, and Microsoft executives wouldn't allow a fix even after Double Fine volunteered to help them for free.

Oh, weird. You used to be able to download Psychonauts through the 360 marketplace. Wonder when they took it down?

Probably for the best, though. If I remember right, the backwards compatibility engineers at Microsoft introduced a visual bug that blued out Raz's costume after using the journal, and Microsoft executives wouldn't allow a fix even after Double Fine volunteered to help them for free.

It's a shame, I always figured it was down to the publishing rights reverting back to Double Fine from Majesco?

Psychonauts 2 might possibly happen.

"I was like, 'I don't think you can make [it] for a million dollars.' The original game was, I think, $13 million, I think you have to match the original game."

"As soon as I mentioned the amount of money he said, 'Yeah, I can do that.'"

Yeah, I've put a moratorium on more good news this week, I just can't handle it anymore, the constant giddiness.

It's a shame, I always figured it was down to the publishing rights reverting back to Double Fine from Majesco?

I don't think it was anything sinister. I remember the DF admin saying that Psychonauts was going to return to XBL at some point - I'm surprised it hasn't.

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply something sinister had occurred, just that Majesco would have put it on there initially but the publishing rights would have since expired.

I'm guessing Xbox Originals falls under the same guidelines as XBLA whereby you can't have a game on there that's self published?

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply something sinister had occurred, just that Majesco would have put it on there initially but the publishing rights would have since expired.

I'm guessing Xbox Originals falls under the same guidelines as XBLA whereby you can't have a game on there that's self published?

Weird. Is that really a guideline?? How did Monkey Island: SE get on there, then?

Weird. Is that really a guideline?? How did Monkey Island: SE get on there, then?

I always figured that's why Double Fine needed THQ etc for XBLA, similar reason for why games like Limbo etc got picked up by Microsoft Game Studios.

Just found the original article actually, quite an interesting read, especially

Microsoft requires all XBLA titles be attached with a publishing partner, meaning neither Amanita Design and Golgoth Studio can self-publish the games on the XBLA platform

I always figured that's why Double Fine needed THQ etc for XBLA, similar reason for why games like Limbo etc got picked up by Microsoft Game Studios.

Just found the original article actually, quite an interesting read, especially

Wow, what a crazy system MS have created... I have to wonder who published Monkey Island: SE on the XBOX then. Sucks that LucasArts couldn't do it themselves?

Wow, what a crazy system MS have created... I have to wonder who published Monkey Island: SE on the XBOX then. Sucks that LucasArts couldn't do it themselves?

Checking xbox.com, the first SE was published by "Xbox LIVE Arcade," while the second SE has LucasArts listed as both developer and publisher. Hooray for special treatment and arbitrary rules. :shifty:

Was the original SE a timed exclusive?

now if Tom Hall and Notch's money would come together and create Anachronox 2 my life would be complete®

Lucasarts have always been both developer and publisher. Except for when they outsource development, in which case they're just publisher.

I don't really get what the difference is between them and the indie self-published companies though.