Wrestlevania

Psychonauts on Steam

Give me a $10-ish a brain experience! Maybe the fist episode could drop a hub world with a tutorial brain and the first real one, and then each subsequent episode drops a new brain or two into the mix? Armchair game design, that'd be how I'd like to come at a Psychonauts 2.

A large part of Psychonauts' charm for me was the whole campground/asylum experience. I absolutely loved exploring those places, finding the hidden areas, etc — and the way the characters were doing an almost ridiculous amount of different things throughout the game was great.

I think rather than see it done episodically, I'd prefer that the game be released as an in-depth overworld (albeit perhaps only part of it) with a bunch of brains and considerable amount of narrative so people can truly get sucked in rather than start getting into the game and find the episode is over and lose interest by the time the next one comes out (big problem with Telltale's games IMO, one that's resulted in me not finishing most of their series).

Then, further brains and storyline can be added in a DLC-like manner. Like episodes, but with the first one being bigger rather than each having its own distinct version of the overworld, etc.

Edited by Thrik

Armchair game design, that'd be how I'd like to come at a Psychonauts 2.

God no, he's terrible at game design.

Just give him a chance. If it's episodic, we can always ditch him and start over on part 2.

Just give him a chance. If it's episodic, we can always ditch him and start over on part 2.

But you know how he gets!

Minecraft was first available as an alpha for about €10, and later as a beta for about €15. Around the end of last year he reported that he's sold about 4,000,000 copies, meaning he's sitting on at least:

• €40,000,000
  • £33,000,000
  • $53,000,000

That calculation is made with the assumption that all sales were €10, whereas in reality many if not most of them were probably €15 — so you could very easily add another €10m or so onto that. Also these sales figures are from last year, and he has no real publishing costs to deal with.

Yep, I think it past $50M several months ago.

You can look at the number of sales here http://www.minecraft.net/stats (almost 5 million sales now). Somewhere there was a number that said how many had been sold with the old price (€10), I used that to calculate the $50M some time the 2011 fall, but forgot where I found that. I would estimate the current number to be $65M

[edit] found a quote: "The game sold about 800,000 copies at €9.95 and then so far 1 million more at €14.95" src: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109044-Minecraft-Sales-Figures-Reveal-33-Million-in-Diamonds

[edit] removed totally wrong calculations

[edit] so according to that Mojang's income from Minecraft sales has been 69 000 000 € or about 90 000 000 $

Edited by Erkki

I love how a person saying "I'll use my money to fund a sequel to a beloved game" somehow still manages to get negative comments on Rock Paper Shotgun.

Yeah, I noticed that. What a bunch of douches.

To be honest I don't think EA could have done much better than they did, it was a fairly excellent marketing campaign — an infinitely better effort than the laughable approach taken by Majesco. The real problem was that Brutal Legend wasn't that sellable and actually not as good as it could have been, so no marketing campaign could really have saved it.

I don't think it was unsellable so much as it was a weird game to bestow the AAA treatment on. Why would you make a love letter to Herzog Zwei, however amazing and unique the world, however extensive the soundtrack and however high profile the celebrity talent, a game that needs to sell a million units to break even?

I love the single player campaign for the exploration and the mythology stuff and I loved the surreal insanity that was the game's (and Tim's) relentless presence in the media, but it's pretty clear that Brutal Legend was much more fit to be an XBLA game centered around the stage battles than a big budget holiday title that had to be marketed in a misleading way.

OMFG! :tup:

This is the day when the internet truly became something wonderful.

Fuck yes!

Has someone checked that Remo didn't get a heart attack already?

This thing has happen. I'll be putting my money on the line today immediately.

Already half of the budget gathered in less than a day. I love internet and game fans. :)

One hour ago that I checked the project was at $160000, in hour it leaped to $200000 and some rich awesome contributor put over $10000 on the line and gets to go on a DATE with Tim and Ron etc.

I wish I was rich and had a lot of extra money laying around, I would put 100 dollars immediately on the project. As is, I have to settle for less.

Also, that Double Fine Tim Schafer video at the project page is so damn hilarious.

Wait.... is this real? This can't be real... can it really be happening so quickly? :eek:

To be clear, the kickstarter is for an adventure game, psychonauts 2 is a separate thing that may or may not happen.

I don't think my brain can handle the possibility of a new Pyschonauts and a new Tim Schafer adventure game... :eek:

Hmm, maybe he'll give Pyschonauts 2 a shot if this one goes well? I'm going to go sell a kidney or two so I can afford a bigger donation. :tup:

I'd support this if Amazon didn't stop me. I wonder why Kickstarter hasn't found some payment alternatives – I've had nothing but problems supporting their projectes through Amazon.

This is just amazing!

I've had nothing but success using Amazon with Kickstarter!

However, that means I'm broke now..

I'll have money for backing this up before the 33 days are up, though!

I would have liked some details on what they had in mind other than just a 'point and click adventure'. There are dozens of those produced every year - what will make Double Fine's game special? Schafer and Gilbert are talented, we know that, but it seems presumptuous that their game will automatically transcend the other output from other companies making adventures. All developers are capable of producing stinkers.

I also can't say I'm interested in the film documentary and disliked the way it was portrayed as a kind of gift for us audiences, rather than more publicity for them at our expense.

....and we're back to normal!

Since I'm exceptionally averse to signing up to anything, is there any way beyond Facebook (which I don't have) to give money to this project?

No, before that. You either create a Kickstarter account, or you can sign in with Facebook. Neither are acceptable.

JESUS CHRIST MONKEY BALLS

My $15 is in, I checked about 2 hours ago and it was at $224,000 ish and now it has jumped to $388,802, I'd say this project will be funded by the end of the day let alone the month, they'll probably be able to finance a sequel too.