Wrestlevania

Psychonauts on Steam

Everything is turned on, as I recall. I run at 1680 x 1050. I'm willing to bet it's your monitor. VLC and PowerDVD will draw black lines down the side of your screen. Psychonauts outputs pure 4:3. So really you're right, it's the game's fault for not being more compatible. But check your monitor, you never know, there might be a setting somewhere.
Sadly, no. My monitor is set to display things as they are. Even old school VGA-era games display correctly.

I just checked again; when the FMVs are playing, my monitor reports that the resolution is 1920x1080, so that's what the game is pushing out. Also, my monitor generally flickers when the resolution changes and that doesn't happen, so I'm quite sure that the game is, in fact, stretching the FMVs.

Sadly, no. My monitor is set to display things as they are. Even old school VGA-era games display correctly.

I just checked again; when the FMVs are playing, my monitor reports that the resolution is 1920x1080, so that's what the game is pushing out. Also, my monitor generally flickers when the resolution changes and that doesn't happen, so I'm quite sure that the game is, in fact, stretching the FMVs.

As I said, everything was stretched last night... but I could have sworn that videos were 4:3 when I first played the Steam version the day before. I vividly remember an orange box in the middle of my screen when the DF logo appeared and feeling chuffed. No amount of fiddling could repeat this yesterday, though. Ah, well.

They're currently patching the problems, so if enough people complain about it on the DF forums, there's a chance they might sort it out.

If any of you were looking for justification for buying the same game twice, this should be more than enough:

http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/10979610401/why-doublefine-is-the-greatest-game-company-ever

It's not enough for some people (comments section - reads from bottom to top):

http://mixnmojo.com/news/Fan-makes-Psychonauts-Steam-patch-available-for-all

Man, and I just replayed the whole game on Xbox 1. Don't own it on Steam, but will definitely buy if it ever goes on sale (I have no problem buying it multiple times, I actually own three copies of the Xbox version, but I know I won't play the Steam version for a while). I really hope they do release an HD version on 360 though, day 1 buy!

I bought retail copy twice. At the time I thought I was supporting Double Fine, but chances are not a single cent went to them. Maybe I'll get it on steam now that DF owns it (or maybe I'll just wait for a sale :D).

It's phenomenally good. Even better than I remember. I'm so enjoying playing through it again at the moment. Tim Schafer + Erik Wolpaw + Scott Campbell + Peter McConnell + Peter Chan + Other talented people = Pure Genius.

That thread of comments on Mojo is pretty moot considering you can easily get a port of the patch for the regular retail release, and I'll be really surprised if Double Fine don't also stick a standalone version up on their newly revamped Psychonauts website at some point in the near future seeing as they took down the old patches too when they updated it which is kind of a pain seeing as they fixed some game-crippling issues.

For the sake of principle though, I can agree with both sides. Supporting a company by buying their games more than once is a wonderful gesture, but if you're in a situation where you just don't have the disposable cash to throw at buying the same things multiple twice yet you invested in that company by buying it the first time around it's quite reasonable to feel a little uncared for. Considering a fan was able to port the Steam patch in as little as a day or so it clearly wasn't a big deal for Double Fine to do.

I actually bought two retail copies of Psychonauts so I'd have to buy a third to enjoy this patch's small additions. I'm not in a Psychonauts mood though so it's not something that registers to me as a problem. :fart:

Hey, I totally understand feeling uncared for. I just don't understand claiming that DF are deliberately screwing people over. Also, apparently buying a game twice is the stupidest thing that dude has ever heard of - which is just a really dumb thing to say.

So is Psychonauts DLC or... ohmygod... Psychonauts 2 actually happening? Or has Double Fine stated some other reason for the sudden revival of the original?

Well the main reason is probably the the rights to Psychonauts reverted to Double Fine just a few months ago, but of course that in itself means there could be more from the IP in the future. :tup:

Psychonauts 2 confirmed!

Not funny, sir. Not funny at all.

Schafer mentions that people are going to think there will be a Psychonauts 2 because of their sudden work on Psychonauts 1, but as I understand it, it goes something like this: A big fan decided to invest money in getting them to convert it to the Mac, while DF got the rights back to the game.

In the new DF podcast, Schafer says there is no Psychonauts 2, simply because they don't have the money for it... unless Psychonauts 1 suddenly sells millions on Steam.

I always thought an episodic sequel would work wonderfully for Psychonauts, given the structure of the game.

I always thought an episodic sequel would work wonderfully for Psychonauts, given the structure of the game.

Ditto. Maybe have some sort of puzzle-piece structure across all the episodes—where there is one hub area with portals to the areas of each episode, and as the episodes are made and released, the hub area's portals open up. Alternatively—or maybe better yet—it can follow the TellTale model where the assets are recycled from one episode to the next.

Interesting thing about the "new" trailer Double Fine is using for Psychonauts on the Steam page and revamped official site - it's actually a trailer that Tim premiered at GDC 2004 (just before Microsoft dropped the game) but was otherwise not publicly viewable until now. Some aspects of it were carried over into the one that coincided with the Majesco announcement later that year and so may seem familiar, but this is definitely a never-before-seen (to most of us) trailer that was cut together seven and a half years ago. The proof is in the last few minutes of Tim's excellent lecture about character design at the conference.

In the new DF podcast...
Thanks for mentioning that there's a new podcast! They haven't posted it in the Action News, so I didn't know.

Ditto. Maybe have some sort of puzzle-piece structure across all the episodes—where there is one hub area with portals to the areas of each episode, and as the episodes are made and released, the hub area's portals open up. Alternatively—or maybe better yet—it can follow the TellTale model where the assets are recycled from one episode to the next.

I love the first idea of a hub world with expanding, new levels, but I always thought the recycling in Telltale games felt a little cheap. I also love the idea of the hub world being 'persistent', that you could mess around in it for days before the actual new content comes out instead of 'finishing' an episode and then not playing.

Can't find the mythological, new podcast on the DF site though.

Nothing would please me in the whole world of video games as much as a Psychonauts sequel, possibly episodic. Despite everything Tim is saying in the iTunes-only podcast which I've not been able to listen to about there not being a Psychonauts 2 in the works, the idea is simply too strong to listen to that. No Psychonauts 2 being made, you say? Wrong, there is. There is because a world in which it is not so, isn't a world we should be living in.

Conversely, I must become rich and finance it?

Nothing would please me in the whole world of video games as much as a Psychonauts sequel, possibly episodic. Despite everything Tim is saying in the iTunes-only podcast which I've not been able to listen to about there not being a Psychonauts 2 in the works, the idea is simply too strong to listen to that. No Psychonauts 2 being made, you say? Wrong, there is. There is because a world in which it is not so, isn't a world we should be living in.

What does he know? Who does he think he is? Why should we listen to him?

Besides, according to many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics (which is totally correct by the way), there is a vast number of universes where Psychonauts 2 is already in the works. Because the number of these good universes is for all intends and purposes infinite, it naturally follows that one of them must be ours.