OftenK

The Wii's Launch

Wii Connect 24 may fuck up any possible modchips. I know that with the 360, it'll check your system for mods whenever you boot up against the latest "standard" 360 hardware/software architecture that's online. Whether you're trying to get around regions with a chip or a patch, you're hosed. I assume that since the Wii is online all the time, a similar problem would occur.

but the way the controller is used in Metroid is not intrusive on the game play. Metroid Corruption is great on it's own game play values, not simply because it's "Metroid with the Wii controller". The game itself is still the star.

okay i guess i'll reserve my judgement until i play it ;)

Wii Connect 24 may fuck up any possible modchips. I know that with the 360, it'll check your system for mods whenever you boot up against the latest "standard" 360 hardware/software architecture that's online. Whether you're trying to get around regions with a chip or a patch, you're hosed.

Not true.

The original Xbox mod chip setups allow you to enable or disable them as you wish. So you can still play online when you want, and load up "imports" at other times.

Fucking region-locking piece of shit.

The region-freeness of my DS was a big part of what made it so cool, that I could get my games from wherever. Now Nintendo's gone all Sony-ish with their suits and rules and shit. The shitness is even rubbing off on my DS now!

Anyone know what the regions will be? If it's like the DVD regions at least I'll be able to get the same stuff as the rest of Europe, which is all right. If it's by country, though... Jesus.

For what it's worth: apparently a developer asked Nintendo and this is more related to PAL/NTSC technicalities than actual region locking.

For what it's worth: apparently a developer asked Nintendo and this is more related to PAL/NTSC technicalities than actual region locking.

It's looking like we still haven't gotten to the bottom of this.

I just wondered, has there ever been a Nintendo console that was buggy at launch (a la PS2) ?

My gf is going in half way with me on the Wii, and wondered if we should wait "until the bugs are worked out." I told her that Nintendo had no bugs.

Did I lie?:eek:

I'd have to say no. My nes still works fine.

Wii Connect 24 may fuck up any possible modchips. I know that with the 360, it'll check your system for mods whenever you boot up against the latest "standard" 360 hardware/software architecture that's online. Whether you're trying to get around regions with a chip or a patch, you're hosed. I assume that since the Wii is online all the time, a similar problem would occur.

It won't be able to connect if you don't have wi-fi.

It won't be able to connect if you don't have wi-fi.

But then you wouldn't be able to use all the online shit.

There's online shit, right?

But then you wouldn't be able to use all the online shit.

There's online shit, right?

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but uh, yeah there's online capabilities but not without an internet connection (which would require wi-fi). Online would be weather, news and multiplayer.

I don't see what all the fuss over region-locking is ... Nintendo has *always* been this way. Home consoles are region-locked, handhelds aren't.

SiN

and this is exactly what makes me shudder... not just games coming out 6 months late but even worse, no guaranteed 60hz option and the likelihood of them putting PAL roms up on the virtual console so that they have french/german language etc. I can't even bear the thought of downloading sonic/super mario world on a PAL Wii and having them run slow at 50hz with borders, i would scream!

So it's definitely an imported US Wii for me, and even then i'm worried they will find a way to prevent non-us credit card holders from buying VC credits or from connecting to the service or something :(

My gf is going in half way with me on the Wii, and wondered if we should wait "until the bugs are worked out."

Are you sure that you and your gf were talking about the same thing?

(No, I don't know of any launch-time bugs, other than some name confusion with the N64.)

Has any Virtual Console price range info been announced?

Is there some sort of dongle that I can buy to make one of the ports in my non-WiFi router be WiFi, or would I have to buy a new router?

I live in an Apartment building, so wired seemed the way to go when I bought it, and I really don't want a whole new router.

Is there some sort of dongle that I can buy to make one of the ports in my non-WiFi router be WiFi, or would I have to buy a new router?

I live in an Apartment building, so wired seemed the way to go when I bought it, and I really don't want a whole new router.

I'm fairly certain that the DS USB thingie works with the Wii too.

I got Prime 2 a few weeks ago, but it didn't really grab me. I think that in order for an FPS to get my attention it needs more character interaction.

Just reading about what needs to be done in some dead guy's journal isn't enough for me.

Maybe that's cause Metroid isn't really an FPS? True, you do shoot things in the first person, but the core Metroid gameplay has always been exploring, backtracking, finding the new weapon that allows the old door from room #1 to finally be opened, etc. Think of it as a giant Zelda-dungeon with a gun instead of a sword. (Since that's where the gameplay stems from.)

I mean, you can "lock on" to targets if you don't feel like aiming. Shooting, at least in the previous games, isn't the focus of everything the way it is in most "shooters."

When I played Prime, I loved it. Obsessed, even. Hell, I got 100% completion. I was really pumped for Echoes. I played it for about 2 hours and then forgot about it. My brain keeps telling me that it's a great game, but I can't bring myself to enjoy it as much. I don't get it...

What you're probably looking for is a wireless access point. These look more or less like wireless routers, but they usually only have one port for ethernet. You run an ethernet cable from your router into the access point, and now your toys can connect to the router wirelessly via the access point. They're usually around €30-€40, though you can find them cheaper if you shop around.

This is the AP that I own, but you might want something a little newer/cheaper.

My bet is that there will be a network cable socket on the WII aswell as wireless. Or are they really forcing you to use wifi?

It's interesting to not that according to the wiifanboy blog, the Wii was offered as preorder on amazon for one day, then it ended because they ran out.

This makes me sad, because I found out about the pre-order too late. :finger:

Also, the description on amazon is misleading: Completely backward compatible, all the way to the NES of the 1980s

It's not really backwards compatible. Yes, it plays old games, but it doesn't play my old NES cartriges.