OftenK

The Wii's Launch

The wii theme song is terrible

someone is going on about how ppl play games but not video games

i hear SFX it has started?

apparently so

12:55.22 -

"Introducing Wii". Quotes flying up from various sources. Magazines, CEOs, old women. Video of people playing with it.

Heh, Eurogamer repeatedly posting the same ticker notes twice. :shifty:

(i think)

[13:40] Spaff: £179 - 250 euroes

[13:40] Spaff: dec 8th

[13:41] Spaff: £35 games

(i think)

[13:40] Spaff: £179 - 250 euroes

[13:40] Spaff: dec 8th

[13:41] Spaff: £35 games

£179 is €265; might want to take the ferry to france (or Cork!) or something

Third-party: around 15-20 games from launch. Red Steel. Rayman. Need for Speed Carbon. Tony Hawk. Super Monkey Ball.

Date: 2006.

December 8th 2006.

EUR 249 / GBP 179

Bundles is white console, one Wii remote, one Nunchuck, Wii Sports.

Between 49 and 59 Euros for software. 34 for 39 pounds.

£180, not great but could be worse :(

£115 from japan, + 40% import tax = money saved.

is it still cheaper if you buy wii sports tho?

Also what if there is region blocking on gamecube games, that would be a naus

They're passing on Sinterklass here in the Netherlands and Belgium :/ Which is celebrated at the 5th of december...

Oh well. Glad we're not getting it too late after everyone else...

Let's see...

250€ for the Wii bundles with Wii sports.... If anybody thinks it's expensive they need a kick in the head, and the throught... :shifty:

They cost the same as Game Cube games, once again, bug win and if you whine you will be smacked SOOO hard...

Release date: :eek:

Good Grief! I was expecting March! :woohoo:

If anybody is whining because the US will get it first they need to be :cens0r: :cens0r: :cens0r: :cens0r: :cens0r: :cens0r: .... Seriously!

Frankly, I think Nintendo couldn't have done it better if they wanted to!

Nintendo DS seems like the better Sinterklaas gift, so no worries there.

Hmm considering the price, you're probably right.

So who here is going to get a wii? And are you going to get yours at release or are you going to wait some time to see the first reviews & see the list of available titles expand some more?

So who here is going to get a wii? And are you going to get yours at release or are you going to wait some time to see the first reviews & see the list of available titles expand some more?

I'll get it at release.

I'm going to wait, but not for the reasons you posted; Minivania III is expected not long after...

I'll get it if the opinions after the release are good. I mean, it's cheap, but it still is a lot of money.

I'll get it at release simply because my gut says it'll be worth it. It's not been wrong yet, so I trust it.

£115 from japan, + 40% import tax = money saved.

Japanese language lessons cost loads.

I'm not getting Wii at launch. I've never owned a console except a Gameboy Color for a month. Still, it's pretty likely I'm getting a Wii.

Good news about the date! December 8th is good, even though I had hoped for a worldwide... ;) Anyway, about the region free-ness: AWESOME, of course. Now importing from Canada is good for the Wii as well as the DS. Bold move, I love it. Gamecube games which have a region code shouldn't be a problem because it's the console telling the game that it's OK I think.

But err, say I import a Wii from Japan to save approximately 100 Euros. Couldn't I avoid taxes by having it sent to me as a gift? Or doesn't that work that way? Also, I'd first need to hear if the 3rd party developers go regionfree as well, because apparently it's an optional thing?

The 250 Euros is a bit disappointing because they had promised it'd be cheaper than that, and I just don't care about the Sports game.

I'd first need to hear if the 3rd party developers go regionfree as well, because apparently it's an optional thing?

Yes, it's been confirmed as an option.

This is to prevent traditional publishers fleeing from the Wii, screaming like lunatics. I was debating this with a colleague and we came to the same conclusion; 3rd party games are most likely to use it, because of the licensing costs of launching a rights-based property into different parts of the world. And that "IP" needs protecting from all you thieving importers, damnit!

FUCK, NOE just confirmed that it IS fucking region-locked after all :'(

cunts :(

I really want one for launch, but in light of this information I don't know whether to get a US or European Wii.. whichever one i get i'll be screwed one way or the other:

US Wii:

Would have to import all my games which is a nause but at least i get them earlier than europe and most likely have a wider choice of games.

Also highly unlikely to support RGB SCART, my tv doesn't have S-video so i would have to use bummy composite which would annoy me immensely, i don't think i could actually cope with playing Zelda through composite

European Wii:

Bummed by the rip-off britain price hike and will have to wait 6 months longer for some games.

RGB Scart support not confirmed yet, but is more likely to be possible than with a US Wii.

Virtual Console games: there's bound to be a much weaker selection than is available on the US site since they'll have to rely on ROMS that had european language support. Even if they don't they will still make it worse somehow. Also if they give us 50hz ROMS then i will be extremely angry.. i just can't risk being lumbered with bordered 50hz PAL VC games it would drive me insane

On the plus side, all my PAL gamecube games will work with it, and i can by games locally... which is an important factor..

So frustrating... I just don't know what to do :'(

Please god give us a Wii freeloader soon..... >_<