OftenK

The Wii's Launch

Does anyone else find it a little odd that not only are Nintendo launching after Sony, but that the Americas also get the Wii before Japan does?

Does anyone else find it a little odd that not only are Nintendo launching after Sony, but that the Americas also get the Wii before Japan does?

Regarding the early american launch, I think it's largely because of the month between thanksgiving and christmas being completely nutso for games in the US. Since Christmas in Japan is more like valentine's day with fried chicken, it's not so much a big deal to get out in time.

As for the PS3 coming out first, I don't really know why they're doing that. It might be worth considering that the PS3 will instantly sell out (low number of units) and many disappointed parents might just end up getting a Wii instead.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Public, but we're all out of PS3s. On the other hand, we have a shipment of a couple of hundred Nintendo Wiis due in this weekend! Come try our display model! Have some fried chicken!"

I still think it's great that you get a game with the system.

Hey! I got Hexic with my 360 :deranged:

Looks like they picke Opera for their web browser.

I believe they've decided to release the browser seperately to the console (kotaku), so slap an extra 20 bucks or so onto the price if you want it, I guess. It supports javascript and flash, so it'll be kind of cool for watching sbemails or possibly youtube videos (if they work).

Also (from joystiq):

Pokemon will be the first online game, ready for Dec. 2 launch in Japan

YES!

I was under the impression that the browser will be integral to Wii, being built right into that odd dashboard thing they've got going on.

I was under the impression that the browser will be integral to Wii, being built right into that odd dashboard thing they've got going on.

So was I.

However...

Now he's talking about Always-On 24 and how you can get updates while you sleep.

Oh, there's also an Internet channel. You will have to buy the Opera Browser separately, though he (Reggie Fils-Aime) didn't mention a price.[/Quote]

How do you Americans like the $250 price tag? Over here in Holland land they're whining this is too much converted to euro's reasoning (wrongly I hope/know) that it will cost about 300 euro's here, what with taxes and everything.

Is 250 monies too much, will ninty loose buyers to the xbox360?

$250 is fine for me. And that's in US funds (gotta convert that to Canadian, though lately that's not so bad... thank you Bush :shifty: ) and then add 14% tax on it (it used to be 15%... thank you Harper :shifty: ).

Considering you get a game, I don't think it's so bad. I paid $500 CDN for the XBox ;(

Rico Suave says the price is a'ight

feature_main_img_lifestyle4.jpg

(Regarding the browser: the Wii has internet connectivity. This does not require a browser. However, I've read that -- in Japan at least -- the browser will be free during the launch period. Don't know how true that is.)

Lots of good stuff to discover here:

http://www.wii.com/en_US/

And a summary of the facts in the first comment here:

http://digg.com/gaming_news/US_Wii_Site_Goes_Live

I like this whole Wii Channels thing, since some of those look quite useful. It also looks like the Opera can be bought using Wii Points similarly to the classic games, so I imagine it won't be much. I'm also sure I read somewhere while doing my RSSing earlier that you get some Wii Points free with the console, but I could be mistaken as fuck on that.

Also, it looks like the people who pre-ordered Zelda on Game Cube are getting screwed, because the Wii verson is comming out first.

(I have a friend who pre-ordered Zelda on her birthday LAST YEAR. Come on Nintendo, give those poor bastards their game. Lord knows they've waited long enough.)

Any more info on the movie thing?

New games

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732678p1.html

While some of these titles were shown at US and European conventions, the list includes some notable surprises, such as the underwater diving game Forever Blue, the action pinball-like Kororinpa, Taito's Wii version of Cooking Mama, and a few puzzle and variety games from major Japanese publishers.

The event also confirmed that Nintendo would put out a separate collection of mini-games, titled Hajimete no Wii ("Starting Out With Wii"). The game compilation includes a packed-in Wii Remote (for two-player action) and features nine different minigames, such as the Duck Hunt-like demo and ping pong games shown previously. Hajimete no Wii will ship at the same time as the console on December 2 and sell for 4,800 yen.

Also, it looks like the people who pre-ordered Zelda on Game Cube are getting screwed, because the Wii verson is comming out first.

Yeah, I don't get why the GameCube is coming out later, considering it's been finished for months (that's not guesswork on my part, Nintendo have admitted it - all the extra time has been fine-tuning for the Wii version).

Maybe because they're worried a lot of people were going to be buying the GameCube version just to play it with the old-style control system. I know I was. Nah, don't call me a luddite, I just like being able to move the camera in third-person games!

I'll get the Wii version (on day one, of course), and I'll play it until the GC version comes, then if I don't like the control system I'll swap them.

Of course, I might not even be able to find the GameCube section. It's small enough now and places like GAME and GameStation, and I'm prepared to bet that with the PS3 and Wii coming out this year it'll disappear altogether...

How do you Americans like the $250 price tag? Over here in Holland land they're whining this is too much converted to euro's reasoning (wrongly I hope/know) that it will cost about 300 euro's here, what with taxes and everything.

It's usually with taxes that price. The GameCube ended up even cheaper than the announced price over here in the UK. $250 converts to about 195 Euros, or £130. We'll find out exactly what the European price is tomorrow.

Yeah, I don't get why the GameCube is coming out later, considering it's been finished for months (that's not guesswork on my part, Nintendo have admitted it - all the extra time has been fine-tuning for the Wii version).

Maybe because they're worried a lot of people were going to be buying the GameCube version just to play it with the old-style control system. I know I was. Nah, don't call me a luddite, I just like being able to move the camera in third-person games!

I'll get the Wii version (on day one, of course), and I'll play it until the GC version comes, then if I don't like the control system I'll swap them.

Of course, I might not even be able to find the GameCube section. It's small enough now and places like GAME and GameStation, and I'm prepared to bet that with the PS3 and Wii coming out this year it'll disappear altogether...

Since the Wii has GC-style control ports, and the game was designed on both systems, it stands to reason that it'd have both control schemes. Though that might be too easy, and I could be horribly wrong.

At this point they could price the Wii pretty much whatever here in Euroland and I'd still buy it. Glad to hear about Opera though!

Everyone should check out this little video with glimpses of quite a few Wii games. I'm guessing most people have seen it at this point, but a link never hurts.

Nice.

I also just found out the Wii Opera comes with JavaScript and Flash fully enabled, so that means you can use all your Gmail and shit quite comfortably, plus play whatever Flash games are out there — with the Wiimote!!

Something about using the Wiimote to control full screen Pac-Man and then doing a bit of web-based JavaScript IRC or something appeals to me. Not sure why. Maybe it's because I've never really gotten to use the internet while laid on the sofa like an arsehole. Maybe I should get a laptop.

$250 tends to convert to around 250€, at least in Finland. I bet that's the price. I wonder how much later it'll arrive to Europe... Well, at least we'll know if it's as good as it seems by the time we get it :/

The new ipods are $250, and £190 :(

£149.99 would be lovely, but im expecting it to be more like £170.

they need to be carefulsih though i guess, if it was more than £170 id import one, seeing as they are region free AND out first in the states, and cost a mere £133. +40% import tax though :(

easily avoided …… ¬¬

Yeah, if NOE is intending on fucking us over on the release date tomorrow, I'll consider importing it from the US. Apparently Iwata got on a plane to London after the Japan show was finished, so it could be that they're holding back some final semi-large announcement, whether it be good or bad.