Erkki

Bad games that are good

The Pathologic thread made me want to ask... what are the games that really suck on some level, but still you somehow really love them?

For me:

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

Vangers: One for the Road (an obscure driving/action/rpg/strategy game that gets way too hard and unforgiving near the middle so I never finished it)

Dust: A Tale of the Wired West (maybe this one wasn't actually that bad, but I played it at a time when it was technically outdated)

Jack the Ripper

Lands of Lore 2: Guardians of Destiny, a preposterous RPG completely failing to capture the charm of the original (the very noteworthy The Throne of Chaos), with absolutely horrible visual design (ugly FMV with ugly acting mixed with an even-then-outdated 3D engine) and broken gameplay. And yet, somewhere in it, despite all its ridiculous awefulness, there's something that captured me and I played it quite a lot.

3.jpg

The thing is, I occasionally yearn to play it again; a craving that is quickly remedied when I actually start playing and realize I have to plow through all the shit again. The strange thing is I already did it twice! So I think that qualifies for bad games that are good.

Though good it isn't, and a recommendation neither.

lore2_screen003_thumb.jpg

Stupid Invaders.

I actually enjoyed that game the one and only time I played it.

I also enjoyed Stupid Invaders. Got the impression my name wasn't exactly Legion, though.

I rather liked Privateer: The darkening. Which I loved to death. But according to the reviews is a pile of steaming poo. With cool FMV bits in between.

Woah there, you're misinterpreting the question. It's not about games that you like but that others thought were bad; it's about games you like that you thought were bad, at the same time. That's a rare breed that creates a dichotomy in your souls, a rift in your very existence!

Hmmm... Ok.

Earthworm Jim 3D

Trace Memory

Painkiller

Yoshi's Topsy Turvy

That's just off the top of my head. There have probably been many more that I just can't think of right now.

Oooh, The Tone Rebellion had a lot of charm! And indeed, it was a strange game, not necessarily broken, but not exactly brilliantly playable either. I'd never call it bad though.

Damn, I'm being a hard-ass tonight.

Gungrave was absolute shit but it had a few songs and settings that I really enjoyed.

Shenmue is another game that is actually pretty shit but still fun to play once in a while.

A lot of people, including myself, thought Starship Titanic was bad, but I had fun playing it. Troika's games were buggy as hell but I enjoyed them. I can't really think of any other games, this is a lot easier to do with movies.

Dreamfall, sadly, yes. Oh, and Redguard is one of those too... Man, that game rocked, and it was bollocks in that traditional Bethsoft vein.

Ultima Online. Total pants, but heinously addictive:

ultimaonlineym3.jpg

Oh and either of the Terminator FPSs by Bethesda, but specifically Terminator: Future Shock:

terminatorfutureshockuf0.gif

I'd probably still cream my pants if something daft like a DS version was announced though... :gershman:

....Bart VS the Space Mutants....

It was so shit but I would still play it again...

Woah there, you're misinterpreting the question. It's not about games that you like but that others thought were bad; it's about games you like that you thought were bad, at the same time. That's a rare breed that creates a dichotomy in your souls, a rift in your very existence!

Ah right, I get you. In that case, I'm quite partial to some Trespasser now and again, despite how empty and dull it is.

I'm quite partial to some Trespasser now and again

Ah! I'd forgotten about that particularly rough little diamond. I continued playing that in earnest, hoping it might blossom into the high-class VR game it desperately wanted to be.

But it didn't. :frusty: