Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Osu tatakae Ouendan.

Just got that Something! Something! Ouendan! game today, and I'm loving it (even though I hate that I have to wait so long every time I restart a song...). So, my question is: Is this some common Japanese game genre that everyone knows of but me, or is this the new shit, the fancy new trend that will spawn millions of thousands of copies because it's fun fun fun?

Follow up question (if I may): Are there other games like this (rhythm based) that I can purchase for the dollar and shove up my DS Lite's tight little slot and pound and stroke rhythmically away for maximum pleasure? What about that game that I think was for the GBA and for which the trailer which for I saw, but which for I forgot the name for, there were some guys on a conveyor belt with anothe guy shouting at them, and there was a guy hitting stuff with a bat. Anyone know? I need some more rhythm fun NOW!

I think the GBA one that you mean is Rhythm Tengoku. It's a lot of fun, and if you've played Warioware, think about what that would be like with some rhythm game stuff thrown in. I've almost got perfect in every one of the games in it now (yeah, I'm kind of obsessing over it) and it still manages to be fun. Otherwise, for the DS a lot of people recommend Daigassou! Band Brothers. I have that as well. It's a decent enough game, but doesn't really hold a candle to the awesome of Ouendan. The main problem with it is that all the songs are crappy midi versions rather than a real track. I've heard that Daigassou is great if you have a good number of people to play it with, (2-8) but haven't had a chance to try that. The single player is fun, but leaves something to be desired.

If you're looking for music but not really any kind of goal or objective, Electroplankton is a good way to chill for a few minutes at a time, but isn't really suited for extended play. It's like being a little kid and messing with the piano that sits in the living room of a friend's house. You're not really doing anything, but you feel like you're making real music, so it's fun.

GITAROO MANNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um... but you've probably already played that.

Yes, I'll just take Gitaroo Man and play it on my PlayStation 2 which I don't have.

If only there was some part of my body I could exchange pictures of for one.

It's true though. If you're looking for good rhythm games, the PS1/2 is your best bet. Gitaroo, Parappa, Guitar Hero, etc. Lots of rhythm love for Sony.

Ouendan is awesome. I still can't complete more than just the tutorial song but... very awesome.

Ouendan is awesome. I still can't complete more than just the tutorial song but... very awesome.

The thing that sets Ouendan apart from other rhythm games for me is that I actually get better at it as I go. Playing a lot usually solves any problem. Playing on a higher difficulty helps even more, especially if you do it in a multiplayer game where you can't run out of time. Even if you're doing shit you'll be picking up more advanced techniques and rhythm patterns.

One of us! One of us!

Re: Daigasso

I got daigasso a few weeks ago and yeah, it doesn't have the appeal that Ouendan and Gitaroo Man have because the music isn't as high quality and there aren't any excellent scenarios animated on-screen for my delight and amusement (o/~ Guts Daze! o/~).

On the other hand, Daigasso is the closest game to a genuine musical instrument, providing a 2-octave range on a bunch of midi-style instruments.

The songs are the usual JPop (Ready Steady Go, Sakuranbo, Yeah Mecha Holiday and something from Orangerange are the ones I recognised), Video game songs (Mario theme, Pokémon, Zelda, FZero, others) and classical/public domain stuff (Air on a G String, others).

It also has a fairly useful and comprehensive musical notation editor which you can make your own songs with (the only real limitations are that you are stuck in 4/4 time and you can't have more than one note play on one instrument at the same time (except for drums)). You can save your songs on the card and play along to them in gameplay mode.

It's not as fun as the other games but it's probably more useful in the long run.

If you can manage it at all, the Pop'n Music games on PS2 are some of the best music games you can get; though they require a $60 controller and are only available in Japan. There ought to be a youtube link in my signature.

Yeah, I'd had a look at that a while ago. I really, really want to play it, but as you say: Japan only. Fuckers.

w/ regards to Ouendan difficulty: When you first start the game, there are two choices for difficulty. If you don't read Japanese, (can [kinda] now, couldn't when I got the game) it's really a toss up which one is easy and which one is normal. As a result, I beat normal and then went on to easy, expecting a greater challenge. I got pretty good at Ouendan based off of my own mistake/stupidity. Now have beaten insane, so all is well. Amazing how many, many months of obsessing will do that for you. Still, sometimes I wonder how much longer it would have taken to get good if I'd actually started on the difficulty I was supposed to.

Toblix, you just keep bowling me over with that wit of yours.

Take it to the comedy circuit.

Good Rhythm games include:

- Rhythm Tengoku (it has Rhythm in the title, this is a good sign)

- Vib Ribbon

- Mojib Ribbon (if you can get past the mental language barrier for the menus, the game itself is nice and easy)

- Parappa the Rapper

- Um Jammer Lammy (Get the Jap or Euro version, it's not censored, Lammy goes to hell, not an island)

- Parapper the Rapper 2 (Get the Jap or Euro version, they're allowed to sing about wine)

- Elite Beat Agents (Not out yet, but it's basically Ouendan 2)

- One of the Donkey Kongas (but probably not all. Go for Euro Donkey Konga 2 if you have a choice, its got about three Supergrass songs on it, I think.)

- And finally, Tetrisphere for N64. Because it has awesome music and plays like a 3D Tetris Attack. Oh wait, but it's not a rhythm game. Well, get it anyway, it's awesome.

Otherwise, for the DS a lot of people recommend Daigassou! Band Brothers. I have that as well. It's a decent enough game, but doesn't really hold a candle to the awesome of Ouendan.

I agree. It definitely has a lot of songs, and a lot of challenge, but ehhh. People have said that it took them a year to decide that they actually like daigasso better than ouendan, but I don't know. *Maybe* on Pro it gets really fun once you get really good, but Ouendan is fun always, with much better music/style/stories.

Oh man a few days ago I figured out that you actually have to roll the balls and not just tap the start and finish. Fuck. Now the game is easy as pie.

:getmecoat

NOT REALLY SECRET HINT

You have to rotate those big wheels that take up the whole screen until the meter reaches the top. Continuing to do so will get you bonus points.

Also, try and play this multiplayer if you can find another human being with a copy of this game. It's worth every minute of play. I got to be a monkey that rescued his girlfriend! And drive a racecar! And fight with a giant robot!

I know someone who wants to order the game! Hurray! He even asked me where I got my copy from! (He's never imported before) I may yet get to sample the sweet delicious multiplayer! :woohoo:

Why is it that the last level has an incrediblylong unskippable intro?

the one level you need to restart the most..

grr.

still... bring it on expert mode I'm ready for you!

Why is it that the last level has an incrediblylong unskippable intro?

the one level you need to restart the most..

grr.

still... bring it on expert mode I'm ready for you!

Honestly, for me the secretary level was way worse, on both hard and normal at least. On normal everything's harder than it has to be though.

Shanghai Honey insane is the hardest (really only the very end, but oohhhh it sucks). RSG intro is very annoying, they've changed it with Elite Beat Agents, now you can skip right to the countdown.