Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

Yet Another Dumb Quote (tm)

Quote of the moment:

Grand Theft Auto, ultimately, is a dead end street. As a businessperson, I don't relish the role of defending our business from charges of gratuitous violence.

-David Gosen, Nintendo Europe MD

Ever heard of Max Clifford? Guess what he's the man who planted all those stories about the original GTA in the press... "It teaches kids how to steal cars", "It's the most violent video game ever..." (etc)

What was Max Clifford doing? Why, being paid to publicize GTA by the publishers of course!

Duh!

Someone needs to clue this guy in.

"Grand Theft Auto, ultimately, is a dead end street. As a businessperson, I don't relish the role of defending our business from charges of gratuitous violence.

-David Gosen, Nintendo Europe MD

That's like saying: "War is ultimately a dead end street. As a human being I don't relish the role of defending our species from charges of gratuitous violence"

Riight - so we will just stop - yeah - seeing it doesn't make sense...

anyway, the quote is out of context, and would problably make some kind of sense in its original context...

As it is, it doesn't, and constitutes a class exampel of how you can't use logic....

"War is ultimately a dead end street. "

It is, isn't it ?

It isn't ?

Weell, I'll let you ponder that a bit.....

But you're right - the second post didn't make sense - but as I was trying to make some witty answer to Vimes' post which didn't make sense either I think it can be excused.

The first post was meant to be an elaborated version of the statement:

"The quote of the day doesn't make sense"

*hic*

He's drunk alright. :sombrero:

When I see Hermes photo, I always imagine that he has gone into where that little mermaid statue is in Copenhagen, swung away, and is proudly holding aloft its hacked off head.

lol

I see what you mean...

The little mermaid has actually been through quite a lot. 2 times it's head was sawed off, and last year someone blew it up with explosives. Although that is quite stupid, it must have been ridiculously funny.....

h1964_1.jpg

What do people have against mermaids? I am personally quite partial to them nymphs... I would hack their heads off if and only if I really, really had to, or wanted to. Or if they asked me to.

Yeah, you fuckers! What do you have against Mermaids and what have they ever done to you and for your information you're stupid, and dumb, and stupid, and mermaids have never done anything to you, especially not blow your head off even though you're stupid and probably deserve to have your head blown off because you're stupid and you have something against Mermaids even though they've never done anything to you because you're pretty much stupid.

Yeah, you fuckers! What do you have against Mermaids and what have they ever done to you and for your information you're stupid, and dumb, and stupid, and mermaids have never done anything to you, especially not blow your head off even though you're stupid and probably deserve to have your head blown off because you're stupid and you have something against Mermaids even though they've never done anything to you because you're pretty much stupid.

Interesting ... (or crazy - depends on your outlook)...

What was Max Clifford doing? Why, being paid to publicize GTA by the publishers of course!

Duh!

Someone needs to clue this guy in.

If I may drag this thread unceremoniously back on-topic, I think you'll find that Mr Gosen's statement makes sense in terms of this position at Nintendo. Nintendo have, rightly or wrongly, a reputation for making children's games (I personally refute this), but with mass appeal. The point is, if Nintendo were to make a GTA-style game they would possibly be breaking down the element of trust that allows parents to buy little Johnny a Nintendo game without worrying...

But then, I'm a firm believer in lowering the GTA rating (it's an 18 in the UK, for you Yanks). Hell, I'm only 17, but I haven't turned into a knife-weilding, gun-toting, joyriding maniac. Yet.

If I may drag this thread unceremoniously back on-topic, I think you'll find that Mr Gosen's statement makes sense in terms of this position at Nintendo

Yes, if what he meant by "our business" was Nintendo...

...but I've looked it up and he was at the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association conference in London.

So he's stating his opinion on what is good for the industry.

But why? Ratings, and a country's laws will decide whether a game is too violent.

And if violent games did lead to a backlash, Nintendo would be in a prime position to take advantage of it, having a Disney-like image.

I don't think he needed to say that at all.

I've read other bits from his speech, http://news.spong.com/x?art=6906 and it reads like an emotional manifesto. He attacked journos, for hyping new hardware, game retailers for bundling games with hardware - not good PR, considering they are very important publics, and could have mailed/spoke with them personally.

He also attached MS for releasing their console too early. Not good when nintendo japan are trying to gather momentum for Nintendos next gen console. This makes it seem like it was partly directed at Nintendo japan, in a deperate plea for them to hold out and not join the next gen race too soon.

To me, the whole thing sounds like a rant from a man who is going out on a limb to get his point across.

Is it good business? Well the GTA comment wasn't good business no matter how you look at it. And you really don't want to get offside with retailers, just cos they bundled a few games with a gamecube - lets assume they know their own business. But if it sparks debate about whether new hardware is worth the hype, and makes people cynical about it, then maybe some of it will benefit Nintendo in the long term.

Think of it this way, if the game teaches kids to kill and steal, and the game has sold millions and millions of copies, I think there would be ALOT more violence than there is right now...

The fact is that if every person who played the game did something in real life that was in the game, most of us wouldn't be around...