Sign in to follow this  
sobersiddhi

DS modding

Firstly, if this breaks any forum rules then I sincerely apologise. Anyway, I will soon be travelling to various parts of the world of which there will be a high chance of having valuable electronic items stolen or lost (drunkenly or otherwise), and of which I will keep undisclosed for fear of making generalisations (the parts of the world, not the electronic items).

Now, I'd love to take my DS and a selection of my treasured games along with me, and I could handle losing the DS as it is 1st gen., but would hate to lose the games as the collective value of said games would of course increase (edit: linearly) with each one that I stuff into my duffel bag.

So, I've been doing some reading about DS modding, and while there is some really inventive homebrew software that I'd find both useful and fun, what I'd really like to know is whether I can (theoretically) run commercial roms (of games I own) on a modded DS. It's difficult to garner any straight information from any of the more questionable modding related sites I have stumbled across, as they skirt around the issue to protect themselves, and the more bonafide sites avoid the issue altogether.

By the way, as anyone actually used the remote desktop homebrew application? It looks fantastic...

The value would increase linearly. Get your facts straight.

Nah, don't know anything about the DS other than that it has two screens.

If you have the proper tools, I can't see it being too much of a problem. You'd just need to brave the bowels of those sites of questionable moral fibre in order to find a decent tutorial. How you'd get the roms may be a bit tricky, too. I don't know of any DS emulators or such that would run homebrew roms, so I'd assume that the roms would be harder to come by than the standard SNES, NES, etc that you find on most rom sites.

I have nothing against roms if you already own the games. I took my entire SNES collection with me on PSP for a roadtrip last year. (taking shifts driving/playing for about a week) Good luck to you, man.

If you have the proper tools, I can't see it being too much of a problem. You'd just need to brave the bowels of those sites of questionable moral fibre in order to find a decent tutorial. How you'd get the roms may be a bit tricky, too. I don't know of any DS emulators or such that would run homebrew roms, so I'd assume that the roms would be harder to come by than the standard SNES, NES, etc that you find on most rom sites.

I have nothing against roms if you already own the games. I took my entire SNES collection with me on PSP for a roadtrip last year. (taking shifts driving/playing for about a week) Good luck to you, man.

Thanks Miffy. I don't think I'll have a problem sourcing the roms, I guess I was just curious to know whether the games will actually run 100% correctly - I'd hate for there to be some silly shortcomings like not being able to save to the flash card with certain games.

You can definitely run DS roms on a flashcard - not sure of the specifics of it though. I only know that you can because I've read of people downloading the Game & Watch Collection rom so that they can actually play the damn game.

Shhhh

I believe Huz (Dogman) has been messing with homebrew recently, and he's gotten all sorts of stuff working on it — including ScummVM DS. As far as I remember he had trouble getting DS roms to work on it though.

It's also worth pointing out that homebrew is far from cheap. It cost Huz about £60 to get all the necessary hardware. :fart:

I believe Huz (Dogman) has been messing with homebrew recently, and he's gotten all sorts of stuff working on it — including ScummVM DS. As far as I remember he had trouble getting DS roms to work on it though.

It's also worth pointing out that homebrew is far from cheap. It cost Huz about £60 to get all the necessary hardware. :fart:

Cheaper than buying all my games again though...

Thanks for the comments guys.

What system are the games you want to run for? If you end up modding your DS so you can run old GB games on it you don't want to use GBAMP2 or, I assume, an M3. They can't handle running some of the games for some reason. I believe you'd have better luck if you used a GBA flash cart, but I can't say for sure as I don't have one.

What system are the games you want to run for? If you end up modding your DS so you can run old GB games on it you don't want to use GBAMP2 or, I assume, an M3. They can't handle running some of the games for some reason. I believe you'd have better luck if you used a GBA flash cart, but I can't say for sure as I don't have one.

Ideally both GBA and DS games... as some of my GBA games are rare and I'd hate to lose them too (apart from the ill-purchased ebay hong kong knock-offs). DS games are the priority though.

I'm running a 1st gen. DS, and I've got a 512mb compact flash card already, which would be plenty to fit all of my games on - though I am tempted to buy an SD card for 'bulk reasons'. I take it I can't run GBA games straight off the flash card as with the DS games?

Ideally both GBA and DS games... as some of my GBA games are rare and I'd hate to lose them too (apart from the ill-purchased ebay hong kong knock-offs). DS games are the priority though.

I'm running a 1st gen. DS, and I've got a 512mb compact flash card already, which would be plenty to fit all of my games on - though I am tempted to buy an SD card for 'bulk reasons'. I take it I can't run GBA games straight off the flash card as with the DS games?

I don't think I've ever tried running a GBA game off my compact flash card. If I were to guess, it'd probably work better than running a GB game as no emulator would be required, but I really have no idea. Out of curiosity, what are the rare games that you have?

I don't think I've ever tried running a GBA game off my compact flash card. If I were to guess, it'd probably work better than running a GB game as no emulator would be required, but I really have no idea. Out of curiosity, what are the rare games that you have?

Erm, well I'm fairly certain they're not rare by the standards of many who post here, but some cartridges that I had great difficulty tracking down here in Australia were Super Street Fighter II, Doom II and Fire Emblem. I have a fair few other genuinely rare games, but they're all black market knock offs. I'm very careful buying games on ebay now as a result, as I had the unfortunate situation of purchasing a bunch of these illegitimate carts and having to send them back to be repaired anyway, as the battery saves were damaged in shipping (or possible never working in the first place), only to never hear from the seller again (that motherfucker).

Anyway, I'm also now salivating over the idea of playing the homebrew / emulated DS Doom, as I still play my Doom II cartridge while travelling to this day, despite its slight mediocrity.

Oh, and on the topic of running GBA games directly from the CF card - I take it there is some sort of GUI to launch any DS roms or homebrew from the card, but I was thinking that while the CF / SD card reader is in the GBA slot, it is essentially rigged up to the DS slot via the pass-through card, thus rendering the GBA slot 'out of action' perhaps? Unless there is some sort of software witch doctory happening that simulates both slots...

Oh, and on the topic of running GBA games directly from the CF card - I take it there is some sort of GUI to launch any DS roms or homebrew from the card, but I was thinking that while the CF / SD card reader is in the GBA slot, it is essentially rigged up to the DS slot via the pass-through card, thus rendering the GBA slot 'out of action' perhaps? Unless there is some sort of software witch doctory happening that simulates both slots...

The gui is called DS Organize. You could also use something like MoonShell. I don't understand what you're asking about the GBA slot.

Aye. I've found it a bit confusing because, as you say, fishing reliable information from the sea of murky sites is quite difficult.

The current state of play is that the one DS homebrew app I've tried - ScummVM - works nicely, although it took some doing as I used a relatively new flash cart. GBA ROMs seem to work without any problem, but I haven't had any luck getting DS pikeyness to run - mainly because I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

It's entirely possible in theory, though.

Aye. I've found it a bit confusing because, as you say, fishing reliable information from the sea of murky sites is quite difficult.

The current state of play is that the one DS homebrew app I've tried - ScummVM - works nicely, although it took some doing as I used a relatively new flash cart. GBA ROMs seem to work without any problem, but I haven't had any luck getting DS pikeyness to run - mainly because I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

It's entirely possible in theory, though.

Sorry for the dramatic bump, but I was wondering what specific items you bought to run SCUMMVM. (?) I'm using a DS Lite, so I'd probably just use Passme (or Passme2) rather than trying the complicated flashing process.

You'd have to use a PassMe2. It doesn't really require all that more work to flash your DS, and it's actually better for it. If you ever decide to dabble in other homebrew apps with an un-flashed DS you run the risk of bricking it.

Uh, don't I have to take it apart and hold down some metal thing while I flash it? By "other homebrew apps," do you mean that SCUMM VM won't "brick" it? :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm:

Sorry.

Uh, don't I have to take it apart and hold down some metal thing while I flash it? By "other homebrew apps," do you mean that SCUMM VM won't "brick" it? :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm:

Sorry.

This is how you flash it. It's not hard at all, though there is an added slight possiblity of screwing things up that didn't exist with the fat DS. No, scummvm won't brick your ds. You only have to worry about that with poorly or maliciously coded apps.

Really dodgy thread resurrection, I know, but I'm so delighted, I thought I'd go on about it to people who'd at the very least understand. After hearing about ScummVM a long time ago, I'd not really done anything about it, until the possibility of running on my DS has reared it's head. Anyhow, long story short, I'm off on hols soon, and I have to take with me, DooT, Sam & Max, MI1 & 2 on my DS. How exciting! I've not played them since I originally played them. Hopefully the puzzles will be fresh again, apart from the most famous ones. :tup:

Not sure what this thread is about, but the title just reminded me of something: A clever guy created a mod to allow the DS to use WPA WiFi encryption, instead of the idiotically outdated WEP. I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere, but he's been working at it for a while now and I've only just stumbled across it.

http://geekboy.ca/wifi/

Unfortunately, even though http://geekboy.ca is up and running, the wifi section seems to have disappeared. The only thing left of the project is this archived version, which looked very promising...

http://web.archive.org/web/20070514001258/geekboy.ca/wifi/?cat=2

http://web.archive.org/web/20070513144935/geekboy.ca/wifi/?page_id=10

Anyone know more about this?