Tanukitsune

Classic Videogame characters: Should they keep their trap shut?

During the ages many silent classic game characters got a voice that was more than an "Ouch!" or "Mamma Mia!".

Giving a silent character a voice is VERY big deal, because the voice defines the characters and even his/her personality, and here is where trouble arises..

Sometimes either the character has a defined personality or the voice fits the personality we gave the character in our minds, like Sonic the Hedgehog...

But... Sometimes, the voice gives them personality we don't like at all... Or something we don't think it suits them...

There are tons of examples, but for me the most famous one is Megaman. Before Megaman was just a cute little robot who fought other cute little robots, but once he started talking, he became en emo angsty guy who constantly whines about the war he fighting... Not to mention he's "X-treme" now...

Of course, some classic characters choose to remain silentto avoid something like this, namely the Nintendo characters...

Do you think you'd enjoy a Mario with an bad Italian accent making plumber jokes? Would you like Link to talk like in the old cartoons? I'm sure not everybody would....

So what do you guys think? Do you know more example of characters with voices that suit them or not?

Do you think the silents ones should remain silent?

I think Megaman's voice in Captain N was very suitable. Don't know the other voice you're talking about. Though Simon Belmont was aweful.

Do you think you'd enjoy a Mario with an bad Italian accent making plumber jokes?

Yes

Do you think the silents ones should remain silent?

No, not in general.

I think Megaman's voice in Captain N was very suitable. Don't know the other voice you're talking about. Though Simon Belmont was aweful.

I mean the X voice.

Giving a silent character a voice is VERY big deal, because the voice defines the characters and even his/her personality, and here is where trouble arises..

Sometimes either the character has a defined personality or the voice fits the personality we gave the character in our minds, like Sonic the Hedgehog...

But... Sometimes, the voice gives them personality we don't like at all... Or something we don't think it suits them...

To me Sonic's voice is the most irritating game character voice ever. I hate the fact the they gave voices for the Sonic characters.

I love all the Mario voices I've heard, but the voices in Partners in Time are just fantastic.

Do you think you'd enjoy a Mario with an bad Italian accent making plumber jokes? Would you like Link to talk like in the old cartoons? I'm sure not everybody would....

Someone has to say it, so it may as well be me:

*ahem*

Well excuuuuuuuuse ME, Princess!

You know, I always thought of Sonic as the perfect example of why old video game characters shouldn't talk. Well, not exactly. I always thought of Tails as the perfect example, but Sonic was pretty darn close.

I always liked Mario with the deep Brooklyn italian accent, like in the old cartoon. I had originally thought that's how they were gonna keep presenting him, but then the whole high-pitched "Mama mia!" and "Itsa me! Mario!" thing came and I was like, huh? Not that I minded or anything, but I thought they were sticking to the other accent.

Do you think the silent ones should remain silent?

All the ones you mention should, insofar as they currently are, yes. Also Freeman.

I wouldnt have thought of mario as silent, though. Playing sunshine, you're constantly bombarded with wooo! heeheee! It's a me-a!! heeeHOO! weeeeHiiii!! wOOO... hup hup hoooo!

and so on.

Yeah, and that's a fucking crime. Mario went wrong in the Mario64 intro.

All the ones you mention should, insofar as they currently are, yes. Also Freeman.

I wouldnt have thought of mario as silent, though. Playing sunshine, you're constantly bombarded with wooo! heeheee! It's a me-a!! heeeHOO! weeeeHiiii!! wOOO... hup hup hoooo!

and so on.

I don't think that really counts, it's not like he's saying anything...

I would say he really talks if he said "Mamma mia! Bowser's fire breath burns like la mia mamma's pasta sauce!" instead "Wah wah wah!" when he gets burned!

I mean, Link goes "Hiyah" each times he swings his swords and I don't consider it talking...

Come to think Wario does "talk", he does say a lot in the Wario Ware games and has a defined personality, a personality which I assumed suits him well in the eyes of everyone?

Wario is the party star!

Sonic. I hate Sonic when he speaks. He was cool when he was silent. Then they tried to make him talk "cool" and failed, totally and utterly.

Thing is Sonic, like many of the game stars mentioned in this thread, is not so much a character as a logo brought to life. They live only within the gameplay and elsewhere should be iconic, like a sticker or a graffiti tag. I don't even like to see them animated outside of gameplay, let alone trying to make conversation.

He should be cracking one-liners like Duke Nukem. He should outnuke the... uh... Dukem... eh... :shifty:

I'd certainly like to hear Gordons one-liners. Hmm... someone should make mods for all the Half-Life games that would add a that.

.... damn...

I spilled my drink.

I spilled my drink.

If that's the best oneliners you can think of for Freeman then don't bother creating that mod.

Someone should add a voice to the left and right pong paddle

They'd just end up screaming every time the ball hits them.

"Ow!"

"Yeowch!"

"Dammit!"

"Shit, dude, could you please just MISS?!? This hurts!"

I'd certainly like to hear Gordons one-liners. Hmm... someone should make mods for all the Half-Life games that would add a that.

.... damn...

I spilled my drink.

Why not: 'this flux-capacitor, I've never seen anything like this'. :getmecoat

Why not: 'this flux-capacitor, I've never seen anything like this'.

Or, "that isn't a flux-capacitor, that's my wife!"

SiN

True, but that's not really the same thing. MI 1 & 2 were technically "silent," but there were reams of dialogue in them. Conversely, characters like Mario and Sonic never said anything outside of their instruction booklets. Saying that MI had no speech before 3 is like saying Final Fantasy had no speech before X. Accurate, but not really.

I think the main character in Bioforge would work better if he kept his trap shut.

If that's the best oneliners you can think of for Freeman then don't bother creating that mod.

No, I actually spilled my beer. Almost on the keyboard.