Spaff

WTF? nintendo monopoly?

I'm a little bit disappointed you don't get to pay with coins.

But i really like the Koopa shell.

Hee, hardly surprising though. There must literally be hundreds of different versions of Monopoly.

I even saw a Nottingham one in the shop a few months ago. Nottingham.

I think it's a bit troubling that you buy characters instead of locations.

I was talking about having real metal coins to play as opposed to paper banknotes with Marios face on.

I figured that much. Wouldn't that be a bit annoying to play with?

I'm very tempted to buy it. It's only like $30 on eBay. Would that cross the line for "sad and pathetic nerd" if I did?

I'm very tempted to buy it. It's only like $30 on eBay. Would that cross the line for "sad and pathetic nerd" if I did?

Nah, it's no worse than half the other crap we all do.

I've never quite understood the draw behind some of these novelty versions of Monopoly. There are tons of them. There's a Simpsons one, a Star Wars one and a Superman one.

Same game, different graphics.

Although the Superman (Superman Returns, to be specific) does have this wacky description:

With the help of the ultimate, invincible super hero, vie to own it all and relive the most unforgettable moments from SUPERMAN RETURNS with the world’s most famous board game, MONOPOLY. Team up with the Man of Steel™ to protect the citizens of Earth from the perilous greed of his arch nemesis, LEX LUTHOR. Join SUPERMAN as he returns to Earth and reunites with LOIS LANE to try and halt Lex’s latest evil scheme.

I love how you "protect the citizens of earth from the perilous greed" of Lex Luthor by buying him out. Or building three hotels on a property he has the unlucky fortune to land on.

Monopoly does not suck ass, YOU DO SIR!

I can't tell if you're joking or not. I don't enjoy it because it's incredibly long winded and rather boring. I haven't played it since I was a kid, but even then I don't think I ever completely finished a game.

Yeah, I was joking. I can easily see why someone wouldn't like it, I've had games where it's lasted for days. I think most of the fun comes from screwing people over by owning monopolies and putting people on the verge of bankruptcy when they land on hotels. I probably also like it because I made my brother cry once when he landed on one of my hotels.

We never had Monopoly, but we've always had Anti-Monopoly.

I second Moos's ass sucking comment. Settlers of Catan, however, is an amazing board game. You know, usually board games are just meant to get people together and help them pass the time, but this one is actually great fun to play. It is the lovechild of chess and Civilisation.

Yeah, Settlers is just about the greatest game ever. I've never gotten tired of playing it. There is one thing that I don't like about it though. Years ago after I first played it I showed it to my dad who also fell in love with it. He's since become a German game nut frequenting sites like Board Game Geek. Lord knows just how much money he's thrown at this obsession. Admittedly there are a few of his games that I enjoy, but it's left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth as I prefer more of casual board games. A couple of my favorites are Bang! and The Lord of the Rings board game. You wouldn't expect a board game based on a license to be any good would you, but it actually is. Come to think of it, I might even like it more than Settlers. It's a co-op game unlike anything I've ever played. I strongly recommend it.

Computer BATTLESHIP (written like that on the box) was pretty cool. It had "Instant Programming"! Sure, it was a real bitch to setup and took you a good ten to fifteen minutes to get started, but it was worth it when you saw the little red LED light up and show that you hit the enemy. :tup:

A runner up is the HILARIOUS "Alien Galaxy", which didn't use a dice, but instead a cassette tape. The tape would every so often shriek out "LASER ATTACK" and "BLACK HOLE, BLACK HOLE, ALL SHIPS NEAR ANY BLACK HOLES WILL BE PULLED INTO THE VORTEX, AAAAAAAAAAAAND DESTROYED". Movement was dictated by the tape, with it saying stuff like "THREEEE...LEFT", and "FOURRRR...RIGHT...IN A ZIG-ZAG DIRRRECTION". Absolute MINUTES of fun.

I once played a Star Trek board game that had a videotape where an evil KLINGON addressed you mockingly.

It was localized in DUTCH.

I agree that Monopoly is not just incredibly long-winded, but also very frustrating and un-fun if you're at not at the winning end. Good games should make everyone involved feel good and in the race.

Yeah, Settlers is just about the greatest game ever. I've never gotten tired of playing it. There is one thing that I don't like about it though. Years ago after I first played it I showed it to my dad who also fell in love with it. He's since become a German game nut frequenting sites like Board Game Geek. Lord knows just how much money he's thrown at this obsession. Admittedly there are a few of his games that I enjoy, but it's left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth as I prefer more of casual board games. A couple of my favorites are Bang! and The Lord of the Rings board game. You wouldn't expect a board game based on a license to be any good would you, but it actually is. Come to think of it, I might even like it more than Settlers. It's a co-op game unlike anything I've ever played. I strongly recommend it.

I have LOTR, but only played it once. My wife balks at things with complicated rules, and since neither of us had played it before, it was a little hard to figure out. I do still want to give it another shot though. I just need to play it solo so I can figure out the rules before making my wife play.

My favorite game at the moment is Ticket to Ride. That game is crack. I first discovered it through the online game, but the board game version is even better. Even my parents like TTR.

I'm also a big fan of Lost Cities. Very simple rules, really fun two-player game. Great stuff.

Yeah, The Lord of the Rings game is a bit complicated, but once you get it down it's incredibly fun to play. It's so refreshing because, unlike just about every other game, everyone is working together trying to beat the game (unless you play with the Sauron expansion where someone actually plays Sauron). It's damn hard to win too, especially if you're playing with either of the expansions, but when you do it feels amazing. There's none of that awkward tension like there usually is after a heated neck to neck game where someone has to lose. I haven't played it in about a year or so because I went off to college, but if I remember correctly it's more fun and easier with three or four people. It'd be quite difficult to win with just two as there's usually at least one person who has to sacrifice himself in order to get the ring to Mount Doom.

The rest of my family loves Ticket to Ride, but I don't care for it so much. Probably because I suck at it.