Kolzig

Director announced for Halo the movie

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15944

Neill Blomkamp will direct the Halo motion picture, to be produced by Academy Award® winners Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh under their WingNut Films banner for Universal Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox.

Blomkamp is making his directorial debut on the film. He is widely regarded as one of the most innovative and original artists currently working in short films and commercial advertising. Halo will be distributed domestically by Universal and internationally by Fox. Visual effects, miniatures, and creature design and creation will all be handled by Jackson's award-winning Weta Digital Ltd. and Weta Workshop, Ltd., most recently known for their Oscar-worthy work on "The Lord of the Rings" films.

So they went the easy way, getting a noobie to direct a game movie.

He is in for a dream deal, having PJ as a exec. producer on the project, and all the power of WETA digital, miniatures, creature designs etc. at his disposal.

A dream deal; the main character of your movie being a faceless, characterless robot :fart:

I really amn't looking forward to Fran Walsh mercilessly tearing apart the carefully crafted canonical dialogue from the game.

I only just barely got to the car driving bit in halo 1, and never played halo 2, so actually I couldnt give a shit about this

A dream deal; the main character of your movie being a faceless, characterless robot :fart:

Well yeah, but when a director has such a powerful tools at his disposal, it will be interesting to do this as his FIRST REAL MOVIE PROJECT.

You're an animator, man. If you're good and patient and clever and observant you can imbibe just about anything with personality.

These are two of the dude's short movies that impressed the right people apparently:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1185812222812358837

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6104543600072426821

They're kinda neat. :tup: :tup:

Oh, hey, I like those. He could probably make it an acceptible movie if they let him get creative with the license. Then again, I liked the Super Mario Bros. movie.

You're an animator, man. If you're good and patient and clever and observant you can imbibe just about anything with personality.

I know, I'm just a petty reactionary to the apparent love for the character while I think he's a characterless dolt.

I think that's why people love him. He's a totally blank slate they can easily put themselves into. (I realize they talk about the actual details given in the books, but even those are tailored to create an anonymous personality, from what I understand.)

I think that's why people love him. He's a totally blank slate they can easily put themselves into. (I realize they talk about the actual details given in the books, but even those are tailored to create an anonymous personality, from what I understand.)

Haven't read any of the books, but personally I find the visual design of the Spartan armour to be distinct and appealing. Couple that with the somewhat endearing introduction of Master Cheif in the original Halo and I think Bungie created a good character with lots of potential.

But please, film directorial types, don't mandate the removal of that shiny helmet as instrinsic to the plot. There's simply no need--look how shit Judge Dredd turned out, because of some meddlesome requirement to humanise a brutal and ruthless character, loved by millions for exactly those traits. (I appreciate casting Stallone as the part pretty much doomed it anyway, but the 'humanisation' sank things only further into the poo.)

look how shit Judge Dredd turned out

You mean Stalone will play the Master Chief too?

At least Dredd had a visible mouth.

...to the benefit of whom, exactly? All the lip-readers in your average cinema-going audience?

Tempbot was awesome!

If the Halo movie is going to be anything like that I'm more than willing to go see it. But since the script already has been written this will be somewhat unlikely :/

Neill Blomkamp does prove that he is capable of giving a robot feelings. Which is a good sign I think.

...to the benefit of whom, exactly? All the lip-readers in your average cinema-going audience?

It allows EXPRESSION.

It allows EXPRESSION.

You've not read much Dredd, have you...

Anyway, what about body language? I can see where you're coming from, but I still think Master Chief could be made into a convincing movie character.

Tempbot reminded me of Darren Aronofsky's films for some reason. I think it was the voice of the manager who's 'leaving at the end of the week'.

The music at the end sounded a bit like Amelie as well...