Sign in to follow this  
shbazjinkens

Controversial games and FPS

I'm making character models for a FPS project that is supposed to serve as a showcase game for Crystal Space (Open Source 3d game engine). I don't like it (just pushing my character skills), because I'm not a fan of FPS games, and this is one of the most cliche games you can get; A shoot-em-up with aliens. I started thinking about the reasons I don't like FPS games much.. and I actually realized that I do like some of them. The ones that aren't typical, like Silent Hill or Metal Gear Solid, and more recently Splinter Cell.

Even the terrorist plots are becoming cliche though, so I had the idea that maybe you could present the game from the other side of the box, with the player being the terrorist. The gameplay would be challenging and interesting, since you're only with a ragtag group against a major force, and it would most certainly be unique. But could you imagine the media response to a game like this after what happened with Grand Theft Auto? The potential revenue for an independent project distributed via the internet could be huge, considering the media attention it could get.

Just a thought, as I'm always thinking about get-rich-quick schemes and games. What are your thoughts (besides the obvious moral qualms)?

....I'm not a fan of FPS games, and this is one of the most cliche games you can get; A shoot-em-up with aliens. I started thinking about the reasons I don't like FPS games much.. and I actually realized that I do like some of them. The ones that aren't typical, like Silent Hill or Metal Gear Solid, and more recently Splinter Cell.

But those examples you gave are third person. There's also the Hitman series. For FPS, or at least the ones in first person view, there's Thief and Deus Ex, both atypical of the genre and inspiring subsequent games. There are also the upcoming ones, like Call of Cthulhu, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Xenus.

Even the terrorist plots are becoming cliche though, so I had the idea that maybe you could present the game from the other side of the box, with the player being the terrorist. The gameplay would be challenging and interesting, since you're only with a ragtag group against a major force, and it would most certainly be unique.

In America's Army there are combat modes where the game treats it so that your [online] opponents look like terrorists to you and your mates, and likewise you to them. There are also other recent and current handful of shooters where you get to play 'freedom fighters'. Then there was the fairly recent (and ill received) Devastation, where you play an Eminem looking rebel leader organizing a group of ragtags against the currently imposing corporate government. And Beyond Good & Evil touches a bit on this theme as well, except you're in charge of up to two A.I. mates, in third person view.

But could you imagine the media response to a game like this after what happened with Grand Theft Auto? The potential revenue for an independent project distributed via the internet could be huge, considering the media attention it could get.

...What are your thoughts (besides the obvious moral qualms)?

Well, the last thing I'd want is to make a controversial online game just for its own sake. That's a cheap shot, even if it is independently produced. I'd stick to conceptual originality, for example, focusing on story and its complexities and giving each player a 'personal' reason to complete missions and, if necessary, killing for it. I'd introduce the quandary of ethics and cultural and religious clashes. Unfortunately, too many young and ambitious developers fall into the trap of "wouldn't-it-be-cool-to-make-a-game-that-would-get-all-the-soccer-moms-totally-pissed-off-and-my-game-would-be-outlawed-and-I-would-be-on-the-FBI-wanted-list'.

XENUs???

Gees I didn't know Scientology had its own game. anything it takes to corrupt the minds of the young, eh?

edit: wtf? did i say "corrupt the minds of the young"?

I use the term FPS too loosely I suppose. Many games called FPS have modes for 3rd person as well, but they're all shooters to me. I guess I should start calling them that instead.

I'd stick to conceptual originality, for example, focusing on story and its complexities and giving each player a 'personal' reason to complete missions and, if necessary, killing for it. I'd introduce the quandary of ethics and cultural and religious clashes.

I wouldn't make a game just to stir up trouble, that would be a monumental waste of my time and name. I just think that would be an interesting result from it that could be taken advantage of. The concept alone is interesting to me. Of course I agree that the gameplay shouldn't suffer. Otherwise what I'm talking about would be little different than those sappy flash games that I'm sure you're familiar with, and would never cause any media stir.

The games you mention (except for one) seem to only feature this as an optional side note. What I'm thinking of is a game totally featuring the people looked upon as thoughtless beasts by many Americans (Iraqi Terrorists, Al-Qaida, Palistineans) and put the gamer in their shoes, with your family members disappearing, innocent civilians on your side being killed, and you going to take revenge in the fashion that those terrorists have. The very concept of showing sympathy for terrorists is what I think would cause a huge stir, but only if it was actually well produced enough to attract enough people in the first place.

I don't have the time or resources to actually go through with anything like this, just what I thought was an interesting thought.

The games you mention (except for one) seem to only feature this as an optional side note. What I'm thinking of is a game totally featuring the people looked upon as thoughtless beasts by many Americans (Iraqi Terrorists, Al-Qaida, Palistineans) and put the gamer in their shoes, with your family members disappearing, innocent civilians on your side being killed, and you going to take revenge in the fashion that those terrorists have. The very concept of showing sympathy for terrorists is what I think would cause a huge stir, but only if it was actually well produced enough to attract enough people in the first place.

I believe either Hamas or Hezbollah has a FPS where you get to play against the Israeli army. I'm not sure if there's Americans in it, though. Hell, even the KKK has a FPS game.

Has anyone else played Red Dead Revolver? Anyone think it's mildly controversial that you get to play as a Mexican soldier fighting against the corrupt and evil American army at one point? I thought that was pretty bold. Really rubs it in the face of those makers of that crapfest Alamo propaganda-movie.

I bet you wouldn't need to be that extreme to offend some people. Medal of Honour Frontline Opposing Force, casting you as a German D-Day machine gunner mowing down hordes of brave Yankee warriors? Horrifying! Of course, games about shooting up Germans are considered absolutely fine.

Didn't someone release some screenshots for some kind of September 11th-based Half-Life mod? Was that a hoax? Anyway, that game would have raised some excellent uproar if it had been released. :gaming:

Also, I may have heard about that KKK game - is it called "Ethnic Cleansing", or is that something else?

Also, I may have heard about that KKK game - is it called "Ethnic Cleansing", or is that something else?

Yeah, yeah... I think that's it.

I looked it up and sure enough... here's the synopsis from the website:

"The Race War has begun. Your skin is your uniform in this battle for the survival of your kind. The White Race depends on you to secure its existence. Your peoples enemies surround you in a sea of decay and filth that they have brought to your once clean and White nation."

http://resistance.com/ethniccleansing/

Good god. That is pathetic, isn't it?

It makes me depressed.

From the FAQ:

12.) Q.)Why don't you answer tech support questions anymore?

A.)Because I was receiving over a hundred emails a day, most of which fell into the category of:

a. Questions that are answered in this FAQ.

b. People asking for free stuff. (Demos, cheats, etc.)

c. Praise.

d. Illegible hate mail from apes and ape-lovers.

e. Illegible hate mail from "israel". (aka Palestine)

(And just FYI, I won't be reading any emails sent to the old address unless it is from someone I "know", so don't waste your time

writing me anymore hate mail...)

HOLY CRAP.

I can't believe a bunch of racists had the ability to come up with their own 3d game.. I mean, all of the ones I've met are lucky to still be alive despite their day to day stupidity in all areas of life.

Anyway, getting back to the point.. I don't think WWII games are as controversial because the wounds are old and this generation is largely disconnected from those events, plus their love for shoot-em-ups is too great. I also think there would be more interest in becoming a terrorist in a game than becoming a racist. People are curious about what's going on over there.. they know what's going on here with racism.