andreadst

pirates of the caribbean II --> Monkey Insland 2 rip-off

I don't know if someone already pointed this out but I went to see pirates of the caribbean II yesterday (which is a quite enjoyable action flick...) and I was surprised to see some *clear* references to Monkey Island 2.:violin:

1) captain sparrow using a coffin to navigate, and in complete MI2 style!

2) jungle boat trip (not coffins this time) to a voodoo sorceress. actually, just before seeing the voodoo lady, I told my girlfriend: "If now there's a voodoo...doh!"

now, I'm not a Monkey Island 1 expert (I completed it only once, a long time ago) so there may be other references. I found only those two from MI2(admitting you forget about all the *ghost pirate really looking like LeChuck* stuff) but I''m sure there are more...

A lot of people seem to be noticing connections. Has anything been explicitly mentioned about this by people working on the movie?

In my opinion it seems kind of mental to assume nobody involved with the production of POTC2 played Monkey Island. I mean, we're not talking about a bunch of granddads and an underground game here. We're talking about an extremely well known title and a team of movie industry blokes who were 15-25 when it came out.

I mean that might seem really obvious, but I've seen people arguing so strongly it must be a coincidence that I feel like tearing my face off. Why is it considered so preposterous that they did indeed play Monkey Island and were slightly paying homage with certain elements? :(

If you (attempt to) read the mess of replies to that Ron Gilbert post, you'll probably extrapolate this anyway, and indeed I'm sure most people in the world know this by now, but I'm going to say it quickly anyway as noone else has bothered:

Ron Gilbert was partially inspired by the original POTC Disneyworld ride when creating Monkey Islands 1 & 2, so it's no surprise that the movie shares similarities with the games.

I also agree with Thrik, though, that it's more than likely that many of the film team were influenced in turn by the games.

Ron Gilbert was partially inspired by the original POTC Disneyworld ride when creating Monkey Islands 1 & 2, so it's no surprise that the movie shares similarities with the games.

Stuff like Norrington looking like the mirror image of Guybrush in MI2 can't be because of that.

It's one of those things where it seems utterly stupid to try and argue it as absolutely one way or the other. Some stuff is in Monkey Island because it was in the PotC ride, some stuff is in both MI and PotC because they are obvious things to do when you've got pirates in the carribbean, and some of the stuff is in PotC because, like Thrik said, it's almost impossible for the guys planning the film to not be aware of Monkey Island. All creative works build on the foundations laid down by the works that preceded them.

In my opinion it seems kind of mental to assume nobody involved with the production of POTC2 played Monkey Island. I mean, we're not talking about a bunch of granddads and an underground game here. We're talking about an extremely well known title and a team of movie industry blokes who were 15-25 when it came out.

I mean that might seem really obvious, but I've seen people arguing so strongly it must be a coincidence that I feel like tearing my face off. Why is it considered so preposterous that they did indeed play Monkey Island and were slightly paying homage with certain elements? :(

yup, in fact in 10 or 15 years from now I guess we'll be seeing a lot more video games inspired content in movies and other media. today, though, it's still unusual enough to be surprising.

I just hope someday this kind of reference to games will be credited. It could be a good way to spread the word about good games.:oldman: