Sign in to follow this  
n0wak

Bowling for Zombies

Today, at the mall, I:

1. knocked over a bunch of zombies with a bowling ball
  2. stuck a severed zombie arm into another zombie's mouth and then beat it with a lightsabre toy
  3. sliced a zombie in 'twain with a kitana and before the parts hit the ground, I took a picture of it
  4. took a bunch of lego heads from the toy store and stuck them on a bunch of zombies, blinding them. Then I squired them with a water gun.
  5. Killed zombies by throwing CDs at them
  6. Beat a zombie with a frying pan. Not satisfied with the killing potential, I heated it on a stove and then went back and melted its face.
  7. Beat a cop zombie to a pulp using a purse
  8. took another severed zombie arm and threw it into an open area as bait. Once the zombies grouped together, I hit them with the shotgun.
  9. Broke a zombie's face using a chair from the restaurant. Then I threw a potted plant at it.

And all this within a fairly limited Dead Rising demo. I still worry that the novelty will wear off quick; I still worry that the elements of the CAPCOM-ish "story" that are visible will get in the way of zombie killing; I worry that this might not be as open as it should be; I still worry that there isn't much depth to the combat (though that's replaced by the sheer number of items), but in the meantime, I can't wait to get this game and bash a bunch of zombies.

Hell, even some of the achievements seem fun:

"Knock at least 30 zombies aside with a parasol."

"Send at least 10 zombies flying with bowling balls."

:campbell::tup:

I'm very tempted. Think I'll wait for the next batch with the new chip though. Anyone know how long that'll take to arrive? Zombies need smashing, dammit!

1. took a bunch of lego heads from the toy store and stuck them on a bunch of zombies, blinding them. Then I squired them with a water gun.

Servbot heads!

I still worry that the elements of the CAPCOM-ish "story" that are visible will get in the way of zombie killing;

Looks like we're in for a wild ride on that one. Walk into the theatre, and you get some occult 'dogs of the AMS' shit. Walk outside and there's a bad Dawn of the Dead-ripoff scene. Melodrama with hicks and sniper rifles. Awesome.

Odd how my perception of the 360 has changed since it's release. I used to think it was completely useless and nerfed with the lack of the HD-DVD drive. Now I want one.

Dead Rising looks and reads as though it'll be fantastic fun to play. I wouldn't worry too much about the story line, as this is definitely Capcom reinventing the arcade game for next-gen.

In fact, Dead Rising was to first game to strike me as being truly next-gen when I read about it last year, because of the new gameplay experiences you'll get which are only achievable because of the horsepower of the new consoles.

Need to get the demo and see if it's lived up to the massive potential.

After seeing the 1UP Show preview of Dead Rising I want a 360 (also for XBLA Wednesdays). I loved the bit where they drove a car through a parking garage and scooped up literally hundreds of zombies.

Wow wow wow!

I saw this at a friend of a friend of a friend's house (or something) on friday and holy crap, it looked totally awesome! I love Zombies so much. They are the best. Zombies rule. I didn't play it, but I wish I had. I wish I had Dead Rising. It looks totally awesome. It makes me cry in delight. WEEPY CRY... I love it. Mmmm zombies!

With any luck I might be able to con my parents into getting me one this Xmas, and this'll be top of my list of games with it.

Played the retail game a bunch today and pulled off more crazy zombie kills, including:

1. Running into a large mass of zombies swinging a chainsaw
  2. Squirted ketchup at a zombie's face, blinding it, then I shot its face with a nailgun.
  3. Killed zombies by shooting hockey pucks at them.
  4. Ran down a corridor pushing a shopping cart running over any and all zombies in my way
  5. BATTLE AXE!
  6. Killed a zombie with a boomerang while wearing a bear suit head, a woman's dress, and sneakers :eek:

210688179_de847505f3.jpg

Overall, it's good, but it definitely has its flaws. It feels more structured than the demo let on, but at the same time it's still very open... almost to the point where I don't know where to go next. Which is OK as I just walk around trying on clothes and cutting zombies in half with a chainsaw as it is. Areas of the mall are closed off until you do some missions, which is kind of annoying, and the save system feels classic capcom (replace Typewriters with toilets and that's basically it... yes, you save the game by going to the crapper), but in the end, it's you and a shit load of zombies and you get to kill them in all sorts of brutal and rediculous ways. Many times over.

So far, I give it an early :tup: :tup: :tmeh: :tmeh: out of a possible :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Even though many expected it to be some sort of über-game, this is exactly the kind of title the 360 needs more of. I know it has flaws and some things that will annoy me, but it's still a strong force behind me wanting to get an Xbox.

Played a bit more today, experimenting with the whole sandbox idea. I made my way up to the balcony cafeteria, picked up the till (cash register) and then threw it as far as I could out over the mass of zombies below. It took out about 7 or 8 of them when it hit the ground and slid through a group of them.

I also had a skate around to see what was about, but the skateboard's quite tricky to control--might need to read more in the book shops and newsagents to build up my skills first. Still, you can bowl zombies over when you hit them whilst riding along, so not all bad.

I also managed to kill 4 zombies simply by pummeling them with CDs, which was... "interesting." They're funny when they try to get away, too; seems to really annoy them, and they tripped and fell over each other trying to escape the barrage.

All this whilst wearing a pantomime horse's head and a ridiculously small child's t-shirt. Great fun.

Do you keep your character stats after the three days are over, or is each round independant?

Do you keep your character stats after the three days are over, or is each round independant?

You keep them and your stats are carried over into the other game modes.

I just "beat" the game -- basically survived 72 hours, though I missed many cases and barely saved anyone, so I got the bad ending I guess -- and I can confirm that, yes, your stats do stay.

My first play through was mostly just exploring the mall, getting my bearings straight, and just slaughtering zombies.

For my second play, already started, I'm focusing on trying to save as many people as I can and to play through the story bits as much as possible. There's a ton of things in this game that you can easily miss. Hell, even after spending 72 hours in the mall, I'm still finding new weapons and costumes and bonuses and whatnot!

The sandbox game can get a bit dull and pointless after a while, but sticking with the general flow of the plotline it does get more interesting. At that point, it's less of a zombie killing game and more of an obstacle course -- where the obstacles are the legions of zombies. :campbell:

I'll have to check, but I think each session is 'from scratch'.

Sorry - that was given in context of the demo, not the full game.