Salka

All this 'new leaked info' about Wii...

and this:

180px-Sega_saturn_analog_controller.jpg

Heh. That's why I still use the original Xbox controller instead of the S version. It's the closest thing this generation can give you to that old "playing-on-a-dinner-plate" feeling of the classic Sega consoles.

There were those rumours a while back that they were going to give up on a new console and instead release a series of peripherals. It seemed bizarre at the time, but it seems to have a twang of truth to it with hindsight.

I don't know about the technology, but the economics of it would be a bigger barrier to doing this, right? It's hard to imagine a new controller punching the same weight at retail as a whole new console, however cool the games were. Especially after the Gamecube's near-complete software sales collapse. 0.2% of the market in the last figures I read? (I forget which region.)

It wasn't just rumors. In E3 '03, Miyamoto gave interviews saying that a brand new peripheral was coming out for GameCube that would re-invent gaming. Three years later, the Wii is on its way - completely backwards compatible with the GameCube and also being almost identical hardware inside. (They upped the RAM and processor speed, but not much else has changed.) Its actually kind of amazing what Nintendo has done - take a failing system, add a new controller, re-brand it - VOILA! Instant internet hype!

Somebody explain to me why Wii is 'taking shit' for having 'slower hardware' than the 360/PS3?

I mean, didn't we know all along that it wasn't as powerful as the 'other two'? We were all excited because it was innovative and is about great gameplay, not just pretty graphics. Right?

So why are news sources acting all surprised now, as if Wii has been discovered as being one big sham?

I read this earlier:

Firstly I don't really know what Haze is. Secondly, um... well I don't care if they aren't making their game for the Wii. Clearly they're more interested in pretty graphics and 'cutting edge technology' than they are in utilising the unique features that the wii has. So it doesn't strike me as any major loss.

I thought people were saying the OTHER consoles would suffer because the Wii is eaiser to program because it's not as powerful as the other consoles...:erm:

I thought people were saying the OTHER consoles would suffer because the Wii is eaiser to program because it's not as powerful as the other consoles...:erm:

The Wii's advantage probably lies more in how it's built on the same SDK so programmers with GC experience won't have any trouble getting things up and running right away, rather than the other two being impossible to figure out.