Salka

All this 'new leaked info' about Wii...

Somebody explain to me why Wii is 'taking shit' for having 'slower hardware' than the 360/PS3?

I mean, didn't we know all along that it wasn't as powerful as the 'other two'? We were all excited because it was innovative and is about great gameplay, not just pretty graphics. Right?

So why are news sources acting all surprised now, as if Wii has been discovered as being one big sham?

I read this earlier:

Is there going to be a Wii version? There are currently no plans for a Wii version of Haze. Sadly, the cutting-edge technology we're using requires more power than the Wii has available. If we could, we would.

Firstly I don't really know what Haze is. Secondly, um... well I don't care if they aren't making their game for the Wii. Clearly they're more interested in pretty graphics and 'cutting edge technology' than they are in utilising the unique features that the wii has. So it doesn't strike me as any major loss.

I don't know. WTF.

Also

http://www.destructoid.com/if-you-buy-this-you-are-a-moron

This is exactly what I need for playing DS in the bath!!!!!

I'm... not kidding either ;(

The general notion I got from this leaked info stuff was that people said they still wanted one because it promised great gameplay.

It's people on the internet who are either genuinely retarded or feel they have to react strongly to everything for their opinion to matter and get noticed. I hate shitbags like that, ARGH!!!

Look, I know I really supported Wii in the past, but all that excitement made me forget I had some standards. I mean, 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 instruction cache??? Yes, that's EIGHT WAY! Plz.

I won't be able to play any games because all the time I'll be thinking about that 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 instruction cache and shaking my head. Fuck it, I'm buying a PS3.

Man, Yufster, you're such a fanboygirl. All your stuff is about how Nintendo is magic and Sony is stealing ideas from under people's pillows at night.

FALSE. I am fair and unbiased ;(

And I am fairly observing how Sony copy fucking EVERYTHING off EVERYBODY else, and how Nintendo is magic, and how much I want to play DS in the bath.

Nintendo is magic and Sony is stealing ideas from under people's pillows at night.

That would make a great tagline for "2006" in the history of video games. Or any other year, actually.

There's more to a console's power than just pushing pretty graphics around, and I find that both sides tend to forget this.

I think people's concerns are that if Wii ends up in a dominant 1st place, as seems certainly possible, its lack of power is going to seriously retard progress in some important areas of game design. (Those areas, I would expect, are the feels-real/narrative-related areas that go beyond just poly counts - facial/character quality, physics, and GTA-esque full-world games.)

At least, I think that is what 10% of people think. The other 90% are the people who grew up browsing PC hardware sites, but now that they are moving into console gaming, they apply their PC gaming perspectives to consoles. Which is a dumb thing to do.

I just think you would end up with something of a GTA3 order of magnitude, rather than some GTA4 order of magnitude (hypothetical, I know, but you only need to spend 10 minutes with GTA3/VC/SA to see what more power could provide).

It's not impossible, it just wouldn't represent much progress over and above what we have already.

There's no reason why someone couldn't just make a wii-mote for the good old gamecube and back-port a lot of the wii games.

It's ok for me because I don't own a gamecube, and it's ok for people that do own gamecubes because they tend to overlook nintendo's miserly costcutting measures (value-added features!) because, you know, Mario and stuff.

In no way does slightly dated hardware approach the unfathomable screwing-over of the Bluray drive in the PS3.

F*cking blue lasers will ruin me.

There's no reason why someone couldn't just make a wii-mote for the good old gamecube

I thought they tried that originally but the gamecube couldn't handle it.

I thought they tried that originally but the gamecube couldn't handle it.

There were those rumours a while back that they were going to give up on a new console and instead release a series of peripherals. It seemed bizarre at the time, but it seems to have a twang of truth to it with hindsight.

I don't know about the technology, but the economics of it would be a bigger barrier to doing this, right? It's hard to imagine a new controller punching the same weight at retail as a whole new console, however cool the games were. Especially after the Gamecube's near-complete software sales collapse. 0.2% of the market in the last figures I read? (I forget which region.)

Especially after the Gamecube's near-complete software sales collapse. 0.2% of the market in the last figures I read? (I forget which region.)

That's because it takes Sherlock Holmes to track any down these days. Of the 3 Game outlets I've been in the last few days, only one had a Gamecube section, and they were still mostly preowned. GameStop just don't seem to do Gamecube at all, and there's nothing in HMV anymore either. Maybe this is a bit of a chicken/egg situation, but consider this -

All above mentioned shops do, however, have entire shelves devoted to UMD Video. :frusty:

All above mentioned shops do, however, have entire shelves devoted to UMD Video. :frusty:

The gamecube has been around long enough for the shops to get rid of the stock through sales or returns to distributor and the UMDs clearly aren't going anywhere. Some shops also do deals where they agree to maintain a display for a certain period of time in return for some free stuff (like the display stand itself, demo booths and that sort of thing).

The other 90% are the people who grew up browsing PC hardware sites, but now that they are moving into console gaming, they apply their PC gaming perspectives to consoles. Which is a dumb thing to do.

Being a dyed-in-the-wool PC hardware whore, I'd respectfully ask that you cease using your lower colon as a second voice-box.

On a more serious note: PC people throwing numbers at each other isn't the deal at all; Microsoft and Sony have willed this kind of in-fighting amongst video gamers into existence with Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The most depressing aspect is that sooo many people are sucking it down and then blindly flailing stat sheets at each other, like it means anything. It's all shite, and I really hope even the dickhead MS and Sony execs who engineered this crap are actually regretting it now, too. Once they've dried themselves off from their bathful of well-earned 'bonus' money, obviously.

The "best" next-gen games will come from whichever software shop makes best use of the hardware they've got in front of them.

• It doesn't matter about the complexity of the graphics
  • It doesn't matter about the fidelity of the audio
  • It even doesn't matter about some slightly odd/unusual/revised controller

It simply comes down to the games and how they play.

All these stat-humpers need to kill themselves, because it's misinformation on a gross scale. Nothing has changed, ever, in this respect--in any industry, whether it be cars, landmines, or hairspray. All that matters is how the final games play on the system you have chosen to buy. And shut the fuck up with all this "mine's better than yours" shit.

Let's just go back to NES.

Snob!

Actually, in all seriousness, that's effectively what Nintendo are doing next-generation (and no doubt some would argue "comparatively" too).

Being a dyed-in-the-wool PC hardware whore, I'd respectfully ask that you cease using your lower colon as a second voice-box.

Heh, on the basis of your creative turn of phrase, I will concede that I was a bit out of place saying "90%", but apart from that, I'm absolutely certain I'm right that the phenomenon exists and is widespread.

There's a whole breed of gamer on the internet that is used to the concept that numbers = fun, that tech specs = quality, because that's what countless hardware sites have taught them. "If you have an amazing graphics card, your PC game will be more fun" is a message that has been beaten into them again and again.

Microsoft made a serious effort to court these guys with the Xbox, buying up PC game franchises and developers and putting out "Xbox = best tech specs" statements wherever it could, and they were successful.

Now that console gaming has eclipsed PC gaming in terms of quantity of attention, these guys that used to sit around going "yeah well my GeForce > your Radeon because it has 24 pixel shader units!" do the same thing to consoles instead.

Fair statement(s). Granted, recent PC games such as Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 - amongst others (I'm pointing the finger at you, Far Cry) - have driven this false message home amongst PC gamers. Similarly, because PC gaming has had a surge in audience numbers in recent years, this myth has been propagated that much wider than before.

What's most worrying, though, is that Microsoft and Sony have now converted thousands more people to this kind of thinking, with their obsessive - and deliberately public - Xbox 360 versus PlayStation 3 hardware bun-fighting. However, being level headed you could argue that, because of the astronomical investments both companies have made for next-generation, it was in their core (Core?*) interests to make hardware a key talking/selling point early on.

Maybe I've just been following this industry far too closely, for far too long. :oldman:

* I am deeply, deeply sorry for the spectacularly shite pun.

In a sense it's to be expected that they would drum up this quantity of noise. The people who are listening right now are early adopters, and early adopters tend to be more easily sold on specifications and other geek-fetish aspects, than on more practical terms. It's not really exceptional for them to do this, I think it's just more exceptional that such a huge portion of the internet has sat up and taken notice.

I read this earlier:
Is there going to be a Wii version? There are currently no plans for a Wii version of Haze. Sadly, the cutting-edge technology we're using requires more power than the Wii has available. If we could, we would.

Honestly, when I read that it seems that they're saying they'd like to put it on the Wii, but porting it over would be too difficult because they'd have to scale back a lot of stuff--not that they think the Wii is crap. If they built it for the Wii it wouldn't be a problem, but it was designed for the other systems. It's like taking a GCN game and putting it on the DS--it just wouldn't work. That's not to say the DS doesn't rule.

But maybe that's not what they meant.

In regards to PS3 vs. 360, the biggest selling point for me is actually the controller. The 360's is amazing, the PS3's is crap. That makes a huge difference to me. They need to do an advertising campaign on that.

"Hey, do you like using a controller that's six years old and still has the most used feature, the analog stick, in the wrong position? Do you enjoy hand cramps? You'll love the new PS3!"

Snob!

Actually, in all seriousness, that's effectively what Nintendo are doing next-generation (and no doubt some would argue "comparatively" too).

Sarcastic, rather. I do think that good graphics, hardware, especially controllers matter to a degree. I just think we should take away emphasis from the technical aspects for a while -- not completely, I still want advances in that area. Just not as much as in other areas.

You mean, like an entire planet? Since GTA3 and its sequels load their worlds in parts, that's still doable...

Eh? No, I mean things like not having cars disappear as soon as you turn around, having pedestrians that do more than just walk on a loop and shout at you if you get in the way of their pathfinding, having crowds of people that behave like crowds. There's 3 things off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty of less immediately obvious improvements too.

"Hey, do you like using a controller that's six years old and still has the most used feature, the analog stick, in the wrong position? Do you enjoy hand cramps? You'll love the new PS3!"

Actually, the controller is more like 12 years old if you go back to before the added the analog in a frenzy of "oh crap oh crap oh crap we need STICKS!"

Let's just go back to NES

Done! *boots up Battletoads*

mmmmm.... :gaming: