Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Arcade Revivalist Foundation

Being as we're quite a day-dreamy, "back in my day," kinda bunch this week, I figured it'd be interesting to see what ideas folk had on the subject of favourite arcade games.

Specifically; which arcade game(s) would you like to see brought back from the dead and why?

Joust doesn't need to be brought back from the dead, except it'd be great on a hand-held. I love that game, the fluid, simple gameplay, the physics model, the fact that you fly on an ostrich. It's great.

Ebay has been good to me lately, supplying my Arcade-y fix. I just finished a quick run-through of Batlletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team, which made me very happy considering I haven't played it since I was 7 years old. Nostalgia rocks. All that I'm really wanting to see ported to a modern console, nostalgia-wise, is Gunstar Heroes on Wii. I never had a Sega system growing up, so if I have to miss out on this again just because they opted not to put it on virtual console, it'd suck quite a bit.

I really just like lightgun games in general, so I'm hoping for some straight ports for the Wii. Any arcade action I can get my hands on is good though. As long as it's, you know, actually good. And not shit. So not any arcade action then. Right.

Sega should port it's entire back catalogue, releasing the older stuff on the Virtual Console and pressing the newer titles for shops. A terrible business plan to be sure, but I'd like that.

I'd like to see Trog come back - sure, it was esentially a four player Pac-Man ripoff with dinosaurs, but come on - claymation graphics! Also, I'd like to see some kind of amalgamation of the arcade and SNES versions of Turtles in Time. The four player fun and speech of the arcade, but the extra levels and bosses of the SNES version.

Also, I'd like to see some kind of amalgamation of the arcade and SNES versions of Turtles in Time. The four player fun and speech of the arcade, but the extra levels and bosses of the SNES version.

I'd also like to see that happen with the arcade version of the first TMNT arcade game and TMNT 2 for the NES, for the same reasons.

It would also be awesome to see X-Men, The Simpsons, and Alien Versus Predator re-released, but I have the feeling that will never happen since they probably have to license the characters again before they can re-release their older games.

You know, arcades are probably a sentiment thing. I've been in a few arcades in my life, but I don't like them one bit, apart from the quaint atmosphere. But really, not a grain in my body has ever desired giving money to play a game for a few minutes. I always thought it was a huge waste and still do so now. Ever since the rise of homecomputers and consoles, the arcades have been a nostalgic memory and superfluous.

But I'm a greedy bastard when it comes to that.

I'd like Capcom to wheel out any of the following:

• Alien versus Predator
  • Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
  • Captain Commando
  • Cyberbots
  • Magic Sword

Let's bring back Knights of the Round - that was pretty sweet. I liked how you got prettier armour as you levelled up. I'm all for pretty trinkets and doodads.

Let's bring back Knights of the Round - that was pretty sweet. I liked how you got prettier armour as you levelled up. I'm all for pretty trinkets and doodads.

I was going to put Knights in my list, but I thought Cadillacs stood out more for it's unusual setting.

It would be nice to see one or two of Capcom's same-generation Dungeons & Dragons side-scrollers show up again.

Also, I'd like to see some kind of amalgamation of the arcade and SNES versions of Turtles in Time. The four player fun and speech of the arcade, but the extra levels and bosses of the SNES version.

Oh yes!

I have some nice memories of Knights of the Round too, but they get punched in the stomach (from behind!) by the frustrating memories everytime i think about the game. Also, i never managed to use the horse to my advantage. The armour upgrades were great, though.