Salka

What are you listening to?

The best place to enjoy electronic music is in a cool intimate club with a few hundred people instead of thousands upon thousands.

I'll probably agree, the thing is that I've only been to small clubs where there are good DJs, I've never been to a huge event.

Exactly, something like 5 days off (or it's bigger brother 10 days off) are much more fun to go to. More bang for your buck so to speak.

Cool, great lineup of artists

Well in that case it might be fun to go to a few big events just to check out the atmosphere. I'd personally recommend going to a summer festival of some kind though.

Speaking of 'what are you listening to now'

I'm now revisiting one of my best nights out ever thanks to 3voor12 :)

Laurent garnier @ 5 days off in 2004.

part I part II part III

This was one of those times of 'you should have been there!' But you can still get an inkling of how insanely great this evening was by listening to this set :)

I'm now revisiting one of my best nights out ever thanks to 3voor12 :)

Laurent garnier @ 5 days off in 2004.

part I part II part III

Which browser are you using? I get JavaScript errors in Internet Explorer, or just a flat HTML page in Mozilla Firefox--is music supposed to be played?

It sadly uses realplayer, yeah. They have to use realplayer in order to please the recordcompanies with the DRM realplayer offers :/

It sadly uses realplayer, yeah. They have to use realplayer in order to please the recordcompanies with the DRM realplayer offers :/

It's annoying that that's not indicated somewhere obvious on the site. :hmph:

well it is somewhat obviously indicated on the main page of that site if you can read dutch... Which I presumptiously presume you can't ;)

well it is somewhat obviously indicated on the main page of that site if you can read dutch... Which I presumptiously presume you can't ;)

The odd icon here and there never hurt anybody though... :frusty:

Luisterrrrrrtip of the week!

This CD just rocks! Why? No idea really. Maybe because I'm in the mood for some high powered beats and a new sound. Check it out:

A compilation of (primarily) dutch electro/pistolpop songs. Give it a go and tell me what you think :)

Thank god someone posted Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode.

Otherwise I was going to have to say I'd never heard of any bands on this page.

That's kinda sad, really.

I'm listening to the new Tom Petty album. 'sokay.

looks like the thread is going slighty off topic...

I've been listening to the MUSE lately, seeing as how they just released a new album recently, but I've also been going thru their older stuff again.

looks like the thread is going slighty off topic...

I've been listening to the MUSE lately, seeing as how they just released a new album recently, but I've also been going thru their older stuff again.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about "Supermassive Black Hole"?

I have understood that most hardcore Muse fans think that it is a complete piece of crap. Sadly it is the only Muse song I really like, which makes me a pitiful fool.

I just don't like Matthew's singing style...

Uugh, I listened to Toxicity again today. It's a very good album, but it reminded me of how much I hate, despise Mesmerize/Hypnotize.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about "Supermassive Black Hole"?

I have understood that most hardcore Muse fans think that it is a complete piece of crap. Sadly it is the only Muse song I really like, which makes me a pitiful fool.

I just don't like Matthew's singing style...

I personally like it, but I can see why many of the hardcore fans don't agree. It's not like the MUSE to write a song like "Supermassive...", it's very poppy and quite danceable (is that a word?:erm:) which is unlike their previous/usual stuff. The rest of the album is quite good though; "Supermassive.." is actually the only one that sounds almost out of place. I'm guessing the record label and producers were pushing them to bring out a single that would catch on in the mainstream. That's just my guess, tho'.

Uugh, I listened to Toxicity again today. It's a very good album, but it reminded me of how much I hate, despise Mesmerize/Hypnotize.

What don't you like about the new ones? :blink: I would agree that they're a departure from Toxicity, most definitely, but I like them just the same. You can't expect a band to always sound the same. Musically, a good band should always strive to evolve. I would hate for a band to just always sound the same (e.g. Megadeth). It becomes tiresome, boring, and repetitive, and the band would probably feel the same way too, if they know any better.

It's not that they're different, it's how BAD they are. Everything interesting like the singing has been removed and all that is left is fucking around with tempo changes and politics, but there's no thought behind it.

It's not like the MUSE to write a song like "Supermassive...", it's very poppy and quite danceable (is that a word?:erm:) which is unlike their previous/usual stuff.

I have heard similar comments about Nick Cave & Bad Seeds' Nature Boy. Some even wished that Cave never released anything so mainstream again (that song has indeed been the only one I have heard on the radio). I love that song, however, and I'm a huge Bad Seeds fan.

I am a big fan of Nick Cave's Murder Ballads. I get all warm and fuzzy when he goes

He said "Mr Motherfucker, you know who I am"

The barkeeper said, "No, and I don't give a good goddamn"

To Stagger Lee

He said, "Well bartender, it's plain to see

I'm that bad motherfucker called Stagger Lee"

Mr. Stagger Lee

Barkeep said, "Yeah, I've heard your name down the way

And I kick motherfucking asses like you every day"

Mr Stagger Lee

Well those were the last words that the barkeep said

'Cause Stag put four holes in his motherfucking head

Just then in came a broad called Nellie Brown

Was known to make more money than any bitch in town

She struts across the bar, hitching up her skirt

Over to Stagger Lee, she starts to flirt

With Stagger Lee

She saw the barkeep, said, "O God, he can't be dead!"

Stag said, "Well, just count the holes in the motherfucker's head"

She said, "You ain't look like you scored in quite a time.

Why not come to my pad? It won't cost you a dime"

Mr. Stagger Lee

"But there's something I have to say before you begin

You'll have to be gone before my man Billy Dilly comes in,

Mr. Stagger Lee"

"I'll stay here till Billy comes in, till time comes to pass

And furthermore I'll fuck Billy in his motherfucking ass"

Said Stagger Lee

"I'm a bad motherfucker, don't you know

And I'll crawl over fifty good pussies just to get one fat boy's asshole"

Said Stagger Lee...

:violin::ancient::yep::hitler: :hitler: :hitler::yep::owned::violin:

Indeed.. I also love how insanely twisted "The Curse of Millhaven" is. It may be because Cave sings it from the point of view of 13-year old maniac killer girl, but I'm not completely sure. :hmph:

Nick Cave has more "murder ballads" in addition to those that are in the album. For example, The Willow Garden, The Ballad of Robert Moore and Betty Coltrane, and Knoxville Girl. You can find those songs in the album B-Sides and Rarities.

Well, the sailor said "I'm looking for my wife,

they call her Betty Coltrain!"

The frog-eyed man said "That can't be;

that's my wife's maiden name."

And the man with the wing-nut ears said,

"Hey, I married her back in Spain!"

and Betty Coltrain crossed herself beneath the table.

Well, Robert Moore stepped up and said

"That woman is my wife."

and he drew a silver pistol

and a wicked bowie knife;

And he shot the man with the wing-nut ears

straight between the eyes

and Betty Coltrain, she moaned under the table.

The frog-eyed man jumped at Robert Moore,

who stabbed him in the chest

and as Mister Frog-eyes died he said

"Betty, your the girl that I loved best!"

The sailor pulled a razor,

Robert blasted it to bits

"And Betty, I know you're under the table."

Just thought you might want to know.... you sick fuck. :shifty:

I don't really listen to all that much music, basically whatever my roommate has on. He's been playing Protest the Hero for the past few weeks, and I'm quite surprised to find myself really enjoying it, especially Turn Soonest to the Sea.

Uugh, I listened to Toxicity again today. It's a very good album, but it reminded me of how much I hate, despise Mesmerize/Hypnotize.[\quote]

That's a shame, I thought i got interresting around there. The thing about Toxicity is that there's no thought there. Well, I wont say that, but they're musical diversity comes out alot more in Mesmerize/Hypnotize. It always felt like they'd just fall back on the traditional sream-machine track whenev they ran out of ideas, but now that they're politically active and junk (and from what I hear it's not all pretention) they have something to inpire interresting and different songs pretty consistantly. I feel like both are fun to listen to, but Mesmerize/Hypnotize is just System of a Down grown up. It's just more musical.

It's not that they're different, it's how BAD they are. Everything interesting like the singing has been removed and all that is left is fucking around with tempo changes and politics, but there's no thought behind it.[\quote]

I'd say adding tempo changes requires more thought?

I've been kinda hooked on Staring at the Sky lately, and for anyone else interrested in mash-ups, it's this incredible psychadellic mash-up CD. My personally favorite tracks are Purple Flashing Message, True School Walrus, Wicked Cactus, adn A Day of Madness.

Get it here (http://www.flyingwhitedots.com/)

Go to the downloads page, and click "download zip file of the whole album". If you like it. I do.

Tempo changes require thought if you do them for the music. If you do tempo changes just to be a wanker, they don't require any thought.

To me, Mesmerize/Hypnotize is SoaD grown stale.