Salka

What are you listening to?

No MySpace account - mercifully - but I'm working my way, again, through the generally-superb offerings from ProgressiveHouse.com's Progcast; #029 (Matt Vinkalmann's set) being a particular highlight at the moment.

I DJ in my spare time, and Progressive is mostly what I listen to pretty much any time of the day or night. Hoping to do a series of live sessions from within Second Life too, at some point in the not-too-distant future.

icondj2cq9.gif

can't list any myspace-links, because i forgot my earphones at home so i have no sound here at work ;)

i'm currently listening to placebo, arctic monkeys, the streets, sportfreunde stiller and some random classical stuff.

You don't need a myspace account

Sorry, Yuf. I meant no MySpace account for what I'm currently listening to, because it's got a "proper" web site. :mock:

No MySpace account - mercifully - but I'm working my way, again, through the generally-superb offerings from ProgressiveHouse.com's Progcast; #029 (Matt Vinkalmann's set) being a particular highlight at the moment.

I DJ in my spare time, and Progressive is mostly what I listen to pretty much any time of the day or night. Hoping to do a series of live sessions from within Second Life too, at some point in the not-too-distant future.

icondj2cq9.gif

DUDE!!!! There's so few people I know - outside of one or two Dutch friends - who enjoy progressive house. That's totally awesome. Let me know if you ever upload a mix somewhere. Are you also subscribed to the Frisky Radio podcast? It's recently been brought back from the dead.

In fact the only other person I know who likes this music is American McGee (who allowed me to leech some great mixes off his server :tup:).

Prog house (as well as techno/electro, minimal techno, etc.) are my first love, though I have an eclectic taste in music... jazz, hiphop, triphop, d&b, alt rock, j-pop, country (well, just Johnny Cash really) and so on.

DUDE!!!! There's so few people I know - outside of one or two Dutch friends - who enjoy progressive house. That's totally awesome.

:worship:

I have just the biggest, stupidest grin on my face right now... :grin:

Let me know if you ever upload a mix somewhere.

Roger-dodge. I've got three in the offing right now actually, but haven't done the production work on any of them yet.

Are you also subscribed to the Frisky Radio podcast? It's recently been brought back from the dead.

Yes, which is great to see. Really thought that was a goner in all honesty...

In fact the only other person I know who likes this music is American McGee (who allowed me to leech some great mixes off his server :tup:).

Props - anything noteworthy?

My most recent playlist:

(Artist) - (Track Name)

----------------------

Manyfingers - Tsunami

Xiu Xiu - Bishop CA

Glissandro 70 - Something

I'm Not A Gun - Blue Garden

Tujiko Noriko & Aoki Takamasa - Fly

Tujiko Noriko - Tokyo

Matt Elliott - The Kursk

The Most Serene Republic - Proposition '61

Mui - 39 Degrees

Subtle - The Long Vein of the Law

Takagi Masakatsu - j.f.p.

Threnody Ensemble - The Machine

My Latest Novel - The Reputation of Ross Francis

Helios - For Years and Years

Xiu Xiu - The Fox & The Rabbit

Vashti Bunyan - Diamond Day (This is the track from those TMobile ads)

Final Fantasy (not the game) - This Lamb Sells Condos

Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy

I don't know if any of those have myspace profiles. A lot of them have samples at http://www.boomkat.com if you want to see what they're like.

Like always, I'm mixing things up without not really breaking any new ground, with a bit of hardcore and then some up-beat rock.

Pretty much anything by Sick Of It All and Ted Leo & The Pharmacists is a good combo. Throw some Samiam and Blood for Blood in there and it's a decent soundtrack to the summer.

I'm not much of a music-man, but I like it classical. Currently there's not a day that I don't listen to Holst's The Planets.

I'm listening to it and thinking: by gum, that John Williams is a fraud.

Today I got to see Bedouin Soundclash as well as Ari Up Vs. Dubblestandart. (yeah, they're different artists, but they were playing a set of duets. Kicked ass.) Tomorrow, I'll be wandering around Prince's Island Park and listening to the sessions that they have set up. 3 or 4 groups to a stage, all jamming together from 10:30 til 5:30. Kick ass weekend ahead. This festival is really the only reason anyone should bother visiting Calgary.

On my shuffle, I have

Brahms - hungarian dances

Download - Effector

Massive Attack - Blue Lines

Nine Inch Nails - Broken

Ministry - Rio Grande Blood

Nouvelle Vague

Tricky - Maxinquaye

Jaga Jazzist - The Stix

The The - Mind Bomb

and some Blondie and

Massive Attack - False Flags (Unkle Surrender Sounds Session Number 2)

I'm all over the place.

Well, Calgary's Folk Festival is over, and I was absolutely blown away by a dude from Australia called That One Guy. (<--- myspace link) Incredible to watch him preform. His homemade instrument is incredible. If you ever get a chance to see him play, do it. If you go to that1guy.com, (<--- official website) you can see a couple of vids of his preformances. Completely mesmerizing to see it. Got his CD after the show ended. Quite good. Not as good as seeing him, but a very good listen nonetheless.

The song "One" sounded awesome. I can imagine that his live shows are pretty energetic. Too bad I probably don't get a change to see him perform.

Heh nope, I'm not at all attracted to that event. Did you go there?

No, but I was thinking of going there, the photos that I've seen from it are quite impressive. Why are you not compelled to go? I thought it was more or less a Mecca for people that like electronic music.

Ah I see. well, the target audience for Sensation (particularly the white edition) leans more towards people who don't go to such things very often. A large number of people who go there belong more to the bar crowd or get their electronic music from TMF and MTV. The music is relatively commercial, and there's more emphasis on the dancers and the spectacle than the DJs.

It's kind of the Mickey Mouse event of electronic music. Dance Valley or Awakenings are much more deserving of the "mecca" label. You might still like it but it depends on what type of music you enjoy.

I've been mostly avoiding large events though. They're usually expensive and erm not that good. The best place to enjoy electronic music is in a cool intimate club with a few hundred people instead of thousands upon thousands.