ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Watched the second episode of Being Human tonight after seeing the pilot absolutely ages ago.

Interesting enough premise and surprisingly considered characters, but the whole thing came across as terribly Hollyoaks in presentation and script quality. I'll keep watching it, it's true "disengage the brain" stuff.

Yeah I thought episode 2 was much better than last week's. You're right in that it does seem much like a character piece. The plot arc is probably going to be a slow boiler, judging by the occasional hints.

It's a nice take on the urban gothic horror genre - each monster/character is essentially suffering from a mental illness. The ghost is agoraphobic. The vampire obviously a sex/drug addict. And the werewolf has social anxiety and possibly OCD.

Resident Evil: Degeneration ...just, wow.

What a horrible, horrible film, stuffed to bursting with any and all of the most detestably fucking stupid action/horror cliches you dare to imagine. From the last two decades or so. It's like watching one huge, utterly atrocious cutscene with no apparent end.

And those glistening, bug-eyed Wax People they call characters... bleurgh!

I also enjoyed The Wrestler, and Really enjoyed Frost/Nixon too. It never gave in to A Few Good Men levels of melodrama, and paid an equal amount of attention to the two lead characters, as well as having plenty of rounded supporting characters.

I saw The Wrestler yesterday, and enjoyed it. Still, I was slightly disappointed because it didn't Blow Me Away. But then again, I love the universally hated The Fountain... I'll say that the actors in The Wrestler all pull off absolutely stellar performances.

Totally :tup: I thoroughly enjoyed it, too.

Saw Slumdog and yes, it was a great movie, but it felt a little contrived to me... Is this my expectations fucking things up?

Saw Slumdog and yes, it was a great movie, but it felt a little contrived to me... Is this my expectations fucking things up?

Yes.

Totally :tup: I thoroughly enjoyed it, too.

Yes.

No. The movie was sweet, but, jeez, was it hammy. I keep expecting something more from Danny Boyle because Trainspotting was so refreshing, yet he keeps delivering well-executed, but highly bathetic melodramas.

I think a lot of his movies egg on a bad ending and then you get the happy ending instead, but I'm not sure if that's what makes them contrived to you guys or not.

Shallow Grave and Trainspotting had more bitter sweet endings, whereas I've noticed a tendency since then in movies like Life Less Ordinary, Millions, and Sunshine

(even though everyone died)

for everything to end up okay.

I don't care that much either way, although I guess I'll be the guy to say that unhappy endings piss me off, unless I really feel there is a good reason. But that's personal bias.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

No, I saw it when it pre-success and public buzz and felt the same way.

Hot Scoops and I saw The Sweet Smell of Success at San Francisco's incredible Castro Theatre on Sunday, and it was easily one of the best films I've ever seen. See it as soon as you can.

Also I bought the rad soundtrack by Elmer Bernstein and the Chico Hamilton quintet immediately after seeing it because that is also incredible.

Shallow Grave and Trainspotting had more bitter sweet endings, whereas I've noticed a tendency since then in movies like Life Less Ordinary, Millions, and Sunshine

(even though everyone died)

for everything to end up okay.

*grumble* *grumble*

*grumble* *grumble*

Haha, the website for the film let everyone view the

death scenes

online before the movie even came out, so I figured it wasn't too bad.

Edited anyways though.

I started watching The Godfather Part II, then realised I had better not bother because I have an exam tomorrow. I proceeded to check out some Enslaved and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised, never really liked any Black Metal except Emperor.

Just watched "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead". It was so-so. But then I realized that out of my last four movies, two of them have had plenty of Marisa Tomei nudity in them (The Wrestler.) I have a renewed appreciation for Marisa Tomei. :naughty:

Also saw "Man on Wire" which was fantastic :tup: I've seen as many Oscar Best Documentary Feature nominees now as I have Best Picture, which is unusual.

I love a well made documentary, and I was thinking of seeking Man on Wire out because I missed its run at the pictures. I'll pop it on my LoveFilm list, thanks for inadvertently reminding me to do so :tup:

Resident Evil: Degeneration ...just, wow.

In HMV it comes with vouchers for paintballing!

I think my friend ordered that. I'll be interested to see how his reaction compares with the ones here.

If you don't already own some Rachmaninov and Chopin, I implore you to seek some out. I got a couple of de-facto "Best Of"s for a tenner a while back in HMV and they're both brilliant composers.

I think you might be looking for The Dancing Thumb ;)

--

Who saw

?

All the friends I have who are into action films said "That was fucking stupid I hated it". All the friends I have who are not into action films agreed with me that it was fucking hilarious. One also told me they do strange things with projectors in the background during some parts of the film (I didn't notice).

The sequel comes out next month in April, with pretty much the best strapline ever: He was dead... but he got better :)

Edited by Nachimir

Crank had huge potential to be delightfully mindless fun but disappointed me at every turn, although I am cautiously optimistic for the sequel. Most of my gripes stemmed, I suspect, from the inexperience of the writers/directors so hopefully they'll come back with something a little smoother around the edges this time.

Crank was fucking great. I always like action packed movies with witty humor (unless it's toned down to get a lower rating to sell more tickets (looking at you Die Hard 4) ).

olol wrong thread for previous post.

Anyway, I saw Crank last week and it just exudes pure liquid fucking awesome. Were IGN.com to exclaim it had blown me away, I'd be inclined to agree.

"Crank exudes pure liquid awesome!" - IGN.com