ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Mind you both books were written around the same time. In the early days fo the internet. Everything was possible and no one had any idea how the world would look in 5 years time.

And complaining about a ninja pizza delivery guy is no fair, this was written before the whole ninja/pirate/zombie craze!:oldman:

Also: this thread just silently passed the 1000 post mark. This is post 1022!

I started this thread over 2 years ago now. My goodness, doesn't time fly!

May this thread exists for another 2 years and get another 1000 posts!

The ninja pizza delivery stuff... Snow Crash is, to a point, not wholly, satire. You're not supposed to take CosaNostra Pizza seriously.

The ninja pizza delivery stuff... Snow Crash is, to a point, not wholly, satire. You're not supposed to take CosaNostra Pizza seriously.

Lol. I didn't take it seriously, but as a result I didn't care... see?

Mind you both books were written around the same time. In the early days of the internet. Everything was possible and no one had any idea how the world would look in 5 years time.

Neuromancer was written in 1984... :shifty:

This is impressive though: "While Stephenson was not the first to apply the Sanskrit term avatar to online virtual bodies (the video game Habitat did that), the success of Snow Crash popularized the term to the extent that avatar is now the accepted term for this concept in computer games and on the World Wide Web."

Wow :tup:

I suppose I need to take into account what technology was like when it was written. The "3D chat room" thing was quite visionary in a way, I guess.

Yeah, and for a long time I considered that to be a tacky idea that seemed cool at the time but wouldn't actually be popularized. Now look at Second Life...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/

I saw the new trailer in the cinema yesterday. Gave me goosebumps. I can't help but be excited about this movie now...

The use of music in that trailer is really clever. The Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack fades into Muse's Take a Bow. I noticed the similarities back when I first heard that song.

WARNING

:tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

DO NOT SEE

'THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL'

with keanu reeves and that girl who does ass to ass*

:tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

:spiraldy:

* not in this movie, it's not even good for that

didn't see that one coming</sarcasm>

why can't they leave classics alone, is it really that difficult to write a new story?

I probably knew that since I saw the trailer and heard of it. The first movie was basically a simple, single philosophical idea. Remaking that and trying to make it exciting over the course of a whole modern movie would be a difficult task at best.

Now I'm hoping it's SO bad I want to see it anyway. Is it?

DO NOT SEE

'THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL'

Oh, er, Mrs V and I were planning to see that on Tuesday. I was assuming it'd be merely pants, but is it stratospherically worse than that?

So the level of awfulness with which you're still willing to see a movie in theatres is 'pants', Wrestle? Low entry point, there.

with keanu reeves and that girl who does ass to ass*

And this is how you get typecast in Hollywood.

She's done other stuff. Good stuff even. I mean

Jennifer_Connelly_Horse.gif

uh, nevermind.

So the level of awfulness with which you're still willing to see a movie in theatres is 'pants', Wrestle? Low entry point, there.

I think the current cinematic climate, for me, is best described as "scratching around in the dark".

We saw Stardust as part of our anniversary last year and both really liked it (underrated if you ask me--it's an excellent 'fairy tale' flick). So we were thinking of going to see Ink Heart this time, but I can't stand Brendon Fraser beyond the original Mummy remake.

Beyond that, there's really very little choice at all. Mrs V suggested going to see Quantum of Solace again, but sitting in far better seats this time to see if that's why it was shit the first time around. But I've absolutely no interest in watching it again. :tmeh:

And we watched Indiana Jones & The Cash-in Skull Fuck last night on DVD - Mrs V hadn't seen it before - and that's poisoned blockbuster films for me still further. :(

I will post more about Outnumbered, which I mentioned briefly, earlier. Series 2 is a few episodes in on BBC right now

I've just spent a lunch hour learning about "jumpjet parenting", "attention-seeking missiles" and "Jesus zapping polar bears". I laughed a lot--thank you, Dan. :)

Incidentally, it looks like the whole of the 2nd series will be available on iPlayer until Friday, 3rd January. :tup:

We saw Stardust as part of our anniversary last year and both really liked it (underrated if you ask me--it's an excellent 'fairy tale' flick).

Also saw this movie with my girlfriend who is a Neil Gaiman book (but not comic) fan, and was pleasantly surprised. I think it ended up less "mature" than the book from what I hear, but it was still pretty funny and more clever than the usual despite some fairy tale type cliches we are all used to.

And the visuals were cool. As well as Deniro in drag. Oops.

Was I the only one who hated Stardust? I thought it was puerile, obvious, disjointed and faintly homophobic.

Outnumbered, on the other hand, is brilliant.

Yeah I can see exactly what you were saying, but I guess Stardust didn't bother me that much in all of those categories.

Inkheart, on the otherhand, bothered me intensely; it's a sloppily written mess of a film and thoroughly disposable. I was stone cold bored for its entire duration, which kind of made me angry as the cast list looks at least competent.

Film aside, however, what really fucked me off about last night was that we paid £15 for a pair of tickets, yet there were only 10 people in a cinema that should seat 150. Now, I've despised how massively over-priced cinema tickets have been for some time. But last night I had the dread realisation; we're paying to fill empty seats for films people just aren't interested in.

Hollywood churns out so much shit nowadays, all of which seemingly has the sole purpose of taking a lot of money over its first weekend and that's it. Nothing more--executives simply don't care beyond opening weekend figures or critical acclaim. Not unless the critical acclaim might increase the opening weekend's takings.

It appalls me - absolutely appalls me - that Hollywood turns out massive volumes of worthless, unwanted crap at great expense, but has the audacity to blame dwindling cinema numbers on piracy. I've heard similar absolute horse-cock being levelled at DVD - and particularly Blu-ray - sales; "more people are stealing films rather than buying them. Stop thinking and discriminating and just BUY!!!"

No, Sir, you can fuck right off--and take your stupid, pathetic attempt at filmic entertainment with you. You bell-end. :(

Hollywood churns out so much shit nowadays, all of which seemingly has the sole purpose of taking a lot of money over its first weekend and that's it.

Speaking of, have you heard of Delgo, this animated film that has been in production for 10 years and has set new records? It's not Hollywood but its cast sure seemed to do the trick!

delgo1_large.gif

I love American animation, so gorgeous.

It appalls me - absolutely appalls me - that Hollywood turns out massive volumes of worthless, unwanted crap at great expense, but has the audacity to blame dwindling cinema numbers on piracy. I've heard similar absolute horse-cock being levelled at DVD - and particularly Blu-ray - sales; "more people are stealing films rather than buying them. Stop thinking and discriminating and just BUY!!!"

You wouldn't shoot a police man.

Well besides shooting a policeman, this weekend I'm going to see Slumdog Millionaire, that should be good. Danny Boyle hasn't let me down for at least his last 3-4 films, I forgot where that stinker The Beach lies in the timeline.

But the stuff that does sell is often worthless crap, and yet people still like it.

Speaking of, have you heard of Delgo, this animated film that has been in production for 10 years and has set new records? It's not Hollywood but its cast sure seemed to do the trick!

Is it better than the Dragon Hunters movie? Because that one is also awesome. It's like a non-interactive action adventure game.