ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Yeah, why not?

The story seems to be that wind (yes, wind) appears to be making people drop down dead... :shifty:

And no, it's not that kind of "wind". :shifty: :shifty: Would probably be loads better if it was.

Actually, from everything I've heard so far, it's because of

evil trees

. :fart:

Back on topic again. I think I'm going to see The Happening next week. Not hoping for an awful lot, based on what The Village delivered, but because of the name I'm kind of hoping it's about 1940s beatniks. Totally Happening man!

Lol! I hope you're not disappointed!

I intend to go see Young People Fucking sometime in the next week or so. I'm actually pretty excited at the idea of (to quote one of the reviews I read) "a sex comedy for people who aren't virgins." In other words, intelligent and adult, but still funny. Sounds like this one may actually have pulled it off. I'll report back if I manage to make it out to it.

In other words, intelligent and adult, but still funny. Sounds like this one may actually have pulled it off.

...so to speak. :getmecoat

Started watching Macross Frontier, which started out as a very good space sci-fi anime, some of the space fights look fantastic, the way they are shot is awesome, however in the latest few episodes it's gone a bit Dawson's Creek by focusing on the relationships between the young protagonists but i assume it'll pick up soon.

Also started watching samurai champloo which is done by the same people as cowboy bebop, based on what I've seen so far :tup: :tup: .

Ah anime... a long-forgotten guilty pleasure. Champloo and Bebop have been on my watch list for ages, but never remember to get around to it.

Loved Macross when I was a kid--and Macross Plus was chuffin' ace! Cheers for the heads up, Ginge.

Well, The Happening was indeed pretty dull. It wasn't a complete train-wreck - the initial mystery is pretty chilling and there are some nice moments of tension. There was even some genuinely funny moments around the middle (some intentional, others perhaps not... 'oh no!'). But the final act just fizzled out and I realised that I was getting bored. The acting was variable too. It has an air of 70's B-movie.

So yeah, watch it when it's on TV, but otherwise I wouldn't be too bothered.

Is it true that everything in it comes down to

man eating trees?

No.

Think of the term "an ill wind" taken to silly (i.e. spontaneous suicide) levels.

Yeah, it's actually half-believable. Basically:

Plants start releasing a neurotoxin that makes people go mad and commit suicide

Started watching Macross Frontier, which started out as a very good space sci-fi anime, some of the space fights look fantastic, the way they are shot is awesome, however in the latest few episodes it's gone a bit Dawson's Creek by focusing on the relationships between the young protagonists but i assume it'll pick up soon.

Also started watching samurai champloo which is done by the same people as cowboy bebop, based on what I've seen so far :tup: :tup: .

While really ill I sat through the entirety of Samurai Champloo it is indeed excellent and the soundtrack surprisingly catchy.

Just watched 'This is England' and '3:10 to Yuma'. This is England is great and has a great performance by a child actor. 'Yuma' left me pretty bemused, the acting was good but the story made no sense whatsoever. The ending is particularly unconvincing.

Mmm, would have to echo the sentiment on 3:10 to Yuma; having quite looked forward to seeing that for some time, it turned out to be quite a flat and somewhat aloof movie. Not a very good Western at all.

Yes, Mrs V and I watched it quite some time ago now in fact. :getmecoat

Really liked it a lot; it's quite uncomfortable in just how close to DDL's character and modus operandi you get, but that's precisely what makes it a phenomenal picture in my opinion.

I seem to habitually forget to post thoughts in the movies thread nowadays... For the record, we're planning to watch Sunshine and 1950's sci-fi classic The Day The Earth Stood Still (in no small part thanks to Breakbeat legend DJ Pain's astonishing album of the same name) over the course of this weekend.

I'll try to remember to report back on those two some time next week.

Day The Earth Stood Still is a great film, and I can actually see how the planned contemporary remake would work, as long as they keep it very low-budget. Even with Keanu Reeves in it.

The Happening was indeed balls, as was Incredible Hulk - two hours of time-killing until the final fight sequence, which was quite good.

Incredible Hulk - two hours of time-killing until the final fight sequence, which was quite good.

This is the only reason I'm somewhat wanting to see this movie. Not because the fight sequence, but because it was filmed about a block from where I live. I want to spot all the local landmarks!

The Incredible Hulk was nice enough. At least it was way better than the previous Hulk movie. It was bit disappointing that

the plot was completely circular and didn't amount to anything and there was absolutely no character development whatsoever, but the final minute of the movie totally made it worthwhile. Tony Stark! Woohoo!

I also saw 21, the Las Vegas blackjack movie. A bit formulaic, with only Kevin Spacey's performance as the thing to lift the experience up.

No movies in Castle Mania last week, but Mrs V and I did watch Sunshine on Saturday night gone; brilliant.

As a big fan of the under-rated Event Horizon, I thought this was excellent sci-fi horror. Not that we were expecting horror, but it made sense and worked well.

I really liked the ending too--a nice metaphor for the concept of meeting your maker upon the moment of death. The soundtrack was great as well.

made sense and worked well.

What? What? The film is complete trash once the horror elements kick in. As horror it's utterly unsurprising and not the least bit terrifying, and every interesting theme from the first hour or so gets thrown out the airlock. It's a disgrace.

What can I say? Maybe Saturday was my one "good" day this year, where I don't automatically pull the head of everything even slighlty flawed out through it's exit hole.

Saw 'In Bruges' last night. High, high quality, with great performance from Colin Farrell, Ralph Feinnes and Brendon Gleeson. Bloody funny. Memorable moments include karate chopping the dwarf, and the 'meeting' between Harry and Ken. Watch it. Now.

http://www.empireonline.com/video/watchmen/

The Watchmen trailer. It's looking absolutely fantastic. Great trailer, and I have good hopes for a great movie. It surprised me how much it enthused me seeing all those wonderful characters from the book suddenly come to life; Nightowl, Ozymandias, Rorschach, The Comedian... Wow.

That's already an incredible realisiation of some of the visuals from the book :tup:

I watched Hancock this morning. It wasn't brilliant, but it was alright, and had some genuinely funny parts. The way they set up the antagonists was pretty good too. Nothing in it was new to superhero stories, but I thought what they did was nicely slanted away from what's gone before.

Edit: I see it only averaged 49 on metacritic, and looking down the list it seems it's definitely a marmite film.

I really liked that the antagonists weren't super powered, and that the ultimate villains were essentially set up quite early in the film by a throwaway joke. Also that there was a super powered ex for other kinds of conflict. I thought the scene that starts with him poking her with a fork was brilliant.

Mrs V and I just watched Sideways (2006) and it was all I could do not to fall asleep. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my better half--she was comatose well before the mid point. Thoroughly dull, plodding, predictable piece of navel-gazing. If this is supposed to be a high point in considered, humorous, modern American cinema, you lot are fucked. :hah:

But it matters not, for I am going to see The Dark Knight this Wednesday eve! At a local early preview no less, with a few friends from work. I don't think I've been this excited about a film since The Phantom Menace, but that turned out to be a suffocatingly huge mountain of infected dead elephant faeces; from what I've heard, Nolan, Bale and Ledger have put together one of the most poignant pieces of popcorn cinema this decade.

I'm so excited, I'm nursing a semi just writing about it! :clap: