ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I'm quite insane of course, but I just bought these socks online

So next year, a Joker cosplay ? That would be awesome!

Don't tempt me, Frodo! :tup: I love his garments... might be worth looking into. Though my next costume will be an honest-to-god Napoleon outfit. Joker is supremely sexy and appealing though. Decisions, decisions!

I'm gonna wear these socks to the premiere of course :grin:

Don't tempt me, Frodo! :tup: I love his garments... might be worth looking into. Though my next costume will be an honest-to-god Napoleon outfit.

But.. but... you don't have the 'physique' of either of the Napoleons! I mean, Clavier and Ian Holm were good representations. Come on, you've got to be The Joker!

May not be chubby enough, but I'm certainly small and I can put up a wicked phony French accent. Honestly, I'm in it for the coat tails. Hey Napoleon! Stop riding my coat tails.

Joker? I'll look into it :grin:

Back to the topic, I saw Red Belt,which is it a blike Kick Boxing if it had been script-doctored by Ken Loach... Frankly, because it's been shot by Mamet, I don't know if it's a complete mess or if it's a pretty good pessimistic movie about corruption. However, I do know that the soundtrack - a cheap mix of Japanese melodies and patronizing spanish guitar solo - is horrendous.

I saw Coppola's new film, Youth Without Youth. It's very beautiful, the cinematography is great, Tim Roth gives a wonderful performance, as does the female lead I didn't recognize. However, there is not a single minute in that movie that makes any sense. It's completely incomprehensible. Made me want to read the book it's based on -- there has to be something that didn't translate to film.

Oh man, this outpouring of high profile love for Spaced (American box set) has me in tears. And check out that commentary! I may have to try and get this somehow.

God, do I want to love this series, but I just like it really really much... myabe it's because I saw the second series and then the first one.

Anyway, if you want a quick fix, there's still

which is pretty awesome too.

I already have both series on DVD. But now I want those new commentaries.

Wait, did you just try to say that you didn't like Spaced?

BANNED!

Tried to watch Green Wing, found it excruciating.

I know, I'm "dead inside."

Spaced is/was the tits, though. And I watched odd episodes from the second series originally, before finally sitting down to watch the whole lot - in the right order :shifty: - years later.

Wait, did you just try to say that you didn't like Spaced?

No, that was just a bad turn of phrase : I meant that I like it very very very much... but I don't love it which saddens me a little.

As well it should.

Nevermind, we can't all be perfect.

Strange, I really loved Green Wing and Spaced, but yet can't deal with Curb, or The Office.

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull

There's only one Thumbs smilie that really sums this film up...

:spiraldy:

For almost 2 - very uncomfortable - hours, I have just watched Lucas and Spielberg kick my childhood hero to death. :\

Balls, someone else I know just used the exact same turn of phrase about it.

Can we offically declare George Lucas a Danger to Himself now?

I think he and Spielberg should share a cell, personally; Steven's barfed nothing but cinematic pap for a good decade now.

The last thing I'll say on the subject is this: Indiana Jones & The Flying Fridge of FAIL.

If you see it, you'll understand why that fucking bizarre retitling makes perfect sense.

fail2.jpg

On another forum I frequent, folk generally have a different viewpoint on films, as people do. They are, however, united in describing Indy 4 as a bag of arse.

Can we offically declare George Lucas a Danger to Himself now?

I'm holding out for American Graffiti II: The Wolfman Returns

My word. It's more of a Crystal Skullfuck. Lucas and Spielberg have jizzed in my eyes.

I could take a lot of the silliness even though it did get distasteful, but inter-dimensional aliens? Fuck off.

I watched Son of Rambow last night. I kind of forgot what specific scenes I thought stood out, but it was great in the theatre overall.

Even if you hated the Hitchhiker's Guide movie, I'd recommend it.

I neglected to mention I watched Hannibal (2001) and Diary of the Dead (2008) while I had a stomach bug a couple of weeks ago.

I really liked Hannibal for its settings, characters and cinematography, but it's not an important film. Just some seriously good fan service. I'm thinking about getting Hannibal Rising sometime, but I've heard very disappointing things about it.

Diary of the Dead, on the other hand, throws up in fans' mouths. Such a ham-fisted, cynical and cheap (in every sense) film I've not seen for a very long time. And I genuinely ended the film hating - and I do mean hating - the thing. Fucking awful.

I watched Diary of the Dead the other day, and I too found it very disappointing. It was billed as "documenting" the events of the start of the outbreak, but in fact we learn two things about it: Jack and Shit (and Jack just left town).

The cast spend their entire time on freeways avoiding the outbreak itself, experiencing it only second hand, whether arriving in already decimated hospitals or by watching other peoples outube videos (the downloaded videos being the only interesting parts.. why couldn't those characters have made this movie?)

So, we learn absolutely nothing new. But the actual horror movie stuff must be OK right? Wrong. I've seen real student zombie films that have better zombie horror in them. Oh and the dialogue is appalling. Oh and none of the characters are interesting or likeable. Oh and the cameraman is the worst of the lot. At one point he films as he chases a zombie chasing a girl, claiming he is "trying to distract it" when he is pretty clearly just waiting to film her get eaten. In contrast the proffessional news cameraman in the prologue actually gets involved and tries to help.

This film bites.

The whole arrangement of Diarrhoea of the Dead was horrible, from the introduction of the premise to the way the narrative built and carried through.

If the detestably lazy, cookie cutter character stereotypes were meant to be ironic, self-referential zombie flick in-jokes, they failed miserably. Are we really supposed to believe the patronizingly campy drunkard English art professor is actually a grizzled, arrow slinging Bosnian war veteran? And why is it necessary to have the argumentative jock, the prissy college girl, the nerdy boy and the mysterious semi-goth girl in this day and age? Oh and don't forget the eccentric spoiled rich kid, too, for all you completists out there. You can fuck right off, Mr Romero.

And the use of things like YouTube and online video news sites just reeked of bandwagon-jumping, in a vain and wholly misguided effort to somehow force the film into a modern setting. Again, if this was the intention - and I'm certain it was, at least in this particular instance - it's such a flacid, infuriatingly short-sighted effort as to make the film actually more irrelevant.

As I said before, hatefully bad schlock--which is actually an insult to 'schlock' anyway. :(

I'm holding out for American Graffiti II: The Wolfman Returns

You mean this?

Indy 4 was middling, but I'd never say it was a bag of arse, despite its faults. I still enjoyed it.