ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I watched No Country for Old Men yesterday: I'm not sure I really got the point of the movie, but I really enjoyed it thoroughly

It's about the complexities and inevitability of destiny.

That and absolutely stunning panoramic photography. :tup:

I thought it was exactly the opposite, there is no destiny. It was all about unfulfilled expectations to me.

Events don't always go as you might expect, sometimes things just happen.

Interesting.

To give a bit more detail to my thinking; I felt it was about having no control over what destiny had alloted for you, no matter how you went about your life. Whether you faced your fears or ran from them, whether you were a murderous butcher or a somewhat cowardly sheriff.

Is that a bit clearer?

I kind of like that interpretation. It affected me deeply, but I think I'll need another viewing before I figure out exactly why. Also, I hated the hitman character a lot at the beginning of the film, but less so at the end for some reason.

The dialogue of the scene where he

threatens the gas station attendant without actually uttering any threats is amazing.

The dialogue of the scene where he

threatens the gas station attendant without actually uttering any threats is amazing.

I was actually more impressed by the way the gas station owner acted. I could never tell if he got the threat or not : some sentence seemed tensed, while the following one would be a clean answer, or a genuine question. It was weird. Weirder in fact than the killer's behaviour, which is pretty consistent throughout the film : he's a psycho.

Gah, enough with the spoilerific threadjack! I get the picture, I must see the movie in order to save my sanity.

In the meantime, find a way to watch BBC's Worlds of Fantasy pt3 as I describe here.

Wall-E looks to have great potential on the character front. I hope they can sustain that for the 80+ minutes the film is likely to run for.

The trailers so far are a delight and remind me a lot of Luxo Junior and Knick Knack.

That movie will probably be amazing.

Space ship interiors make me sad though (in movies or games or anywhere). I love it when 3D is used for more natural environments. See Ratatouille for the ultimate example.

Interesting.

To give a bit more detail to my thinking; I felt it was about having no control over what destiny had alloted for you, no matter how you went about your life. Whether you faced your fears or ran from them, whether you were a murderous butcher or a somewhat cowardly sheriff.

Is that a bit clearer?

I think the title kind of sums it up, really. The film is about the realisation that the world moves on without you. That eventually you will grow old and lose your place and make way for another side of humanity that you can't even fathom.

But it's more than that, even.

Tommy Lee Jones' character is convinced the world owes him a hero's welcome by default, because his father and forefathers were all renowned for their great deeds.

But, when as reaches retirement at the close of the film, he's put out to pasture not knowing what to do with all the time he now has on his hands--and leaves no legacy behind him.

Except that of his elders, which were shoes he was expected to fill.

I think the title kind of sums it up, really. The film is about the realisation that the world moves on without you. That eventually you will grow old and lose your place and make way for another side of humanity that you can't even fathom.

Theres also that element of fate: That there are good people and bad people but in the end, death is arbitrary, nondiscriminatory, and inescapable.

The fact that the killer is, in the end, after being hunted by even Woody Harreleson (supposedly a trained killer himself), he is (at least partially) destroyed in the end by a completely random and arbitrary occurrence; the car crash. The fact that he gave his victims the chance at a coin flip to save their lives emphasizes the idea that death is itself an arbitrary occurrence. The killer even says that the coin got to the man the same way he did, alluding to lines of fate which govern our lives and determine when we will narrowly miss death and when we will die. The fact that you could run forever and still not escape is reminiscent of the ancient Greek myths which feature the theme of fate and absolute prophecy. We know from O Brother, Where Art Thou that Greek mythology has inspired the Cohen brothers in the past.

Yeah, it's awesome. I never actually saw Life on Mars though, so have just been liking it on its own merits — of which there are many.

I coincidentally started watching Life on Mars today, and two episodes in I'm really enjoying it. It's definitely got more focus on the external stimuli thing, which is pretty cool. I guess they didn't feel they needed to do so much with that in Ashes to Ashes.

I didn't really like Life On Mars very much at all - the creepy insane?/coma?/timetravel? stuff was all good, but the other 25(?) minutes of boring cliched cop show was awful.

Ashes To Ashes is just shit.

Hee. Is any British success not converted to American these days? ;

Weird how it doesn't tend to happen the other way round.

Actually the biggest irony is that it has happened in the most stupid of ways.

Friends was so popular that they converted it into 'Coupling' (rubbish but better than Friends). Coupling was popular enought the Americans then tried to make an American version of Coupling, it failed miserably.

It was a rip-off rather than an official remake. Wikipedia sez:

The sitcom has often been criticised as being a 'British version of Friends.' However, in interviews Steven Moffat has cited Seinfeld as being more of an inspiration and this can be seen in some aspects of unusual plotting and character interaction.

I'm currently watching the French (but English language) miniseries Napoléon on DVD after having seen it first on tv a few years back. It's really quite good, with an excellent cast of actors. John Malkovich is great as the famous diplomat Talleyrand and Christian Clavier makes the most charming emperor ever seen. Fantastic stuff.

NapoleonCE%20001.jpg