ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

No Country For Old Men :tup: :tup: :tup:

I heartily concur, as was 'There will be Blood'.

Anyone even slightly curious about seeing Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem. Don't, seriously. One of the worst films I've ever seen.

Cloverfield is the best 'modern' monster film I've seen in years.

I'd say everyone should see it, but make sure you go to the best-equipped cinema you can -- it's stunning. :tup: :tup: :tup:

Cool, I really want to see Cloverfield. I just need someone to go with now :P

Saw Todd Sweeney yesterday. Loved the overall story, but on a scene-by-scene basis... well... I had several naps during the film. I probably would have liked it more in the form of a play (which I assume it originally was?) and not in movie form. Extremely tiresome.

Finally been getting into The Wire and everything you guys said about it is true. I'm halfway through season one and I'm eating it up like cherry garcia. The pilot was really tough to get into, though. It's a bit like this. But once you know who everyone is and what their roles are, it's totally great. I love how many characters there are.

No Country For Old Men = :tup:

Eagle versus Shark ... I stopped it at about half an hour in. I just couldn't watch it anymore. It was TRYING SO HARD TO BE QUIRKY. Argh. I guess this one didn't click for me.

Sunshine. Very predictable pulpy scifi... not an amazing film, but it's entertaining enough. Nice visual effects... sometimes it feels like the sun is burning holes into your eyes because it's so bright. On the other hand the director did some really retarded things.

Those brief flashes of the dead crew? Pffffffff.

Dexter. Holy crap amazing. :tup: :tup: :tup: Finished season 1, on to season 2.

I saw an episode of The Peter Serafinowicz Show which was mentioned earlier in this thread and there's some really funny bits in it. Couldn't find the other episodes on the webnet though.

While I'm at it, let me repeat my earlier recommendation of The Man From Earth. Check it out if you're looking for something odd and campy.

Whoa hey what's this.

Juno = :tup: :tup: :tup: Supremely good.

Also, from 2005, but WELL worth hunting down: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer - both are excellent in it).

Also, from 2005, but WELL worth hunting down: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer - both are excellent in it).[/Quote]

Yes! I was the only person I knew at the time who saw it in theaters. It really went under the radar, but I thought it was spectacular.

I know there are a few Battlestar Galactica fans here, and I've been curious about it ever since it was endorsed by Joss Whedon (Firefly was the best 14 episodes of television I've ever watched). Can someone explain to me what it is and why it's so good? I know it's something I'd like to try, I just know nothing about it. :getmecoat

Oddly, I'm kind of in the opposite position of Marek and Thunderpeel on Juno and Eagle vs Shark. I really liked Eagle, I thought it was cute and funny. Nothing spectacular, but a really sweet little movie. Juno on the other hand was trying so bloody hard to make itself fit in with the hipster teen crowd that it completely lost me. The acting was good, the plot was solid, and it had a few genuinely great moments, but it all seemed lost in a sea of references to bands and movies that made the movie feel like it was trying very hard to alienate itself from a larger audience. The fact that I know these bands and movies is supposed to make me like the movie more and let me identify, I think, but really it just made me feel like I was being pandered to and I got a little turned away by it.

WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS AND NOT WATCHING IT ALREADY FFS?
But yeah close this thread and go watch it. Most people find the miniseries (with which it all began) to be a bit hard to get through but once you start watching the first actual season the quality and intensity goes up very fast.

I'm excited to see what I'm missing. :yep: So do I start with the miniseries?

Juno on the other hand was trying so bloody hard to make itself fit in with the hipster teen crowd that it completely lost me. The acting was good, the plot was solid, and it had a few genuinely great moments, but it all seemed lost in a sea of references to bands and movies that made the movie feel like it was trying very hard to alienate itself from a larger audience. The fact that I know these bands and movies is supposed to make me like the movie more and let me identify, I think, but really it just made me feel like I was being pandered to and I got a little turned away by it.

That's an odd reaction. I too got all the references, but I never felt like I was being "pandered" to. The music was only ever used to show the growing relationship between Juno and the father to be. Such a minor element of the whole story. Even if you didn't get the references, it still made the sub-text clear, and I was happy to see that the references reflected the characters and felt actually real. If anything it made me identify with the father to be character even more; he seemed like a very real person (as did they all, really).

The whole film (with the exception of that bizarre scene in the store at the beginning) felt very real to me. Sigh, I could go on. Just about the most perfect movie I've seen in a long while.

Also, an odd experience to watch a movie that's entirely narrated by a female character. Makes me realise how male-dominated cinema can be!

Well, in fairness, a part of my negative reaction is probably due to the fact that it's getting such high accolades (and even a best picture nomination!?!?) that I don't think it really deserves. As I said, it was a good movie, and many aspects of it were spot on. Ellen Page is a fantastic actress (see Hard Candy for more awesome) and everyone in it did very well. It was cute, it was fun. It was nowhere near the best picture I've seen this year. I went into it with such high expectations and was thoroughly disappointed. I'd recommend that everyone go see it, but don't get your hopes as high as I did. It's good, but it's not that good.

Also, the girl and I have decided that our valentine's outing will be to There Will Be Blood. Can't wait to see this movie. The benefits of dating a cinema geek are becoming very clear to me.

I watched Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang with Mrs V. late last year but completely forgot to mention it here; it's a good story, definitely worth watching if you're at a loose end and need a backup film.

As for BSG, I think you should start with the episode '33' (S1E1), LOP. If you don't enjoy that, you won't enjoy anything more of the series.

Also, the girl and I have decided that our valentine's outing will be to There Will Be Blood. Can't wait to see this movie. The benefits of dating a cinema geek are becoming very clear to me.

:tup: Nothing says "Valentine's Day" quite like a film about a hateful, bitter greedy man matching wits against a deluded, self-important greedy man. My kinda girl.

I just finished watching the first season of Damages. It's a legal drama, which usually wouldn't interest me. It's a bit different. There's only one case through the series. It's like a prolonged miniseries, with each episode strictly connected to the plotline. Absolutely fantastic, deep characters that only slowly start to relieve themselves to the reader. The first episode doesn't reveal all that, so keep watching.

The acting is superb, especially this guy:

damages111.jpg

His name is Željko Ivanek, he was born in Slovenia and has a lovely Southern accent.

:tup: :tup: :tup:

Ray Fiske is by far the best character on Damages. I liked the show, Glenn Close and Ted Dansen are also great, but it's nowhere near as good as Mad Men (the other big new summer series).

I watched the pilot tonight for a new BBC comedy drama called Being Human. I guess it's kind of like This Life meets Buffy. Three flatmates and their lives, one being a vampire, one a werewolf and one a ghost who haunts their flat. It was a just a one off, so hard to tell where it would go, but it was a hell of a lot better than any other british supernatural/sci-fi series of recent years (most of which have been utterly awful X-files wannabes). Here's hoping it gets a whole series.

That actually sounds pretty interesting. Given the whole Canadian and not getting BBC thing, I would have to download or stream it from somewhere to watch, so keep me posted if it gets a series so I can find some way to check it out.

And Nachimir, I just saw my first TV spot for BKRW, which means I'll be able to see it soon. This makes me psyched as well.

"Sorry, this programme is only available to play in the UK"

Argh! It'll be gone by the time I get back to the UK. Cocking, fucking, cock fucking iplayer :( :(