ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I 'm not that excited about the new bat film, the first one was king of the meh. It was a generic action film with a batman skin tacked on, it lacked any proper nod to its comic heritage and Bale's “lets act like a plank” method completely missed the character of the Bat, he is tortured, full of hate and the need for revenge but desperately trying not to go over the edge, not an emo twat.

I 'm not that excited about the new bat film, the first one was king of the meh. It was a generic action film with a batman skin tacked on, it lacked any proper nod to its comic heritage and Bale's “lets act like a plank” method completely missed the character of the Bat, he is tortured, full of hate and the need for revenge but desperately trying not to go over the edge, not an emo twat.

You're so wrong, on almost every count. You've probably only come to this opinion because it's what spaff told you to think. Go read Year 1.

I haven't read year one, but I can't believe that he is that different to other incarnations of the bat, it really is a dull fim to watch that tries far to hard to be set in the "real world".

And Bale's complete lack of acting ability in the film is not wrong. He really fails to convey the emotions and turmoil that he should.

Rather than jsut saying I'm wrong tell me why I am.

You sure you're not getting confused with Spider-Man 3? I couldn't recommend a grown-up action film more highly than Batman Begins.

I really love batman he is one of my favourite comic book heroes, as action films goes it was alright (IMO) but for comic/film adaptations I prefer the burton/300/Sin city style. Apart from the story I feel there is very little Batman about it.

If you haven't read Year One, how can you comment on how good an adaptation the film is?

Because it is an adaptation on a character, it could be that year one is poor representation of Batman, but he captures Batman's essence so well in his 2 Dark Knight books (I know they are oposite ends of the bat's life but still), I will go and read year one and then re-watch the film and pass judgement again.

I'd be really gutted if year one is as poor a representation of of what I love about Batman. It will make cry.

The thing that is most awesome about Batman is that everyone can constantly give their own, new, fresh view on who and what he is. That's what keeps it fresh, as opposed to Superman who has been the same for the last five hundred years of his existence.

That said, I just saw the Transformers movie, and it was atrocious. I wasn't bothered at all that it wasn't in the slightest like the cartoon Transformers. Rather, it was just such a mediocre film. It didn't work on any level. Even visually, though superficially attractive, it didn't work. The designs were far too detailed; on any normal scene the robots would blur into gray masses that had no contrast and were indistinguishable from each other.

I should also not fail to mention how completely unsympathetic all the actors were. I wished all of them bad things and couldn't relate to any of them. The teenagers were all punks and skanks, the adults either burly army men or comic relief governmental agents. Then there was no depth at all, not even the slightest hint of a theme, and the plot was horrendous and illogical. Their life force is suddenly deadly? Why does the Allspark only produce ravenous Decepticons? What what what? It doesn't make any sense! Kill it! Kill it now!

I thought Transformers was fun, in a really dumb kind of way. It is Michael Bay. As far as faithfulness to the original goes, it's a travesty. And yeah, any Video game character artist could have told them characters need to have unique outlines ;)

It succeeded in making me laugh a few times during the first half, and as far as the more serious second half goes, maybe I judged more favourably because I got to see a special cut - the one where the later action scenes are really short due to falling asleep :)

I Am Legend wasn't half bad. Despite an anticlimatic ending and the fact that the monsters were neither believable or scary, I liked it. The thing that worked best was the sense of loneliness and Smith gradually losing his mind. Oh, and as a dog owner his relationship with his dog Sam felt really sincere and touching. That dog can really act!

I saw Das Leben Der Anderen today, which is about a guy working for the stasi (DDR secret police). There's a lot of grey in it. Grey buildings, grey clothes, grey souls. In other words: communism portrayed accurately. Within all that grey is a subtle but interesting story. The plot is thin but that's what makes it work quite well... everyone is quietly being spied on, and everyone is sort of quietly freaking out.

therewillbeblood.JPG

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

If Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't get an Oscar (or Golden Globe)... there will be blood. :shifty:

Thanks Spaff for recommending Wristcutters: A Love Story to me. Great premise, very quirky, very funny in an extremely off-beat way. Might be a bit too indie for some people, but I found it an easy watch.

I watchd all of Jekyl recently, and it's okay. Ian Nesbitt usually seems to play dishevelled, good natured middle aged men, but he takes on a suave and sinister role quite well as Hyde. Some of his dialogue is excellent.

I think it's worth watching, even though it unfortunately goes from amazing for the first few episodes then has a really camp end.

Spanking!

-~-~-~-

Mrs V and I didn't actually get started on Dexter the other night as planned -- she wanted to watch the umpteenth reinvention of Sense & Sensibility. :(

But, thanks to a particularly nasty case of acute tonsillitis, the lady of the house has been bed-bound for several days with just a crappy 4-channel terrestrial tellybox for company. So we've taken to watching a couple episodes of Dex season 1 in bed most nights. We're currently up to episode 8 and are both completely hooked. Thanks all for the recommendations!

Right, quick update:

• Dexter: Ripped through season 1 and both of us are well and truly (meat-) hooked; season 2 already queued up and raring to go!
  • BSG: Season 3 remained completely arse until the couple of court episodes, which are two of the best in BSG's history IMHO; Razor was an interesting if clumsy - and largely irrelevant - diversion.
  • The Wire: Finished season 1 and absolutely loved it; already started on season 2 and was completely engrossed by the end of episode 3.

Oh man, I just discovered the funniest Tv show! Flight of the conchords!

It's a musical comedy about three guys from new zealand. Who live in New York and play in a band. Well two of the guys play in the band and the thrid guy is their manager. It's hilarious stuff. Every episode they break out in song & dance at random moments. It's hilarious stuff.

Here's a sample:

And this one is from the HBO comedy special:

Thank you ysbreker. I can't believe I only just got around to this! It's

Bloody awesome movie. Enjoy.

We did; it's a difficult film in the way that it takes effort and consideration to really appreciate the various stories being told, how where they fit together and where they don't, and also what the overall essence of the film is about.

It's also darkly humorous too, but not obscurely or obscenely so -- it's actually quite stark and surprising in how it comes out in the conversations.

If it were to win any Oscars though, I'd say definitely for cinematography and sound; they're absolutely fantastic and a true pleasure to experience.

As for the acting, it's all good - occasionally very good - but it's nothing really outstanding or career-defining for anyone involved.

So, I definitely recommend this film to anyone who's after something either more challenging or artistic than your usual cinema fair.

I've been watching season one of Millennium, Chris Carter's ill-fated X-Files spin-off.

I can't possibly imagine why it was cancelled. It's so uncommonly, humblingly awesome, and Lance Henrikssen is splendiferous as Frank Black.

It is a bit dark, though. Sort of relentlessly gloomy, and nobody EVER smiles in it. Which may explain the poor ratings. It probably depressed people.

I didn't even realize there was another ill-fated X Files spin off after The Lone Gunmen tanked so hard.

I've been watching season one of Millennium, Chris Carter's ill-fated X-Files spin-off.

I can't possibly imagine why it was cancelled. It's so uncommonly, humblingly awesome, and Lance Henrikssen is splendiferous as Frank Black.

You'll have a better idea once you get through the whole thing. It was such a conceptually schizophrenic show that you can only like two of its three seasons. Either 1 & 2 or 1 & 3. You'll see once you get there :fart:

Also it's not an X-Files spin-off.

Although they did merge the two universes late in the x-files life by having a crossover episode with lance henriksen appearing, I think it was to round off the plot of Millenium a little or something.

Yeah, I guess it was more of a spiritual successor than a spin-off.

Apparently Frank Black will appear in the forthcoming X-Files movie, which is exciting.