ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Oh it's most certainly out here.

Went to see a screening last saturday (10th) followed by a Q&A with Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright and Nick Frost.... awesome!

The film is the best thing they've done, simply superb, was smiling constantly and laughing most of the time. Go see it!

Sounds awesome! I am doubtful Hot Fuzz can surpass Shaun of the Dead though... the trailer was nice enough, but didn't tickle my fancy as much as the romantic comedy with zombies did. But I'll go see it regardless. If it's even a smidgeon as good as its predecessor, it'll rock.

[Hot Fuzz] is the best thing they've done, simply superb, was smiling constantly and laughing most of the time. Go see it!

(Possibly) Interesting Factoid: Hot Fuzz is based in a village just a couple of miles from where I live. :tup:

It's so weird to see little local spots I know really well on a huge cinema screen, but also very cool.

So you live near Wells then! (that's the name isn't it?)

Rodi, I felt exactly the same way as you, I was in no way expecting it to surpass Shaun of the Dead but received an extremely pleasant surprise.

I didn't notice if anyone mentioned these shows yet or not, but I think I'll put my two cents in about the show HEROES and Smallville. Heroes has good character development, great story and good dialogue as well. As for Smallville, since the first few seasons it's gotten much deeper and the characters just keep twisting and falling into the oblivion. Also, I enjoy the small puns that the writers make about the future events like JLA and the names and costume colors of future heroes. Other than those two I'm pretty much a CSI fan(the original, not the latter two spin offs) simply because it's a consistently entertaining show when nothing else is on.

I watched El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth) last night - what a film! The settings were crammed with detail, the special effects and creature make-up were fantastic and the over-arching story really sucks you in. The acting was pretty much solid - without being exceptional - across the board, too. Best 2hrs I've spent in front of a (non-games) screen in a while.

Also, it contains a surprising amount of gore and brutality for a film about fairies... :fart:

Elf is the anglo saxon word (from the Germanic "alf").

Fairie is the french/gallic word for the same thing.

Elf is the anglo saxon word (from the Germanic "alf").

Fairie is the french/gallic word for the same thing.

Hey now, I hope you're not talking about The ALF, he's definitly not evil. He might steal your PB&J though, elves on the other hand, are definitly evil. Nothing is completely neutral. Anyway, continue on. I'm enjoying this forum more and more.

ALF is totally evil. For one, he eats cats.

Hmm. Can we get an ALF smiley?

That's why he's not evil. He is a champion for all humanity. Cat's are one of the two things in this world that are absolutely and purely evil. And I applaud Alf for his efforts.

Hmm. Can we get an ALF smiley?

Maybe one of Alf eating a cat. Or do I have to organize a rally to protect him from all the biased cat people? I consider myself a cat person, but some cats just deserve to be eaten, like those hairless ones, and siamese cats. Maybe we could put Alf on a strict diet of Siamese and Hairless.

OK, you're probably right. I like cats, and they like me, but that might be because we are both evil :devil:

hey what happened to the :evil: smiley?

Dunno, I think he was part of a comic book. Someone should bring that guy back though. Along with Earthworm Jim. That would make a great show.

Re-watched Buffalo 66, Vincent Galo is genius in this film.

'Thank you for smoking' - I haven't laughed that hard in so long

'Love and Death on long Island' - A good John Hurt and Jason Priestly film, which I re-watched because of the previous film (there is a joke in LDLI to do with smoking), hasn't aged well but still worth watching.

Dexter is really good. Need to watch more episodes.

Anyone else disappointed that 'The Departed' won the Oscar? Yeah, it was okay, but with so many better films out this year it feels like people are falling over themselves to throw Scorcese an award every time he farts out a half decent film. I mean 'Gangs of New York' would have been nothing without Daniel Day-Lewis.

Not in the least.

Dexter is wonderful. It's worth watching the first season just to see the last scene, it's great :)