ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Studio 60 is really much better right now. Try and catch one of the last two episodes if you can.

The Wire, which just aired its season 4 finale today, only sets the bar even higher for earning "most important TV show ever" status, despite having attained that position long ago.

I've watched the first two episodes of the first series and absolutely loved them. Having trouble finding the time to watch any more right now, though - or BSG S3, or Darkplace (loved the 1st ep. of that, too) - which is really annoying. :frusty:

Ban Christmas!

I've been really getting into Entourage lately. It's nice that there's a series about Hollywood stardom and hot chicks that doesn't suck enormous ass.

Ari is hilarious.

It's probably unnecessary to mention, but Videogaiden (the best televised games programme thing) ended yesterday. If you didn't see it you can download all 6 episodes of the show too wild to live, too beautiful to die (even though it did) on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/videogaiden/

Does anyone has any links to torrents of these episodes? Something like Gaiden deserves to be viewed in higher resolution than the BBC Scotland site can offer us.

I don't know about torrents but I got the 6th through the same way that I got the 5th in the Gaiden thread. :)

Just saw Fuck. Not a bad little documentary. Basically a history of the word and various censorship movements over the years. Nothing revolutionary, but a good time. And animation by Bill Plympton, so throw a win in that column.

The reason I like House MD is because Dr. House constantly plays on his GBA SP, and even a DS, never mind that the sounds don't correllate with the images.

There are other reasons.

I watched Brick at the weekend. Really don't rate it myself; seems like a teenage amateur dramatics project that got way too much budget. The dialogue also seemed to be deliberately 'clicky', with every line having some unfamiliar term or frame of reference shoe-horned in by strict directorial mandate. I also couldn't help but draw parallels between it and Bugsy Malone afterwards either.

A frustrating - and therefore irritating - 1.5 hours overall, but I get the feeling I'm perhaps not the intended audience. It was nicely shot in places though.

I'm hoping Little Miss Sunshine is more enjoyable, which is on next at the House d'Vania Odeon.

The US vs John Lennon is an interesting little film. Basically a documentary focusing on the political struggles between Lennon and the Nixon administration. Lots of cool little factoids contained therein, and I enjoyed the time in the theater. One that I'm kind of looking forward to that's coming up pretty shortly is The Last King of Scotland with Forest Whittaker as Idi Amin. Anyone had a chance to check it out at festivals or suchlike? Wouldn't mind hearing some opinions on it.

One that I'm kind of looking forward to that's coming up pretty shortly is The Last King of Scotland with Forest Whittaker as Idi Amin. Anyone had a chance to check it out at festivals or suchlike? Wouldn't mind hearing some opinions on it.

I'm really looking forward to The Last King of Scotland also, based on (surprise surprise) PIXELSURGEON's excellent in-depth review.

I am not a viral marketeer for PIXELSURGEON, honest!

In the past three days, I've watched :

The Third Man which is the excellent and made me fall in love with Orson Welles all over again.

Me and You and Everyone We Know - on Tim Schafer's recommandation -which is either a emotionnaly brilliant film I have issues to understand or the greatest piece of shit of in the history of films. There is no in-between and I still can't make up my mind.

1984, the '84 version, which is quite good but not as striking as I would have imagined.

Me You and Everyone Else - on Tim Schafer's recommandation -which is either a emotionnaly brilliant film I have issues to understand or the greatest piece of shit of in the history of films. There is no in-between and I still can't make up my mind.

Back and forth. Forever. Love that movie. Good on Schafer for recommending it.

I assumed that that's what he was referring to, thus the reference. If there's some other movie that I just completely missed, I apologize.

I just watched the pilot of My Name Is Earl because I recognized the dude from the avatar :earl: and I'm pretty sure this is a series I'm going to continue watching. :tup:

People often complain about nothing good being on TV but it feels like in recent years that's changed. Maybe it's because downloads and DVD sets have made it possible for TV writers to demand more attention from the audience, I don't know, but there's a ton of good shit out there. Even sitcoms or fluffy shows have some meat to them. I mean, I was surprised to find out that The Office (US) is not only watchable, it's also kind of sort of a bit good.

It's a shame something genius like Arrested Development gets cancelled but then again it lasted three whole seasons on a network that hates quality.

Marek, TV is still overwhelmingly awful. It's just a few series that have begun to realise shows don't have to be dispensible and can be works of creativity, resulting in a host of quality HBO series, Dreamworks epics and other company flagships. On the other side, you have public television that ocassionally manages to produce good television. In the Netherlands, that's usually the better news/politics shows and cabaret/satire.

Also, yesterday I bought the third season of Farscape on DVD in Germany. Those boxes aren't cheap, but at least they exist, as opposed to other countries that don't care about Farscape.

SELL SELL SELL THAT QUALITY SCI-FI :stan:

Oh. And on Christmas Day, I watched the entirety of Season One of Slings & Arrows. Great, great show. If you're not Canadian, you'd probably never heard of it -- but try to check it out if you can. It's basically a drama/comedy following the action behind the scenes at the "not-really-Stratford but you know it's meant to be Stratford" Shakespeare festival as they try to stage the marquee play of the season (season one being Hamlet). Paul Gross (the mountie from Due South), as the constantly near-mental breakdown Artistic Director, is great in this. It's also the show where Rachel McAdams got her big break.

It's entertaining and you even learn a bit about Shakespeare's plays while you watch it. Can't lose with that.

I should mention that for the past two years I haven't had a TV connection so that may color my judgment, as I can pretty much just cherry pick whatever I like from downloads or DVDs.... (I totally recommend doing this, by the way). So I'm only looking at the best, not the worst, nor the ratio between good and bad.

Oh. And on Christmas Day, I watched the entirety of Season One of Slings & Arrows. Great, great show. If you're not Canadian, you'd probably never heard of it -- but try to check it out if you can. It's basically a drama/comedy following the action behind the scenes at the "not-really-Stratford but you know it's meant to be Stratford" Shakespeare festival as they try to stage the marquee play of the season (season one being Hamlet). Paul Gross (the mountie from Due South), as the constantly near-mental breakdown Artistic Director, is great in this. It's also the show where Rachel McAdams got her big break.

It's entertaining and you even learn a bit about Shakespeare's plays while you watch it. Can't lose with that.

That sounds pretty good. When did it air and what channel did it air on? I'm surprised I've never heard of it, as I try to keep up on the Canadian shows. (Still pissed they cancelled This is Wonderland...)

I bought the third season of Farscape on DVD in Germany. Those boxes aren't cheap, but at least they exist, as opposed to other countries that don't care about Farscape.

Love Farscape, although season 3 dipped very sharply in story writing early on -- the whole "we're trapped in a game!" plot of one particular episode was so ball-achingly generic, even Farscape's usual charms couldn't save it. But what a superb "We Don't Give a F*ck!" ending! Especially the special Peacekeeper Wars mini-series.

Greatest animated series = Batman: The Animated Series

Greatest Batman movie = Batman and the Mask of Phantasm (the animated feature)

Awesome storytelling, art direction, animation, voice work (Luke Skywalker is the joker!), soundtrack (Danny Elfman), etc. I'm watching them now.

Not as good, but still nice is Batman Beyond.