ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I've been watching Torchwood the past few weeks, the Doctor Who Spin off (spot the anagram!) It's... OK, I guess. The first episode grabbed my interest at least, and the fourth one had a nice twist on the cybermen, but failed to deliver at the end. It's all a bit hokey to be honest, and the BBC special effects don't really help. Also the "monster of the week" format is so 90's. The show is basically X-files meets The Bill.

I'm sorry to say, that after some of the excellent sci-fi I've seen from the US over the past couple of years or so (BSG and Firefly at the top) I've lost faith that British TV can do sci-fi well. It's not just the FX budgets, it's the writing and the understanding of the genre (although the show does have some good gags in the black humour vein). US screen scifi right now seems to be catching up fast to the written format, which itself is much more accepted as "serious" over there. Over here the whole thing still seems to be treated in a kind of amateur kid-in-his-bedroom kind of way. Bah.

Well, I thought the Spiderman 3 trailer made the movie look hilariously melodramatic. Also, if the trailer is anything to go by, Venom is going to suck, which is a crying shame seeing as they did him so well in the cartoon. Maybe they're just saving the good Venom bits for the movie. Maybe...

:tdown:

I've been watching Torchwood [and] it's... OK, I guess.

Torchwood is shite.

It's knowingly 100% dependent on long-cliched material, shameless in the way it uses it and, whilst it's pitched at an "adult" audience, it's childishly written and therefore quite offensive/patronising to watch. In my opinion it should've met the same fate Rose's equally-crap-sounding spin off series: axed before it went anywhere near a studio.

To my mind New Dr. Who has already reached its peak with the episode where Rose "died". So in this respect I agree with Dan's standpoint on mainstream British sci-fi. However, BBC4 (for all 6 of us who occaissionally watch it) are about to launch a Brit Sci-Fi season, which has at least the potential to deliver something more solid. Cross your fingers by all means--just don't hold your breath. ;(

As for noir-ish stuff, I've had a copy of Half Nelson kicking around for a few weeks now but haven't watched it yet. Might be up your street though, Marek, going by PIXELSURGEON's review.

Are we thinking about the same Half Nelson? It just left theaters in my city (I've been projecting it for a while now, and as such have watched it several times through.) and, while a good movie, is not anything that I'd really call "noir." This is the Ryan Gosling movie, right?

EDIT: Also, just got back from Borat. Fucking hilaious.

I just saw the whole first season (alright, that's only six episodes) of Dark Place. Quite funny! The off-tune intro theme cracked us up every time.

I just saw the whole first season (alright, that's only six episodes) of Dark Place. Quite funny! The off-tune intro theme cracked us up every time.

Oh man, I love Darkplace. I can't wait till I get back to Budapest and get my dvd. If you liked Darkplace you'll probably also enjoy AD/BC: A Rock Opera (parts 2 and 3). Matt Berry is the best. Check out Snuff Box too.

Is there a place where one could... sample the whole show (just seen that one episode online)? :shifty: Especially us "across the pond" types.

Also, recently watched The Proposition. :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: So good.

Is there a place where one could... sample the whole show (just seen that one episode online)? :shifty: Especially us "across the pond" types.

Also, recently watched The Proposition. :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: So good.

*cough* torrent *cough*

The second episode is also on youtube.

The Proposition was good, but it could have been much much better if they hadn't focused so much on the sheriff and more on Guy Pierce and his brother. They were much more interesting characters.

[quote name=DanJ

I'm sorry to say, that after some of the excellent sci-fi I've seen from the US over the past couple of years or so (BSG and Firefly at the top) I've lost faith that British TV can do sci-fi well. It's not just the FX budgets, it's the writing and the understanding of the genre (although the show does have some good gags in the black humour vein). US screen scifi right now seems to be catching up fast to the written format, which itself is much more accepted as "serious" over there. Over here the whole thing still seems to be treated in a kind of amateur kid-in-his-bedroom kind of way. Bah.[/quote]

Funny you should say this as I just re-watched Ultraviolet, the British vampire TV series. I remembered really liking it, this time round it was still good, but it is like the Brits just can't take themselves seriously when it comes to anything that isn't a period piece.

That said American Sci-fi might rule, but English comedy still lords over most of the stuff over here (Mr. Show excluded). I can't believe they are trying to make a version of Peepshow for NA... So wrong.

*cough* torrent *cough*

The second episode is also on youtube.

Was hoping for something more specific :shifty:

I've been watching heroes. Was rather sceptic at the beginning of the series, but it's been picking up steam every episode and I really like it now. The story is well thought out and I have the feeling it's actually working towards something. Unlike prisonbreak which I also follow, but more out of habit. Prisonbreak started alright but as soon as they escaped the script made a gigantic nosedive.

I watched Heroes recently, which was enjoyable but not nearly as brilliant as everyone around me seems to think. I also watched some Dexter the other day, which I found much more intriguing and enjoyable to watch than the former.

I've been watching heroes. Was rather sceptic at the beginning of the series, but it's been picking up steam every episode and I really like it now. The story is well thought out and I have the feeling it's actually working towards something. Unlike prisonbreak which I also follow, but more out of habit. Prisonbreak started alright but as soon as they escaped the script made a gigantic nosedive.

Heroes has its good moments. Wouldn't say it's a great series, all these parallel stories are somewhat distracting. But it's enjoyable.

As for Prisonbreak, it's starting to become repetative and thus boring. It feels like they are strechting everything by continuously introducing new plot elements. And the quality of the episodes also have gone down hill. A lot of episodes lack tension. The "Riots, Drills and the Devil" episodes were simply awesome.

Thank you, Moos, for that link. I love JCS, and this is remarkably true to the movie. Funny too.

I have a good feeling about Heroes, it's been going to the right direction more and more as the season is progressing. Is it really going to be only 13 episodes for the first season?

Has anyone seen the fountain? I'm always interested when someone tries to make (or remake as it sometimes is) a real sci-fi movie. It's been panned by critics, but I might see anyway...hopefully it doesn't leave the theaters too quickly.

Miffy? -being a projectionist and all...

Has anyone seen the fountain? I'm always interested when someone tries to make (or remake as it sometimes is) a real sci-fi movie. It's been panned by critics, but I might see anyway...hopefully it doesn't leave the theaters too quickly.

Miffy? -being a projectionist and all...

I saw it. I liked it. It's not great, but it has its pluses if you approach it from a certain way. Like, for example, not thinking that it's a sci-fi film (about time travel, as the trailers make it out to be). It's really not.

It's been running at my theater the last two weeks. Kinda cliched sometimes, and the message is pretty heavy handed but overall it's definitely worth seeing. If only they wouldn't harp so much on "live in the moment" and let the story stand more often, it'd be full-out amazing.

Apparently, it's a bit disappointing in the depiction of the Francist movement [basically, they are shown as Nazis ... which is what I though they kinda were before people told me they were different without specifying me in which way] and some people complains it is far more simplistic than what the teasers/trailers were suggesting.

Still, it looks very, very impressive; it's just a shame it's not in my town's theaters anymore.

Anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth yet?

It looks good* and sounds good, but I'm always interested to know what others think.

* Who the fuck still thinks bloody awful trailer voice-overs are still necessary nowadays?

I wanted to see this when it was in town, but it was sold out completely. It had MASSIVE buzz though and a lot of positive press at the film festival (could have likely won best picture and not that stupid Death of a President bullshit). Really looking forward to it, but I know I won't likely see it until it hits DVD.

In a similar vein, there's Tarsem Singh's "The Fall". Not nearly as positive a reception, but I like those kind of grand visual films (and, well, I just saw "Play Time" for the first time :tup: )

Those aren't Nazis? Granted, I've only seen the trailer from the booth, which means I can't hear a damn thing, but I could've sworn that it took place during the French occupation. Whatever. It still has yet to hit my city, and I'm pretty interested to check it out. Should be here in a little less than a month.

Has anyone watched all of Studio 60? I think I stopped around the fifth episode or so. It seemed like it was going down hill to me. How's the rest of the season?

I still very much like studio 60. The wagging finger undertone is still there. So far each episode still has this criticizing undertone to just about every preconception out there. But I still like the humor of the show and take the :oldman:-ing for granted.

I kinda like the fact that Studio 60 is preachy... I know it's wrong and cheesy but still, I enjoy it. That aside, the actors are good, cinematography and directing are excellent, the dialogs are top notch ... my only complain is that the character's flaws are mentionned then flushed down the toilets which makes character development less interesting that what it could be.

It also feels like , to gain momentum and to grow, the show is going to need a real opponent beside fate, the guys at studio 60 themselves or distant economical/political/religious groups.

The good news is that apparently, Sorking got a guy to work on the sketches of the Studio 60 Show so that they are better and the setting feels more believable.

It's the only sseries I'll keep watching when it comes back for the rest of the season next year. I'm not watching BSG because I want to watch the third season when it's over and I'm waiting the end of Heroes S1 to see if it's worth the time.

(and, well, I just saw "Play Time" for the first time :tup: )

If that's Tati's film, it is a pain to watch it on television and even with a big screen this movie requires a LOT of attention : the humor is in the details, some stuff become funny when you realize what it really meant three sequences later... It's an exhausting movie to watch.