ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Where would you split the hobbit into two movies? It's shorter than either one of the lotr books right?

I don't understand how they are going to make it work in two parts either. Is there really enough climax for the end of the first movie in the book? I read it long time ago so I don't remember much of it.

I don't think they need any climax from now on : long movies and n-logies are the current trend right now and it wouldn't cost much to the studio to do to 2 shootings instrad of one. Plus, and Peter Jackson is currently the like of Spielberg, meaning he can greenlit anything under nearly any conditions; the guy is the current big money maker of the industry.

The decision to make two films would be total bullshit though.

Where would you split the hobbit into two movies? It's shorter than either one of the lotr books right?

I thought the subtitle of The Hobbit was "There and Back Again" - so there you go, two movies. :)

In the Peter Jackson interview I read he expressed some dismay that he hadn't been contacted at all about the movie, thank god.

I don't understand how they are going to make it work in two parts either. Is there really enough climax for the end of the first movie in the book? I read it long time ago so I don't remember much of it.

I haven't read it in years but the events I can remember are(do i need spoiler tags?),

1.gandalf/dwarves come drag bilbo off to adventure

2.They meet the three trolls later elrond i think

3.Crossed mountains, caught by orcs, bilbo meets gollum, one ring etc

4.escapes and this is where they got chased by wargs and got trapped on trees I think.

5. Meets Beorn, enters mirkwood, gandalf says bye bye. I guess they could pad the movie with the white council, sauron in dol guldur instead of just hint at it.

6. Got lost, "rescued" by the elves

7. Escape elves, off to lake city

8.Go to lonely mountain to steal treasure from smaug

9.piss off smaug, smaug dies, everyone wants the gold

10.battle of five armies

Break off first movie when they get lost in Mirkwood? There were some nasty business with the spiders there I remember.

I haven't read it in years but the events I can remember are(do i need spoiler tags?)

No, say I! So...

1.gandalf/dwarves come drag bilbo off to adventure

2.They meet the three trolls later elrond i think

3.Crossed mountains, caught by orcs, bilbo meets gollum, one ring etc

4.escapes and this is where they got chased by wargs and got trapped on trees I think.

5. Meets Beorn, enters mirkwood, gandalf says bye bye. I guess they could pad the movie with the white council, sauron in dol guldur instead of just hint at it.

6. Got lost, "rescued" by the elves

7. Escape elves, off to lake city

8.Go to lonely mountain to steal treasure from smaug

9.piss off smaug, smaug dies, everyone wants the gold

10.battle of five armies

Break off first movie when they get lost in Mirkwood? There were some nasty business with the spiders there I remember.

I agree -- that does seem a logical place to split the potential screenplay in two.

Those giant spiders were bloody horrible in the book. Seeing as how Jackson's crew did a phenomenal job recreating Shelob* for LoRT, they'd loose none of that edge in the translation to the big screen.

I'm all for this, personally. Especially if splitting the film in two allows Jackson to bring out the finer of Tolkein's brilliant story facets that simply had to be passed over for LoTR. I was gutted the scene with the Barrow-wights didn't appear during The Fellowship of The Ring. Definitely wasn't upset about Tom Bombadil's extrication from The Two Towers storyline, though, it must be said... :fart:

* Best Tolkien baddie EVA!

Ack, The Hobbit is not just a prequel to LotR. It's a different kind of story and doesn't need to be made any more complicated than it is.

I hope it's more akin to season 4, as 5 was a bit disappointing (although some characters got some well-deserved fleshing out: especially Dr. Cox and Bob Kelso really came alive some more for me this season). Still, I want to see it anyway. Is it out yet?

There's about six episodes of the sixth season so far, according to an episode guide I saw.

I watched Scrubs in reversed order: first season 5, then 4 and then I think I saw 3 (not sure anymore). So comparing them confuses me. I watch the show purely for the comedy.

It's a great comedic show, but they do always have a moral of the story, which they usually bring with flair and wit. So that's good. Season 5 is arguably the worst, especially because they chose to drag out the usually short flashbacks/dreams really ridiculously mch, but instead of becoming hilarious they just fell flat. Especially the kung fu fighting bit in the beginning of the season was horrible.

I don't think it matters in which way you watch them, though a few subtleties will be lost to you, like JD's yearly catching up with Elliot, or subtle transformations of the characters. That said, I hope season 6 is great again, like 1 and 4.

Eagle!!

Jericho is getting better all the time, recommended.

Well, I would hope so. The pilot was such predictable, melodramatic tripe that it can't really get any worse.

Well, a few days ago I looked at page 1 of this thread and decided to check out Brick.

Holy fuck. It's instantly my favorite movie of the past two years. Totally fucking amazing. I mean, high school film noir... that puts up a thousand warning signs. But it's in fact the opposite of the disaster you expect that to be. Love it, love it.

So, thanks for that recommendation. If anyone spots another neo-noir of this calibre anywhere, let me know!

So, thanks for that recommendation. If anyone spots another neo-noir of this calibre anywhere, let me know!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

It has a much different tone than Brick, but it's a brilliant movie.

Watched Eternal Sunshine for the first time last weekend with Mrs. W. Neither of us was overly impressed to be honest and I'd guessed the twist well before halfway through (fat-head that I suppose I am). Very nicely shot, however, and a decent enough piece of cinema. Just felt let down after all the gushing praise I've read for it all over the 'net; Fight Club was far more striking a 'head-fucker' in my (not-so-humble) opinion.

As for noir-ish stuff, I've had a copy of Half Nelson kicking around for a few weeks now but haven't watched it yet. Might be up your street though, Marek, going by PIXELSURGEON's review.

Watched Eternal Sunshine for the first time last weekend with Mrs. W. Neither of us was overly impressed to be honest and I'd guessed the twist well before halfway through (fat-head that I suppose I am). Very nicely shot, however, and a decent enough piece of cinema. Just felt let down after all the gushing praise I've read for it all over the 'net; Fight Club was far more striking a 'head-fucker' in my (not-so-humble) opinion.

Twist? Head-fucker? Did you watch the same movie I did? I think you approached it expecting something else entirely.

Wrestlevania, somehow you managed to watch Eternal Sunshine the wrong way.

Perhaps -- might watch it again this weekend if I have time.

Heh yeah Eternal Sunshine is not a head-fucker movie. It's a story about a relationship (a romantic comedy, even) that uses an unconventional plot mechanism. I hope you'll adjust your expectations and give it another go cause it's a really good film. :)

Shit? I thought it was awesome and struck exactly the tone I'd expect from a Spider-Man movie. Nice and epic, iconic even. And a very clear theme that they probably manage to play expertly through the movie.

Certainly an enjoyable enough trailer, but can't help feeling it's going to be basically the first film's plot with the second film's emotional entanglements sprinkled in. With more black Lycra, naturally.

I'm very keen to see Raimi do justice to Venom though; he's/it's easily my favourite Marvel character.