ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

BooldRayne

serisouly, this is an awesome romantic movie with some nice action sequences and moving things...

but you need some things like a shit load of beer or wine...

There's another, longer trailer floating around too. Watching either of the trailers increased my testosterone level by 300%. RAAAR :mrt:

Definitely comes across a bit like style over substance, though.

One movie that I do want to see a lot, though, is "Pan's Labyrinth", which has been increasing its buzz by very positive festival showings. http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004706.html

Definitely comes across a bit like style over substance, though.

Looks killer enough to make want me pay for a ticket.

What is it with medieval war movies and this need to out-do one another in terms of how many arrows are shot into the air at an approaching army? Braveheart did it realistically, in this one it looks like rain.

What is it with medieval war movies and this need to out-do one another in terms of how many arrows are shot into the air at an approaching army? Braveheart did it realistically, in this one it looks like rain.

Braveheart is a turd.

:ponycrap:

1. Medieval? This is around 500BC.

2. It's probably a scene from the comic book anyway.

In this case there is historical precedent. One of the stories about Thermopylae is that someone told one of the Spartans that the Persians had so many archers that their arrows blocked out the sun. The Spartan's reply was, allegedly "excellent, that means we can fight in the shade".

Another famous quote was born from this battle (or the accounts of it at least).

Persians: Hand over you weapons

Spartan: Come get them.

Yes, I've been reading up a lot about the battle of Thermopylae. Great stuff; there are indeed some good wikipedia entries about it.

My father told me his own Thermopylae story when I told him about this movie (he just got back from Greece). In his youth he used to drive bus-fulls of hippies around various far off places. The legendary "Freak Wagons". On one trip with a bus off American trippers he arrived at Thermopylae. The Statue depicts a naked Spartan with a tall spear. He told his passengers that the name on the statue was "Thermo-pile", and it depicted an ancient Greek doctor who had been the first to invent a treatment for haemoroids using a 'thermal lance' - the one in the doctor's hands. The passengers were very interestred in this story and took several photos of the statue to show everyone back home.

I have a suspicion that my father had lots of little tricks like this. I'm not going to tell you what he did to the bus-load of Australians in Amsterdam.

Mother F*ckers at CBS managed to can Smith after a staggering 3 episodes!:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

I mean come on! 3 episodes? This ranks right up there with those other famous cancelations out there.

Mother F*ckers at CBS managed to can Smith after a staggering 3 episodes!

Yeah, I read about this yesterday. Very disappointing.

Things aren't going very well in TV land at the moment it seems...

Has anyone seen "A Prairie Home Companion"?

The reason I'm asking this is that the actual Finnish translation of the title is "Robert Altman's Bad Jokes".

I just now saw the 300 trailer. I saw a featurette earlier but it seemed like a gay wizard-movie then. When not cinematigraphically shot; naked men wearing capes can easily do that. Nevertheless, the trailer was awesome. This is exactly like Sin City. Another fine Frank Miller tale of larger than life men in larger than life battles and situations. Not too much dialogue, but all geared towards making you understand that these people kick ass. I love it.

Isn't that weird? In the trailer all I thought was "Damn those men are ripped! but in the video journal thing, all I thought was "Good Lord they're wearing nothing but penis sacks."

"And capes."

Just watched the first two episodes of NBC's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Aaron Sorkin's new TV drama about an ailing SNL-like sketch comedy show trying to return to its former glory. The fictional network that carries the sketch comedy show is NBS, a not-so-subtle reference to NBC, who carries Sorkin's drama (but also exists inside it: Studio 60 cast members will occasonally mention SNL). All very strange given that Sorkin basically rips on NBC-as-NBS in the pilot episode. Someone wrote a pretty good critique of the show here, but it's interesting enough that I'll keep watching it. Like The West Wing it indulges in seductive heroic fantasy, but it's rife with opportunities for tackling the relationship between business, media, and politics.

I've been psyched for this show ever since it was announced, yet strangely, after four episodes...I hate it. It feels like Sorkin, over-confident after his success with The West Wing, over-indulged himself too much. I loved Sports Night, and I enjoyed most of The West Wing, but Studio 60 seems neither as funny as Sports Night nor as dramatic as The West Wing. Also, a sketch comedy setting is a bad place to include the moralizing monologues that Sorkin does so well because...it's sketch comedy! Who looks to SNL for moral guidance?

EDIT: After re-reading this, I realize I sound like quite the Debbie Downer, which was not my intention. Studio 60 isn't terrible, but it is disappointing.

Recently got a chance to check out Infamous, a new Capote biopic. Same story as last year, but I think I like this version better. Dunno why, but it's really damn good.

Episode 5 of Studio 60 is a bit better. I was genuinely interested in two of the characters for the first time. But Episode 3 and 4 were really crappy and I'm probably going to stop watching the show.

What annoys me most is that each comedy sketch is in fact not a comedy sketch but Aaron Sorkin mentally masturbating onto the page.

I really enjoyed the first couple episodes, but I think it's been pretty much downhill from there. All of the high-brow moral speeches seem out of place. Though I'm not enjoying it nearly as much now, I plan on watching it for at least a couple more weeks. I really enjoy the chemistry between Matt and Danny.

Good_german.jpg

Is that not the most pretentious poster ever? :tdown: :tdown:

Check out the trailer for Notes on a Scandal. I can't really tell how good it's going to be, but Judi Dench is positively creepy.

Finally, ign makes it sound like they might be making a two-part movie version of the Hobbit. Personally, I think that's bull crap. If they can squeeze each of the LOTR books down into their own, a bit long, movies, then there's no reason they can't do the same for the Hobbit. I was excited about the prospect for a Hobbit movie, but this rumor has put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm.

Let's just hope Peter Jackson won't be involved in any way. Can't remember where the interview was, but Jackson said that if was to decide, he'd just start raping The Hobbit and never stop.

I can't see how the hobbit coming out in two movies could be a bad thing. Personally I experienced a huge let-down when I realized that there wouldn't be any more Lord of the Rings movies. So to me this is great news and the more of that stuff the better. I thought I heard Jackson WAS gonna do these too, non?

As far as The Good German is concerned I think it is only fitting to use this kind of poster since it feels to me like it's been since the 50s that anyone bothered making these kinds of movies (noirish-postWWII-y movies). I have to say that I can't see any bad choices Clooney is making since Oceans Eleven.

On the subject of documentaries; the BBC's latest series of Horizon continues to entertain as much as it informs -- tonight's Bill Nighy-narrated DARPA Grand Challenge chronicle entitled The Great Robot Race being no exception.

If you can find them, I'd recommend watching either tonight's installment or the series-opening Survivors Guide to Plane Crashes as a taster of what to expect. Fascinating stuff.