ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

House is a very good serie if you cast aside the fact that every episode is more or less the same : "House is right, no, wait, he's wrong... eyh, the guy is gonna die, aaahhh, House is right again."

House character is far too awesome for the serie to be spoiled by such details... and the über plot is damned good.

Saw "Science of Sleep". I like Gondry. He does good things. He has great and inventive visuals. His script writing? Needs work. Otherwise, the previous two things!

Dude, I'm so jealous. I really want to see Children of Men, but it doesn't get a US release till the end of December. Bastards.

As for House... House, the show, sucks; House, the character, is amazing.

Yeah. House is worth watching for Laurie. Also, the occasional episodes that deviate from the above formula. The gay mobster and the one where he's teaching some med students spring to mind.

From the first episode I saw I concluded that they work in the scariest mf'ing hospital I ever saw. Also, the worst lit.

Everything is in shades of green there! Jesus, I wouldn't get better there, I'd get depressed!

I watched Hellboy last week and was really disappointed with the results. It looked great but the story was dull and effortlessly predictable. Perlman was good though.

Also, I finally watched the 2003 remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre last night and I really couldn't see the point in all honesty. Except for the belated teen slasher flick cash-in angle.

Didn't think the change of approach to the family served much purpose either, although the extended scenes with the sheriff were an interesting idea. The editing was odd though; some key scenes were extremely brief, whilst peripheral ones began to drag with pretty regular frequency. I did like the whole baby-stealing addition to the screen play though -- that was really nasty. The Blair Witch ending rip-off was shit though, true to life or not.

I suppose if they'd gone crazy in the editing room the film would've been about 70mins tops. Which might not have been such a bad thing really...

I'd heard rumours before the film came out that they'd be filming the remake with a bias towards Leatherface's point of view. But that didn't seem the case, as it looks like they've reserved that for a possibly ill-advised prequel (which is released here in the UK in early October).

Children of Men is being advertised to death in the evenings here in the UK at the moment, which is prompting me to see it ASAP - hopefully this week. I've also found a copy of Tremors 4 which I'm really looking forward to seeing too.

But that didn't seem the case, as it looks like they've reserved that for a possibly ill-advised prequel (which is released here in the UK in early October).

Holy crap! R. Lee Ermey is still alive?

From the first episode I saw I concluded that they work in the scariest mf'ing hospital I ever saw. Also, the worst lit.

Everything is in shades of green there! Jesus, I wouldn't get better there, I'd get depressed!

I think that's just the first episode (the pilot). And House the show does not suck, you just need to see beyond the curing of patients into the real meat of the show, which is character development. You people don't watch Galactica to get to see robots blow up, do you?

I think that's just the first episode (the pilot). And House the show does not suck, you just need to see beyond the curing of patients into the real meat of the show, which is character development. You people don't watch Galactica to get to see robots blow up, do you?

Yes, I think all of the characters are interesting, especially House, but that doesn't change the fact that the show itself is lame and exceedingly formulaic.

I think I really want to go see Crank. It seems to be the sorta thing worth seeing in the cinema, i.e. big explosions and crap. Anyone seen it?

I think I really want to go see Crank. It seems to be the sorta thing worth seeing in the cinema, i.e. big explosions and crap. Anyone seen it?

Being blunt, it looks fucking terrible. But it's had a very positive review over on the superb PIXELSURGEON, so you'll probably have a great time.

Do share your thoughts, won't you?

Yes, I think all of the characters are interesting, especially House, but that doesn't change the fact that the show itself is lame and exceedingly formulaic.

And I was thinking the characters are the most important part of a show such as this, but I guess they are something completely separate from the show.

And I was thinking the characters are the most important part of a show such as this, but I guess they are something completely separate from the show.

Yeah, characters are a key part of a show, but I don't think there's necessarily a relationship between great characters and the quality of a show's content. Whenever I watch House I feel like I'm watching the same episode as the week before with a few slight changes. A couple weeks ago the creator of the show was being interviewed on NPR, and the interviewer mentioned that in shows like House or CSI you can pretty much set your watch by when certain events happen. "Let's see, House just made his first misdiagnosis. Must be about 20 after now." Can anyone honestly say that they are at all on the edge of their seats to see how the episode is going to end, or are even interested in the out come? For me at least, I couldn't care less. The only draw the show has is what the characters are going to say or do next, which often has little relation to what the particular episode is about as they're mostly the same. Imagine how much better the show could if there were interesting things happening instead of just interesting characters. This would even give the actors a chance to express more of their characters.

Crank is really good fun, and pretty close to how GTA: The Movie should be done. The only thing that lets it down is generic baddies (hello, GTA) and final shootout. The ending saves that though. In all, it's great. Well worth a watch.

Got around to watching Tremors 4 on Wednesday night and I must say I'm impressed. Great writing and a well thought out alternative to the original film's setting. I was dubious of the historic Wild West setting - and the dramatic change in Michael Gross' character (Hiram Gummer, Burt's great grandfather) - but it all came together really well.

The in-jokes were great to spot too, but not intrinsic to enjoying the film - smartly done. The gag right at the end especially made me smile.

Crank is the most banal film I've seen in a long time. Fun, too, but also condemnation-worthy. If you want to see it, I would recommend doing so in a way that doesn't give the filmmakers money.

If you want to see Crank, I'd recommend paying the asking price, rather than stealing it. If you don't, don't. Hundreds of people worked hard on that film, whatever you think of it, and personally I think it's unjustifiable to pirate it.

I can't be bothered to make a new thread for this but the last Studio 60 was oh-so-good.

And holy shit, Lucy Davis. Haha.

I can't be bothered to make a new thread for this but the last Studio 60 was oh-so-good.

Yeah, one of the best TV shows I've seen. And to think we're only three episodes into the season. let's hope they can keep up the quality.

And holy shit, Lucy Davis. Haha.

*googles Lucy Davis*

Ah, she's in Shaun of the dead aswell! I knew I recognised that face from somewhere :)

Has anyone watched much Six Feet Under? I watched the first episode this summer, but no more because I usually don't love family dramas. I was at Best Buy today checking out their box sets and was completely taken with the cover art for the show. I feel compelled to watch more of the show now.

Has anyone watched much Six Feet Under?

I've watched a handful more than you and it's quite compelling. Seems quite complex too, primarily in how the many different relationships work out, so I think it needs giving some time to get into properly.

Personally, as far as family dramas go, I thought Nip/Tuck knocked the spots off Six Feet Under.