ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

While watching this supposedly profound movie I couldn't help but think that they were thinking, "Hey, let's make Magnolia except loaded with terrible racism cliches! Brilliant!"

I really liked Crash.:mock:

N-noooo, this cannot be... a differing opinion on the internet?

I really hated Magnolia and loved Crash. I hated Traffic and in general I really dislike the movies with a million characters and random love dodecagons. However, the racism in Crash didn't really bother me on the same level that the sanctimonious Drugs R Bad MMkay while the white man's the devil message of Traffic did, possibly because the racism in Crash just is and is never really given weight in and of itself. Crash was made out of racism, whereas Traffic is made as a pedestal for drugs, if that makes any sense... and Magnolia is just an emo mess that thinks it has more going for it than it actually does.

Broken Flowers was awesome. You people have no taste. Jim Jarmusch is the shits. :tup:

Broken Flowers is great.

Crash is like trying to watch a movie while a fat man stands in front of the screen constantly blocking your view while waving his arms and yelling THIS IS ABOUT RACISM THIS IS ABOUT RACISM.

Haven't seen Broken Flowers yet, but I love Coffee And Cigarrettes, and I hear that liking one means that you're inclined to like the other. Crash was ok, but very, VERY, overrated. Plus, they stole the name from Cronenberg, so fuck them.

I think Crash was a good film because it simply 'worked'. It was intended to tell various intertwining tales about how stupid, unfounded and *compounded* prejudice is due to human ignorance. And in that it succeeded I think.

I managed to miss almost all of the hype about the film until after I'd seen it, so maybe that's not coloured (:hah:) my view of the film? I was aware of the buzz, but didn't read any of it until after I'd been to the cinema. I still think it was worthy of the attention because of the subject matter. And it wasn't just about racism either; there was a lot of time spent highlighting generally shitty/stupid day-to-day human behaviour too. And, what with it being a mass-marketed film, it meant plenty of people who might be ignorant of such material got to see it.

I'm not advocating Crash as some sort of brilliant tolerance PR exercise, but I've seen evidence of it broadening the perspectives of people who really needed to look outside their windows more (if you get my meaning).

Has anyone seen Renaissance yet? I planning to go see it next week, so no spoilers please!

I'm really curious to know if that movie is any good. I enjoyed the visuals in the trailer, but the plot seemed a little iffy. Let us know what you think of it.

I believe my theater may be playing it soon. 'Course, by the time anything like that comes to Calgary, it has to have played every other city on the planet first.

Plus, they stole the name from Cronenberg, so fuck them.

At least it went from one Canadian to another.

My theater opens Strangers With Candy tomorrow, and I'll probably be seeing that sometime soon. I spent half the night at work today splicing the reels together and may get around to actually watching it this weekend. I'll report back. On the one hand, it has the potential to be really stupid and not worth seeing. On the other hand, :colbert:

Oh, by the way: n0wak, I love your avatar. I chuckled for quite a while after seeing that on the box.

Little Miss Sunshine is fucking brilliant. Saw it just now. I laughed until my head started to hurt, then I laughed some more. It was quality laughter for the quality funnies.:yep:

Miami Vice - rubbish. Feels like a made-for-tv undercover action thriller, with worse hair.

Monster House - rubbish. Smug, boring, no empathetic characters, and full of those creepy-looking CG-kids that only The Incredibles has managed to avoid.

Stormbreaker - godawful. Unbelievably clumsy and amateurish on every level.

A Scanner Darkly - really good. Looks gorgeous, great performances. Don't expect a plot.

Snakes On A Plane - good fun.

Yes, I have a season-ticket for Cineworld cinemas, and yes, I'm 'between jobs' at the moment.

Dude, I'm a fucking projectionist and I don't see that many movies in a normal month...

Dude, I'm a fucking projectionist and I don't see that many movies in a normal month...
That is because you're in the middle of Alberta and they don't send you many movies. They know that the novelty of moving pictures is enough for your backwards customers. :yep:

I just finished the first season of Twin Peaks. I think I recall a couple people here saying that the second season isn't the greatest. Is it worth watching any of or should I just avoid it?

I don't know how it breaks down by seasons, but after the original mystery is solved, it gets kinda slow before they get to figure out a new mystery, or so people in the know tell me.

meh, I don't think I'm going to watch anymore. From what I just read over at wikipedia it sounds like ABC really screwed Lynch over.