ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I just watched Delicatessen, and it was exceptional. Better than City of Lost Children, but, naturally, not as good as Amelie. It makes no sense why it hadn't released in the US on dvd before this May.

:tup::amelie::tup:

I watched City of Lost Children long time ago and quite enjoyed it even though I didn't understand much of it back then. Now I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Yeah, I saw Foutaises a little after I saw Amelie for the first time about 3 years ago.

You can see that Jeunet used lots of stuff from Foutaises in Amelie, especially Amelie's beginning.

I really enjoyed "Thank You For Smoking". I was laughing all the way through.

*coff* and Pirates 2 *coff*

I really enjoyed "Thank You For Smoking". I was laughing all the way through.

Damn--I keep forgetting to watch that!

Anyone seen Nacho Libre yet? School of Rock surprised me with how consistently funny it was all the way through, so I've reasonably high hopes for Jack Black's latest effort.

It's not quite what you'd expect from the dream team of the writer of School of Rock, director of Napoleon Dynamite and Jack Black. :(

I watched Brick yesterday. Fantastic movie. There seems to be a flux in noir production this year with Hollywoodland and The Black Dahlia still to come later this fall. Hopefully they'll be at least as good as Brick.

Wasn't that a game?

No. The game didn't have "The" in front of it.

I thought Nacho Libre was brilliant. I really liked it and would recomend it.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I actually haven't seen any David Lynch movies yet. I'm not sure how many more movies I'm going to be able to watch before I head back to college, so if I'm only able to watch one which one should it be? Elephant Man? Blue Velvet? Mulholland Dr.?

Mulholland Drive is one of my favourite movies. It is also the only movie that I had to re-watch right after I had finished watching it the first time.

Haven't seen any other Lynch's movies, though, so I don't know whether it is the best one. But at least it is awesome..

I'm not sure how many more movies I'm going to be able to watch before I head back to college, so if I'm only able to watch one which one should it be?

Wild At Heart strikes a good balance between characteristic/accessible. I'd start with that.

heh, I saw Les Triplettes de Belleville a year or so ago (over here it was renamed to Belleville Rendevous). Very eccentric and enjoyable. It reminds you how Japanese Anime was so heavily influenced by the French.

Some of us watched Clerks II last night. Not bad, lots of laughs and in-jokes for Kevin Smith fans and nicely understated so that it did feel like a true Clerks sequal.

Jarmusch movies are a bit weird. I love them, but I can see people not liking them. It's a good movie.

Yeah Broken Flowers was definitely a little bit weird, but it was great. I saw it in Helsinki once.

The first trailer for Eastwood's two new movies finally came out. I don't usually care for war movies, but I'm looking forward to these ones. To be honest, really the only reason for this is because of Eastwood and the idea of persenting opposing perspectives. The trailer didn't really inspire me, but I'm hoping that's just because war movies don't usually turn me on. What do you guys think? Will they be up there with Million Dollar Baby and Unforgiven, or will they be just a couple more war movies to add to the pile?

Also, Paul Haggis is a twat, and Crash sucks.

I just watched Crash a few nights back and I've gotta say that I was really underwhelmed. It was pretty decently shot, but the script just couldn't be saved. It didn't evoke any emotion at all and basically went nowhere. All the main characters are extremes that learn a lesson about racism in the end or get fucked over, except the locksmith, I guess. It wasn't terrible or anything, just not that great of a movie either.

Flags of our Fathers looks genuinely interesting though, but I kind of like war movies in general.