ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I have been getting all the way in to the films of Johnnie To. A really great Hong Kong action film maker. He shoots action brilliantly. I don't know if any of you have heard of him before? I heard about him on this great film podcast I listen to. Would wholeheartedly recommend checking out Drug War, The Mission and Breaking News. 

2 hours ago, Woodfella said:

I have been getting all the way in to the films of Johnnie To. A really great Hong Kong action film maker. He shoots action brilliantly. I don't know if any of you have heard of him before? I heard about him on this great film podcast I listen to. Would wholeheartedly recommend checking out Drug War, The Mission and Breaking News. 

I'm a pretty big To fan. My favourite of his are probably Election and Election 2, but others I've liked include Exiled and Vengeance.

I watched all three Riddick movies. I wouldn't say that any of them are good, but they aren't straight up trash either. Pitch Black has the potential to be a great movie, the actors for Fry (the pilot) and Johns both nail their parts, and the set up is actually quite decent as far as these things go. The over done visual filters and crappy looking monsters ruin it a bit for me though. There's also something about the directing that just isn't all the way there. In the end I think it's fairly memorable though. The Chronicles of Riddick is a completely different movie, it's a weird direction to go in after the first one. If you take it for what it is though it's still quite enjoyable, it still has a planet escape (I guess that's the one recurring element in these movies) and some highlights in the cast. Really enjoyed Vaako and Kyra. Necromongers are pretty generic space nazis but I've seen worse.

Riddick feels like a throwback to the first movie. It's strange in its own way though, because it doesn't start introducing new characters until something like 40 minutes in, and it takes a bit longer than that to get the main supporting cast. I also think Riddick himself is a bit milder in this one, much less of an anti-hero. It was cool seeing Starbuck though.

Apparently they're making a fourth one. I admit that I'm moderately excited.

Did you like that the lesbian turned straight by Riddick was literally named Doll?

(Okay it was actual Dahl I'm pretty sure but still)

I like the first two quite a bit - for different reasons obviously. The third being a remake of the first but not as good will always leave a sour taste in my mouth, but I will admit I enjoyed most of it. Also, DOLL.

I should play the game one day... 

There's an anime?? I bet it's awful.

On 6/30/2016 at 11:15 PM, Erkki said:

There's also "Logan Noir" now. At least this was a special feature on the main blu-ray rather than some money-grabbing extra release (though it has been shown theatrically and the Prince Charles is showing it on Sep 29th/Oct 1st). I hope this doesn't become a fad for studios cynically looking to lend their action movies some extra prestige; it's starting to feel tacky already.

I guess I can watch the anime if it's any good. Haven't had a gaming PC for a year now though, otherwise I'd definitely replay it. Maybe I could buy one with my tax refund...

@Twig I though that bit at the end was too weird and out of place to take literally. It would be more in character for her to say that sarcastically. But yeah, weird name and weird forced topless scene. Do play the game.

Just went to see The Big Sick with my wife. Absolutely wonderful, heartwarming and hilarious. Recommended.

8 hours ago, eot said:

I guess I can watch the anime if it's any good. Haven't had a gaming PC for a year now though, otherwise I'd definitely replay it. Maybe I could buy one with my tax refund...

@Twig I though that bit at the end was too weird and out of place to take literally. It would be more in character for her to say that sarcastically. But yeah, weird name and weird forced topless scene. Do play the game.

Hmm, I definitely didn't read it sarcastically at the time, but now I wonder. You're not wrong that it would've been in character. But I can't say without watching it again haha.

Has anyone here seen The Spook Who Sat by the Door?  Really great movie about a black man who is recruited to the CIA through a scheme so they appear more integrated. After spending years there he leaves and uses what he's learned to form a militia! 

It's on YouTube and you should watch it!

On 8/25/2017 at 10:03 PM, eot said:

I watched all three Riddick movies. I wouldn't say that any of them are good, but they aren't straight up trash either. Pitch Black has the potential to be a great movie, the actors for Fry (the pilot) and Johns both nail their parts, and the set up is actually quite decent as far as these things go. The over done visual filters and crappy looking monsters ruin it a bit for me though. There's also something about the directing that just isn't all the way there. In the end I think it's fairly memorable though. 

I only like Pitch Black, it has been a few years since I saw it but I don't remember the aliens looking bad, hmm.

The reason for the overdone filters was because they chose a spot to shoot the film that basically never rains, and then it rained for about 90% of the time they were shooting. They had to blow out the visuals to hide a lot of this.

Would like to go back and watch again as I was very fond of it.

3 hours ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

I've seen it.

Cool! Did you enjoy it!? I think it's great, hadn't even heard of it until a week ago

9 minutes ago, Woodfella said:

Cool! Did you enjoy it!? I think it's great, hadn't even heard of it until a week ago

Yeah I liked it a lot. It's crazy that the movie even exists.

4 hours ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

Yeah I liked it a lot. It's crazy that the movie even exists.

Yeah! I heard on a podcast about it that it was banned and stopped from screening, only reason it survived is because it was kept under a different name! 

Robert Altman might be becoming my favourite Hollywood director after Kubrick who consistently* made great movies. Just watched Short Cuts, and during the last year or so I saw Nashville, 3 Women, McCabe & Mrs. Miller. All are great movies.

But strangely, I think several of his movies are ones that I've seen before and some point and forgotten about even seeing. I had this feeling watching Short Cuts, that some scenes and events were quite familiar. I have very likely seen the movie before as a teenager, when I wasn't systematically interested in film.

Seeing it again now, the film totally drew me into it and had my full attention. Every minute of it seems extremely well made, but I suspect that there's maybe no single thing to remember about this that makes one go "you know that movie where <...>" years later. And maybe the same thing applies to some of his other films, as I have a very strong suspicion that I've also seen The Long Goodbye, The Player, Gosford Park, M.A.S.H. and maybe even others, without remembering exactly. But as I'm watching movies more systematically now, I think this time I will remember.

* I say consistently, but I've only seen some of his top-rated movies. It seems he made a lot more, so maybe that statement doesn't really hold.

Hey all, help! End of the month is my annual 24 hour nerd-a-thon some friends and i have been throwing for 25 years, and I need movie recommendations.

Preferred parameters:

Newish (or newly found/released (Samurai Cop was a fun hit when it was resurrected))

Remarkable/Unusual/Terrible/Disturbing/Weird! Ultra violence is A-Ok, salacious torture and/or sexual violence is not! 

Ideally not streaming on common services (but this is an older rule and obviously getting harder to abide)

Previous hits: Hard to Be a God, Upstream Color, Turkish Star Wars, Neil Breen's Double Down, Hard Ticket to Hawii, The Visitor, The Raid

I've slacked a bit this year, so far I only have Neil Breen's latest: Pass-Thru

Not newish, unfortunately, but can I interest you in Maximum Overdrive:

It is full of ridiculous stuff and colorful characters.

18 hours ago, feelthedarkness said:

Hey all, help! End of the month is my annual 24 hour nerd-a-thon some friends and i have been throwing for 25 years, and I need movie recommendations.

Preferred parameters:

Newish (or newly found/released (Samurai Cop was a fun hit when it was resurrected))

Remarkable/Unusual/Terrible/Disturbing/Weird! Ultra violence is A-Ok, salacious torture and/or sexual violence is not! 

Ideally not streaming on common services (but this is an older rule and obviously getting harder to abide)

Previous hits: Hard to Be a God, Upstream Color, Turkish Star Wars, Neil Breen's Double Down, Hard Ticket to Hawii, The Visitor, The Raid

I've slacked a bit this year, so far I only have Neil Breen's latest: Pass-Thru

• Hardcore Henry
  • Iron Sky
  • Turbo Kid
  • Dead Snow
  • Dead Snow 2

On 7/10/2015 at 2:42 PM, marblize said:

does anyone else have Movie Pass? I'm on my two week free trial and used it for the first time a couple nights ago and will probably do MMXXL or Inside Out tonight. it seems like a pretty incredible deal, especially in NYC where it works at nearly every theater including ifc, bam, and nitehawk. the only bummer is you have to wait 24 hours between uses. so I saw Ex Machina on Wednesday at 10:50pm and was going to see the 7pm When Marnie Was There Thursday before I remembered this restriction. poop.

edit: sorry for the ad

It's probably worth bringing this up again due to the recent changes to Movie Pass.  Has anyone jumped on?  I'm super curious as it seems like it works at a lot of the art theaters here in the Bay Area (The Alamo Drafthouse, The Roxie, and the Pacific Film Archive being the big draws for me).  I'll probably just get it and try it for a month, but I'd be curious to know what anyone else thinks about it.

I know the movie for you

On 3/9/2017 at 5:38 AM, feelthedarkness said:

Preferred parameters:

Remarkable/Unusual/Terrible/Disturbing/Weird! Ultra violence is A-Ok, salacious torture and/or sexual violence is not!...

: Bad Batch by Ana Lily Amirpour