ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Ah, so brkl was using it in a different way to you, then? He said he returned a blu-ray because the rip ws awful... :/

We are running rough-shod over your language.

I watched World of Tomorrow again, for the third time, and I want to say, maybe this is actually the best movie of 2015. Don Hertzfeldt can really capture things about being a (human) being in the world. I ordered the Blu-Ray http://www.bitterfilms.com/

Controversial opinion: Laura Dern is better in Jurassic Park than Jeff Goldblum.

I thought this was a universal truth?

I mean Goldblum is adorable and everything but Laura Dern has better lines, delivers them with aplomb but without over egging it, and manages to look cool even while rooting through shit.

It's hard for me to remember if I've talked about it here before because I watch it at the video store at least twice a month, but Mistress America is probably the best comedy of the decade. Flew under most people's radars but if you get a chance, seek it out. Fucking non-stop incredible writing,

For best comedy of recent years I would personally pick A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence, or even Look Who's Back, or Wild Tales, or Frances Ha, but yeah, Mistress America is funny and definitely worth seeing.

I recently finished watching The Godfather trilogy and I have to say I like the last one almost as much as the first two, except for the first hour, which felt oddly out of place. Also finished Scenes from a Marriage, which is a great miniseries by Ingmar Bergman about a married couple, with excellent performances from Liv Ullmann and Erland Josephson.

Also watched: Black Girl (1966, which I believe is also being screened now by Janus Films), Eyes Without a Face (1960, not a bad mystery-horror movie), Blood Simple (starting to catch up with Coen brother's work)

I was just blown away by Onibaba. I had been watching it download for 3 weeks, every day seeing that it had progressed a little bit. I found it through the FilmStruck sizzle reel and while some of the other movies I found through that list are really good, Onibaba seems like a real masterwork in comparison to most. It reminded me of Woman in the Dunes, as both are suspenseful movies about people living in weird cut-off communities.

post-6047-0-26344800-1463779811_thumb.jpg

(the movie is in black and white and absolutely gorgeous)

Sorcerer is amazing, although I still like The Wages of Fear more.

If you are at all interested in animation, or aggressive electronic music or crazy avant-garde films, you should check out the work of Lillian Schwartz, an artist who worked at Bell Labs and pioneered early work in the field of computer animation. Though I should definitely note that there is a real epilepsy risk for a lot of her work.

Pixillation is especially batshit and great. I'd also recommend U.F.O.s.

I really recommend They Look Like People, currently streaming on Netflix. Very tight, subtle little indie horror film that does a lot with a few very unsettling visuals and strong casting of a few key roles.

I finally got round to watching Tomorrowland and I seem to recall it getting quite a few negative reviews. I don't really understand why, it is probably one of the strongest kids films I have watched in quite some time (Inside Out and Zootopia are on the list).

The plot kind of reminded me a little of the premise to Bioshock but kept fairly clean, Clooney does Clooney and is out shone by the kid actors who do a great job.

Has any one seen it? Would be curious if it is just that I recently watched both X-Men Apocalypse and Batman vs Superman and now my standards have been sufficiently lowered.

I saw it and I think I posted here about and got a reply or two. I'm still on holiday with limited internet speed, so I won't track it down for you but a search for the title with 'display as posts' should get you there. 'Interesting mess' was the general feeling, I think. I remember watching a special feature about Hugh Laurie's character and it gave him more depth and motivation in two minutes than the entire film managed.

I saw it and I think I posted here about and got a reply or two. I'm still on holiday with limited internet speed, so I won't track it down for you but a search for the title with 'display as posts' should get you there. 'Interesting mess' was the general feeling, I think. I remember watching a special feature about Hugh Laurie's character and it gave him more depth and motivation in two minutes than the entire film managed.

Ok, I'm back, and luckily for you I'm a bit compulsive:

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/4038-movietv-recommendations/page-485#entry361391

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/4038-movietv-recommendations/page-527#entry390492

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/4038-movietv-recommendations/page-527#entry390516

You're the second person on here to rate Zootopia; I have no idea why as I just saw it and it is utterly mediocre. The only notable things are the clumsy and confused 'prejudice is bad' message and the weird sexy-gazelle-who is-a-weirdly-specific-and-dated-reference to-and-also-played-by-Shakira sub-plot that seems to be a leftover from a previous draft.

I saw X-Men Apocalypse today. I enjoyed it but there's a lot wrong with it. It's by far the most comic-booky of the main series, far less grounded and quite bloated. It also leans a lot on the emotional beats and iconic moments of the previous 5 entries without creating much of its own or moving anything forward. I would advise any newcomers tempted to marathon the series to stop at DOFP (and perhaps find a fan-edit of Last Stand).

I finally saw Tangerine. That is just the best movie I've seen in forever.

We saw Starship Troopers 2 in the same night and while not as well produced as the Paul Verhoven movie I think it was almost every dumb thing it needed to be. Although some of the stock characters could have been sketched in a little stronger.

Ok, I'm back, and luckily for you I'm a bit compulsive:

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/4038-movietv-recommendations/page-485#entry361391

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/4038-movietv-recommendations/page-527#entry390492

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/4038-movietv-recommendations/page-527#entry390516

You're the second person on here to rate Zootopia; I have no idea why as I just saw it and it is utterly mediocre. The only notable things are the clumsy and confused 'prejudice is bad' message and the weird sexy-gazelle-who is-a-weirdly-specific-and-dated-reference to-and-also-played-by-Shakira sub-plot that seems to be a leftover from a previous draft.

I saw X-Men Apocalypse today. I enjoyed it but there's a lot wrong with it. It's by far the most comic-booky of the main series, far less grounded and quite bloated. It also leans a lot on the emotional beats and iconic moments of the previous 5 entries without creating much of its own or moving anything forward. I would advise any newcomers tempted to marathon the series to stop at DOFP (and perhaps find a fan-edit of Last Stand).

Sorry, I wrote that wrong (what I meant is that Zootopia and Inside Out are on my list to see - that was hastily put together). I did dig through the comments and those seem like fair criticisms of the film, I actually liked that we see Clooney as a kid, full of wonder and excitement for the world before he gets left behind.

X-Men Apocalypse was pretty terrible - there were loads of scenes of people just floating in mid air doing nothing. It was supposed to be epic but it was shot poorly. Also, Magneto's back story was cool in 2000 but has gone the way of Batman's parents being shot. Everyone knows it, please stop showing it over and over again.

Man, Dogtooth is a tedious movie.

Huh. I guess I can see this but it really pulled me in. I loved it and thought it was fascinating.

Enter the Void overstayed its welcome, but was still pretty impressive.

Agree about Ex-Folk: Armageddon. Enjoyed it while it lasted and it had some cool shots and moments (see spoilers), but overall a forgettable thing and completely without the cool 'mixing X-Men and American history'-vibe.

Obviously Quicksilver stole the show (AGAIN), and I liked the scene playing out in Apocalypse's mind, fighting Professor X. But the film also has overlong scenes in bunkers, Apocalypse's tour around the world to gather extremely silly-looking mutants (except for Storm), standing around on a sandy plateau for five days... and that's the action-packed second half of the film! The first has such memorable moments as: going on a business meeting with Moira! There's an earthquake that upsets people! Someone enrolls in school and is uncertain about themselves! Sansa Stark being not very fun or interesting!

I'm being a little harsh on the film. I did enjoy it just now, but the critic in me just doesn't find a whole lot to latch onto.

I must admit to finding Jean Grey's accent intensely distracting, and also wondering why they decided to write her as such a weird bitchy character. What the hell was that first scene in which she meets Cyclops about? She's just overtly rude for absolutely no reason. Is that part of Jean Grey's character and I just don't know enough about X-Men to understand?

Perhaps seeing Last Stand in particular would help contextualise it a bit more but no, all you need to know is in the film: she's a teenager, she has super-crazy powers that she's struggling to handle and all the kids at school think she's a witch.

Cyclops is also a dick back to her, until he regains his sight and realises she's hot.

EDIT: oh, I forgot to mention Psylocke's terrible costume. It's a tiny swimsuit with thigh-length boots and straps, it's just awful cheesy flesh-baring wank material straight out of the comics in a way that all of the previous films have purposely avoided (although First Class had some gratuitous actual-underwear moments).