ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I think looking back at the show it seems like everything about it is great in spite of Mark Rylance. I mean the amount of times that it seems like he's dead on his feet and people are just acting at him while he fumbles his lines is astounding.

You guys are all the fucking worst.

That is not possible, because Mark Rylance is the fucking worst.

Quest complete: I've now watched all Tarkovsky movies

Tarkovsky.png

It's really hard to pick a favourite among his feature films. A moment ago I thought it would be Nostalghia or Solaris, but actually maybe Andrei Rublev. They are all exceptional movies (Stalker, Solaris, Mirror, Nostalghia, Sacrifice, Andrei Rublev and Ivan's Childhood). The shorter ones are worth a watch as well.

Tarkovsky.png

It's really hard to pick a favourite among his feature films. A moment ago I thought it would be Nostalghia or Solaris, but actually maybe Andrei Rublev. They are all exceptional movies (Stalker, Solaris, Mirror, Nostalghia, Sacrifice, Andrei Rublev and Ivan's Childhood). The shorter ones are worth a watch as well.

I really want to see these films. I've only seen Ivan's childhood and I liked that a lot. Having difficulty finding them with hardcoded subs

I really enjoyed the second season of American Crime, until it went off the deep end in the latest episode. A shame. :/

Tarkovsky.png

The Mirror is my MVP, though I think Ivan's Childhood is actually my favorite. It's just that I find my idle thoughts drifting towards The Mirror all the time, even though watching it often felt like a bit of a slog. The first 30 minutes of that film are quite literally unbelievable.

Where'd you see the last 4?

I really want to see these films. I've only seen Ivan's childhood and I liked that a lot. Having difficulty finding them with hardcoded subs

If you're in the US Hulu has Solaris, Andrei Rublev, and Nostalghia in addition to Ivan's Childhood as part of their excellent Criterion selection. 

I find my idle thoughts drifting towards The Mirror all the time, even though watching it often felt like a bit of a slog. The first 30 minutes of that film are quite literally unbelievable.

Where'd you see the last 4?

Yeah, I also liked the beginning of Mirror maybe more than anything else. There's a moment where it feels like the director has control of nature itself, more strongly than in some of the other movies.

I found low-quality torrents of the last ones, maybe some were on rutracker.

I'm in the UK unfortunately. Artificial Eye(The Criterion of the UK) are releasing all his films on Blu ray this year which in good news

I'm in the UK unfortunately. Artificial Eye(The Criterion of the UK) are releasing all his films on Blu ray this year which in good news

Yeah, this seems like something I will get, but there was something weird, a news piece about that listed the lengths as shorter than the original lengths (174 min for Andrei Rublev).

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15450

But now if I look at more updated info it seems that Andrei Rublev is actually the full 205 minutes as Tarkovsky intended, not like the 186 of the Russian Blu-Ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=18258

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Andrei-Rublev-Blu-ray/147666/

[edit] Damn... the Amazon pre-order for Rublev still states 174 minutes though... the mystery deepens. I guess it'll end up being the 186 minute version after all.

I just started watching The X-Files on Amazon and suddenly realised that it's been converted to widescreen for HD. Ugh.

I was dragged to see Dirty Grandpa (De Niro and Efron comedy) and it is painfully formulaic in every aspect.

I just watched Terminator Genisys and it was pretty bad. Meandering and messy, with a load of stuff we've already seen the other movies do. It's a shame as the concept of mucking about with the first two movies' timeline has potential but they just didn't know what to do with it. I would have loved to see Cameron take on this idea as a third film in 1993 with the original cast - BTTF2-style shenanigans with massive action set-pieces being intertwined.

I just started watching The X-Files on Amazon and suddenly realised that it's been converted to widescreen for HD. Ugh.

Just wait until anamorphic TVs become standard.

Room (2015) is a real tearjerker. I cried almost as much as during Wolf Children.

I watched Miami Vice earlier and was shocked to discover that it's not shit. It's great in fact. Dunno why I always assumed it was rubbish, probably because my brother's DVD collection consists of this and the Danny Dyer film The Business.

Hmm,think I better watch The Business. You never know!

I professed some ire towards Deadpool and the Deadpoolization of the cosplay scene in recent years, but I did just yesterday saw the Deadpool movie and it was pretty funny. As I've let it sink in, I've even grown more favorable towards the film, despite leaving the theatre thinking the final act was the laziest, most generic 'third act' they could've possibly done.

It features a random bad guy lair, damsel in distress, a fight with a nondescript British guy that goes on for too long, not any character development... so very boring and unlike the rest of the film, which always seemed to try to do things a little differently.

Ryan Reynolds kind of nails it. I laughed a lot, even at fourth wall-breaking jokes that I'd have expected would be embarrassing to watch. Nope. It was all good-natured fun, really. That's perhaps the biggest surprise: despite the enormity of cussing, it all felt like a bunch of people having a good time and not really trying to be nasty. Even the expletives had a feeling of 'oh boy, we finally get to say ass all the time because we're R-rated!', and that made it feel funny and juvenile in just the right way. What the ass?!

I watched Miami Vice earlier and was shocked to discover that it's not shit. It's great in fact. Dunno why I always assumed it was rubbish, probably because my brother's DVD collection consists of this and the Danny Dyer film The Business.

Hmm,think I better watch The Business. You never know!

The Business is a surprisingly okay British Goodfellas knock-off. But then I didn't like Miami Vice...

I just randomly watched Goodfellas and felt totally bored. After this and being so disappointed in Taxi Driver, it seems Scorsese's style just doesn't work for me at all. Taxi Driver at least had some nice camera work and cinematography, but this one didn't even have that IMHO, there's only a couple of memorable shots and they are basically irrelevant to the whole.

I professed some ire towards Deadpool and the Deadpoolization of the cosplay scene in recent years, but I did just yesterday saw the Deadpool movie and it was pretty funny. As I've let it sink in, I've even grown more favorable towards the film, despite leaving the theatre thinking the final act was the laziest, most generic 'third act' they could've possibly done.

It features a random bad guy lair, damsel in distress, a fight with a nondescript British guy that goes on for too long, not any character development... so very boring and unlike the rest of the film, which always seemed to try to do things a little differently.

Ryan Reynolds kind of nails it. I laughed a lot, even at fourth wall-breaking jokes that I'd have expected would be embarrassing to watch. Nope. It was all good-natured fun, really. That's perhaps the biggest surprise: despite the enormity of cussing, it all felt like a bunch of people having a good time and not really trying to be nasty. Even the expletives had a feeling of 'oh boy, we finally get to say ass all the time because we're R-rated!', and that made it feel funny and juvenile in just the right way. What the ass?!

I agree with both your positive and negative points, but I'm curious as to what you mean by the "Deadpoolization of the cosplay scene"? Is it literally that a bunch of people are cosplaying as Deadpool?

I saw Taxi Driver months ago and was also disappointed by it. I went in thinking that there was no way this film couldn't score with me and instead I hated it; the protagonist was gross and uninteresting, I didn't care for him in the slightest. 

I'm excited to hear Wolf Hall was good though! I read the book and though I feel it was strong (well-written and clearly well-researched), I didn't particularly care for it because it was so verbose (aka, I have the attention span of a gnat), definitely the sort of story I'd prefer to see played out. I'm on a period kick in general: I'm binging Black Sails and the costumes are so delish.

I thought I'd give Scorcese another chance with Hugo, but that was another disappointment. Still, I did like Wolf of Wall Street somewhat, so there's still hope I'll find another Scorsese movie I like.