ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I was waiting for the Will Smith reveal all the way till the end. :(

I don't know if it's just the way the trailer is cut, but it looks tonally completely different. Really dark and "gritty". No levity whatsoever

They've brought back goldblum dad... And are killing him off, he ain't surviving that. Also is that the ex president scarifying/killing himself, sure looks like it to his daughter. Man, fuck trailers.

I hope the awesome dog is back

giphy.gif

And the ghost of goldblums co-worker "David, David, david, david, I've gotta call my lawyer"

DAVID

Is that Maika Monroe as the President's daughter/Hemsworth love interest?

The first film was schlocky rubbish that I found utterly unwatchable, this looks like a a gritty reboot that is going to be equally unwatchable.

Also, stop with 'BWAAAH' effect in every film preview, enough already. I think I complained about it a year ago and it seems to have got worse since.

Will Smith isn't in the film.  The movie's website reveals why

While test piloting the ESD's first alien hybrid fighter, an unknown malfunction causes the untimely death of Col. Hiller. Hiller's valor in the War of 96 made him a beloved global icon whose selfless assault against the alien mothership lead directly to the enemy's defeat. He is survived by his wife Jasmine and son Dylan

There was some interview with Roland Emmerich where he talked about what happened with Will Smith.  He was on board for being in the new movie back in the early stages, where the sequel was very much a Will Smith movie focusing on him and his son from the first movie.  Then Will Smith did After Earth, which also was a sci-fi movie focusing on a father-son dynamic, and after that he decided he wasn't interested in doing the Independence Day sequel.

Star Trek: Beyond has its trailer out now. And it is a shitshow.

That music choice is something straight out of my highschool film classes. It clashes with the previous films and tone of these remakes, I sincerely doubt it reflects the tone of this film, and... it's fucking Sabotage by the Beastie Boys. Not knocking the song, but it seems like a desperate ploy to be like "woo we are cool and hip!" I LOVE the Star Trek reboot films. And I'm a guy that's been firmly Team Star Wars my whole life - trust me, I'm not one of those Trekkers that's all butt hurt about something getting made popular among more people. This is just the amateur film maker in me shaking my head.

What bothers me more is that there is literally nothing in that trailer that is remotely interesting

a ) on a dramatic note (it's just some stuff blowing up, people punching people, you know, the things that just ooze 'Star Trek')

b ) in terms of science fiction (the reboot films were always light on SF ideas, but come on)

c ) as a Star Trek property (really, take away the crazy make-up and this could've been Fast & Furious, dialogue and all)

You mean you didn't get that tingly Trek feeling when Scotty walked in a dimly lit, grimy brick room, and then an alien backflipped?

That music choice is something straight out of my highschool film classes. It clashes with the previous films and tone of these remakes,

Except for the fact that it was prominently used in the first reboot?

Nothing on Justin Lin is track record says Star Trek. It's just 4 Fast & Furious movies and a bunch of shorts. Do JJ and this Justin even know what Star Trek is?

We should give JJ more scifi stuff to ruin. He should make a Stargate and X-Files movie next.

Except for the fact that it was prominently used in the first reboot?

At what point? Was it advertising the first one? The fact I don't remember that song from the first movie should be telling in that the movie has more going on for it than "oh man remember when it used that song?"

At what point? Was it advertising the first one? The fact I don't remember that song from the first movie should be telling in that the movie has more going on for it than "oh man remember when it used that song?"

When young Kirk steals the car and gets chased by the police.

Also I vote we keep talk of Star Trek to the other thread

Theres another "Screen unseen" event on Monday. I'm excited. You book tickets and you don't know what film you're seeing until the title card comes up. Only thing guaranteed is it will be a film that isn't out yet. Only thing is I booked before I got my current job and unless I get an early finish, I'm gonna miss the first 30 mins :(

In any case I will report back!

It was "Room", it was okay. I missed the first hour though, which according to my brother was the best bit

the first time they used sabotage was such a bummer, standing out in a movie i consider to be wall to wall bummer, i can't believe they brought it back. maybe sabotage is now a star trek staple, where playing sabotage and doing sick stunts replaces "live long and prosper" or "dammit jim." i can think of few things more relevant to the 24th century explorers than a 1994 rock single, despite it never being a #1 hit. it must be something that is rediscovered, like when mozart died penniless. 

I thought the use of Sabotage in the first Trek was a funny joke - not everyone listens to classical music and quotes Shakespeare or Melville, Beastie Boys is now classic rock that fits well with a classic sports car. It's a shame they've plastered it all over this trailer and turned it into a mission statement - if Kirk is just listening to it in one scene in the latest one, I think that's a cute callback.

The use of Sabotage is probably the thing that bothers me the least about that scene.  He opens the top while going at full speed, then seems surprised that it just flies off.  He drives straight toward a cliff then bails at the last second and just barely manages to save himself.  If the point of that scene was to demonstrate to me that Kirk is a complete moron*, congrats you've succeeded brilliantly.

*Granted Kirk is an act first think later kind of guy but that doesn't mean he's an idiot.  Or at least he shouldn't be.  After all he was the one who pieced together that "lighting in space + Klingon distress signal = bad things" later in the movie.

The use of Sabotage is probably the thing that bothers me the least about that scene.  He opens the top while going at full speed, then seems surprised that it just flies off.  He drives straight toward a cliff then bails at the last second and just barely manages to save himself.  If the point of that scene was to demonstrate to me that Kirk is a complete moron*, congrats you've succeeded brilliantly.

I'll be honest, I was so confused by that scene that to this day, I assumed he did it because it was the future and somehow things were futuristic enough that people didn't fall off cliffs any more. 

When Mission: Impossible 2 opened with Ethan Hunt free-climbing that mountain, it annoyed me so much. If the point of that scene was to demonstrate that he's a moron, congratulations, mission accomplished.

He's a child in that scene, right?

But he's able to steal and operate a vehicle (that I'm going to assume isn't commonly operated in that time).  Even a young kid today playing with a toy car knows that driving it over the edge of something is only going to result in falling off of said edge.  If he didn't know how to stop that would be one thing but he purposefully ACCELERATES toward the edge.

In all fairness, I do like the movie as a whole.  I just think Kirk's introduction is incredibly dumb.  Spock's was much better as it showed his internal Human/Vulcan conflict.

He does it on purpose to piss his step-dad off, surely? It's there to show he's reckless and self-destructive because in this timeline his dad died and he got an asshole stepdad (played by Greg Grunberg!). I like how Chris Pine looks like a young William Shatner if he'd been getting into bar fights since he was 14 and his prettyboy face cauliflowered up a bit.

He does it on purpose to piss his step-dad off, surely? It's there to show he's reckless and self-destructive because in this timeline his dad died and he got an asshole stepdad (played by Greg Grunberg!). I like how Chris Pine looks like a young William Shatner if he'd been getting into bar fights since he was 14 and his prettyboy face cauliflowered up a bit.

Except none of that is communicated.  His relation to Kirk isn't identified in the scene, only that Kirk and his mother live in his house.  He could be an uncle, cousin, family friend, etc. (I know the credits list him as Stepdad but resorting to the credits just shows how weak that scene is).  The recklessness and self-destructiveness I get, but I felt that was far better demonstrated in the bar scene.  If they had cut the scene with kid Kirk altogether it wouldn't have changed anything.  In my opinion it would probably be better.

I'm nitpicking a lot about one relatively short and forgettable scene in a movie but that whole thing just really bugged me.