ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I disagree with the indictment on Daredevil's character, but I agree that Kingpin was the main draw for that show - as, I think, is David Tennant's Kilgrave in this. Once he actually becomes a focus, he is brilliant.

I have turned around on Jessica Jones a little. Her attitudes and demeanour get given a fair bit of depth and she starts to sidestep some of the obvious tropes.

Kilgrave is really terrifying as a character.

I have 7 more movies to see in PÖFF, and I've seen 18. The only one I walked out of in the middle of the movie was The Find, and that movie was chosen as the audience's favourite (!?).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4176964/

If anyone else will see this, I am really curious to hear your opinion. It pissed me off for mainly two reasons:

1) When the main character had to walk around a huge lake near the beginning of the film, the camera showed him sometimes walking left, sometimes walking right, in relation to the body of water. The shore line would have to be REALLY complex for this to make sense. Admittedly it was a little bit complex, but I saw no justification for such foolishness.

2) The main character's determination to call a certain person bitch all the time and his developing obsessions relating to that person. And his relationship with his family... It just made no sense to me whatsoever. Maybe the end of the movie gave a reason to tolerate this character, but I couldn't wait that long.

Maybe this is actually a brilliant movie and I don't like it for similar reasons I didn't like Taxi Driver that much.

Saw bridge of Spies and thought it was alright, fine. Loved Mark Rylance. Felt a bit too long(seemed to drag a bit when Rylance stopped being in it for a bit) and was kinda patronising in places.

Saw bridge of Spies and thought it was alright, fine. Loved Mark Rylance. Felt a bit too long(seemed to drag a bit when Rylance stopped being in it for a bit) and was kinda patronising in places.

*awaits a comment from pabosher*

Mistress America is one of the funniest movies of the year. Imagine the world and people of Frances Ha, but dialed up a notch and thrown into a screwball comedy. I LOVED it.

I thought Speedy Desiato had that honor. Man, I miss that guy.

I laughed out loud at this. Like, hard.

Yes, Mark Rylance is a phenomenal actor. In a recent Graham Norton show, even Tom Hanks kept singing his praises. COME ON GUYS.

Tale of Tales is a fantastic fairy tale movie! Aferim is a western-like film set in Romania of 1800s. Isla Bonita is a Spanish-speaking Woody Allen-like film. I liked them all, perhaps Aferim the most.

Sooo megathread. I'm not going to search to see if/how many times it's been posted before; I'm just gonna say what I wanna say:

I finally watched Ex Machina the other night. Such a good film! (So good.) Man I love original Sci-Fi. Haven't had a treat like it since Moon.

Oh man, I felt the same way. I love little contained and heady scifi movies. I don't feel like many are made anymore, and I always mean to check out older ones.

Tale of Tales is a fantastic fairy tale movie! Aferim is a western-like film set in Romania of 1800s. Isla Bonita is a Spanish-speaking Woody Allen-like film. I liked them all, perhaps Aferim the most.

I saw Tale of Tales at the Stockholm film festival last week and I wasn't at all impressed. It's strange though, because I can't quite put my finger on what it was that made me dislike it. To some degree it was the arbitrary nature of the stories, with things just sort of happening without much reason or logic. The story with the flea was particularly guilty of this. However, this sort of storytelling is very true to the fairy tales that the film is based on and would probably have made me even more intrerested in seeing it if I had heard it described as such. In the same way I was put off by the amount of rape, murder and misery found in the stories, particularly since most of it was inflicted on the few undeserving characters that could be found, but this is again true to the old style of fairy tales. Basically, the components make it sound like a film that I would be very interested in seeing, but put together it didn't work at all. It did look very nice though.

I saw a few more films at the festival, so I might as well give my opinion of them too.

The Lobster: I loved this film. The writing, the acting, the cinematography, the weirdly hilarious sadness of it all. The director, Yorgos Lanthimos, was there for a discussion after the film. I didn't have a chance to ask him a question, but if I did I would have asked him what it is about mustaches that so perfectly conveys loneliness.

Son of Saul: Really, really impressive film. In a lot of ways. It follows a Hungarian jew in a concentration camp as he tries to hold on to his humanity. I would not be at all surprised if this breaks out of the foreign language category at the oscars and picks up nominations for cinematography and sound editing/mixing. It's shot almost entirely with Saul in focus while the rest of the frame is slightly blurry. This means that the sound does most of the work, letting you fill in the horrifying blanks with your own imagination. It is extremely effective.

Carol: Well made and well acted but overall I just didn't feel it. I enjoyed it while I was sitting there watching but it didn't stay with me at all.

Green Room: A tense thriller/horror film by Jeremy Saulnier who also made Blue Ruin. The overall plot isn't much to speak of but the directing and acting more than make up for it. It's very well paced, going back and forth between quiet scenes and frantic action, and it uses some carefully deployed gore to good effect. It's also a lot of fun to see Patrick Stewart play a neo-nazi.

Hmm... I get what you are saying about Tale of Tales, but it worked for me, mostly.

Today saw Slow West. I had really high hopes for this, and it didn't disappoint. It was also my last (25th) movie of the festival, so it was nice to end on a high note. I think it might be the most interesting American take on the (kinda-?)western genre since Dead Man (that I know of), but on the other hand it's not quite as great as Aferim!, which might unexpectedly be my actual favourite movie from the festival. I already want to see it again! And when I went to see it, the cinema was almost empty -- I guess most people are still put off by black and white?

aferim.jpg

I was just thinking that this has been kind of a good year for movies, but really maybe it's just that I have personally started watching a lot more movies than I used to (as I think I've mentioned before, I spent the last decade almost not watching films). I can't really think of that many movies that really stood out besides Mad Max: Fury Road, Girlhood, The Martian, Aferim!, Tangerine, La Novia, Mommy, A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence, Duke of Burgundy. Maybe I will add some others from PÖFF to this list after digesting... also The Lobster and some others I didn't manage to see yet. I've also yet to see Jafar Panahi's Taxi.

Also, with non-hollywood movies it's getting hard to place them in a specific year. For example, Hard to Be a God is listed as 2013 on IMDB, but just below the title it says 2014, and on Rotten Tomatoes it's 2015.

He really was great in this. Love him as Cromwell too

FUCKING CHRIST YES. Also, Olivia in Twelfth Night and EVERYTHING ELSE.

Black Mass! Really boring and pointless and derivative and Johnny Depp has a stupid rubbery face.

Went to see The Lady in the van with my dad as he likes Alan Bennett. Enjoyed some of it, just a nice middle of the road, lovely British comedy. The main lads Alan Bennett impression is spot on and the most enjoyable bits were when he was having conversations with himself. Was expecting to hate it

Black Mass! Really boring and pointless and derivative and Johnny Depp has a stupid rubbery face.

I'm glad you've said this, because all the buzz around it suggests it's amazing, but it looks super dumb. Now I don't have to see it, thanks!

I'm glad you've said this, because all the buzz around it suggests it's amazing, but it looks super dumb. Now I don't have to see it, thanks!

Wouldn't have seen it by choice but it was a secret screening thing where you don't know what you're seeing until the title comes up. Really cool idea because I never see films in the cinema knowing nothing about them. Without having seen a trailer or something.

Agree completely about Black Mass, really didn't care for it. Also it was really obvious even without actually knowing going in that a lot of stuff had been cut from the film which made it super awkward (not that I think it would have been better an hour longer).

Maybe trick Speedy Desiatio into seeing it instead. That guy, psh.

Maybe trick Speedy Desiatio into seeing it instead. That guy, psh.

I really miss that guy.

Insider scoop: that guy was a dick. good riddance to bad rubbish

I wasn't that into Inside Out, for a variety of reasons, but I have one big question:

Is it just me or are the personality islands a terrible metaphor? One bad practice and Hockey Island crumbles? So it's automatically not part of her personality after one hiccup? Except that she's playing hockey again two days later? So did they just re-erect a huge island in that time? So do the super dramatic crumbling personality islands not actually matter? Because they seemed to be wrecking serious shit, and the emotions were freaking out and they even knocked a whole structure of memories into the abyss. Was this the first time Riley ever encountered adversity? Or do the islands crumble all the time and does it not mean much and the emotions just forgot about all the other times they crumbled?