ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

God, I don't think I've been so excited for a movie since Inception.

I have a weird mix of excitement for The Martian after reading the book and trepidation based on Ridley Scott's recent form. Could go either way, looks excellent from the trailer though.

Ugh. There's nothing about that trailer that looks appealing to me: The cheesy ass music, the entirety of Matt Damon's character, the obnoxious video diaries, a premise that's I think will be filled with cliches and tropes, and even the action scenes in it look boring.

Well, having read the book and enjoyed it immensely for it's premise and writing, I'm not particularly worried about any of those things. Sorry you won't be able to enjoy it.

WELL I ALSO THINK IT LOOKS GREAT JONCOLE 

F THE HATERS EKCETRA

(i have not read the book although it's on my list)

It worries me that they got Matt Damon for that movie. Not because I have anything against him as an actor, but because it seems like The Martian should be a slow, ~$5 million movie like Moon was. His presence makes me worry that they're going to Hollywoodize it and make it into some schlocky spectacle with mandatory crammed-in romance and all the other box-checking. I realize this going on a trek deep into speculation-land, but that's my fear.

It worries me that they got Matt Damon for that movie. Not because I have anything against him as an actor, but because it seems like The Martian should be a slow, ~$5 million movie like Moon was. His presence makes me worry that they're going to Hollywoodize it and make it into some schlocky spectacle with mandatory crammed-in romance and all the other box-checking. I realize this going on a trek deep into speculation-land, but that's my fear.

I share the same worries.  I like Matt Damon.  I don't think he's the best actor, but I for some reason really enjoy watching him.  I haven't read The Martian although I'd like to given what I've heard about it.  I think the trailer looks good but it also gives me the impression it's going to be full of artificial drama.  Every scene with Jeff Daniels looked incredibly cliche.  I'm still interested though.

I share the same worries.  I like Matt Damon.  I don't think he's the best actor, but I for some reason really enjoy watching him.  I haven't read The Martian although I'd like to given what I've heard about it.  I think the trailer looks good but it also gives me the impression it's going to be full of artificial drama.  Every scene with Jeff Daniels looked incredibly cliche.  I'm still interested though.

The on earth drama kind of of reads as cliche but the thing that is interesting about the book is that it goes into the details and logistics of inter country space agency politics to send to get the guy back from Mars and so on and so on instead of just the emotional "we need to get him back" sort of thing  My main worry with the film is that it has to gloss over most of the nitty gritty details which is what made the book so interesting in service of runtime and character drama, so it could just come off as very surface and lots of shots of Jeff Daniels looking worryingly at pictures of Mars on a screen.

He's a popular actor who has been in some roles that weren't great.

I like Matt Damon. What did Damon ever do to deserve Damon hate?

I like him too; actually, I like him a lot. I just don't think he'll be good in this. 

Already seen Matt Damon in a space suit, already seen Jeff Daniels look concerned in a control room, basically already seen the movie I assume.

I really don't want to yuck anyone's yum over the Martian, I probably should have just stayed quiet.  There's nothing wrong with Damon from an objective standpoint of the quality of his work, he just rarely does anything for me personally as an actor.

Why wouldn't Matt be good in this? He's been the talented Mr Riply. He's been the rainmaker. He's been a good Will Hunting. He can do talking movies.

Am I wrong or does that film have two astronauts from Interstellar?

No, those are definitely not George Clooney or Sandra Bullock.

The on earth drama kind of of reads as cliche but the thing that is interesting about the book is that it goes into the details and logistics of inter country space agency politics to send to get the guy back from Mars and so on and so on instead of just the emotional "we need to get him back" sort of thing  My main worry with the film is that it has to gloss over most of the nitty gritty details which is what made the book so interesting in service of runtime and character drama, so it could just come off as very surface and lots of shots of Jeff Daniels looking worryingly at pictures of Mars on a screen.

I mean, maybe this is me being down on Ridley Scott's questionable directing chops, but I can't help but think that a big-budget movie is going to strip everything that's hypothetically interesting about the book out of it. It's much more difficult to convey the thought process and procedure of one-man problem-solving in a movie and the closest thing that Scott has to a movie like that in his filmography is Blade Runner, with its infamous "zoom and enhance" sequence. Matt Damon's fine, but it feels like this movie has the wrong pedigree to do justice to what most people like about the book, and instead seems like it'll focus on emotional stakes that the book was actually embarrassingly bad at establishing.