ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Seconded on Tangerine. I saw it yesterday and I feel very enthusiastic about how good it was.

I just saw Tangerine, a totally unapologetically vulgar Christmas screwball comedy about trans sex workers shot on iPhones. Which sounds super gimmicky, but it's actually one of the most incredible things I've seen all year. Despite the low-budget equipment it's actually an incredible and gorgeous looking movie.

This looks fucking amazing.

I kind of stumbled into some tickets for End of The Tour, the David Foster Wallace movie. Really excited to see it on monday.

I kind of stumbled into some tickets for End of The Tour, the David Foster Wallace movie. Really excited to see it on monday.

You should! It's really good! 

Saw Alien on the big screen today; 35 mm, great quality and it was stereoscopic or something like it that made if wide and huge.

I've forgotten how intense the last moments of the film is; I was holding my breath.

I watched The Signal but didn't like it that much. Some good ideas but boring implementation. Still, that trailer looks interesting. Maybe trying to be Blade Runner will do them good, but I have reservations for now.

Until the weekend I had never heard of Wet Hot American Summer, but I got an email from netflix saying they just added WHAS first day of camp. I looked at the trailer and the cast was ridiculous. So I watched the movie followed by all 8 episodes of the new show.

It was pretty good, I like zany comedy. I also love the fact the show is a prequel even though everyone is 14 years older.

Also, in two weeks we're have our 23rd annual ~24 hour nerd-a-thon party. party games, board games, and movies. I need a MAIN EVENT film. Ideally something totally bombastic/ridiculous/not on Netflix. We usually try to do HK or other asian stuff. We've done Tokyo Shock features. Maybe Dead Ball?  

the current slate is:

Hard to Be a God 

Korkusuz aka 'Turkish Rambo'   (part of the recent Turkish Feature segment)

Fateful Findings   (can't wait to see the latest Neil Breen)

ROAR   (this is a maybe. I saw the Alamo rerelease and it was terrifying and almost impossible to believe, but not great)

True Legend   (never saw this one, but can't argue with the master Yoo Ping Yuen)

Also, in two weeks we're have our 23rd annual ~24 hour nerd-a-thon party. party games, board games, and movies. I need a MAIN EVENT film. Ideally something totally bombastic/ridiculous/not on Netflix. We usually try to do HK or other asian stuff. We've done Tokyo Shock features. Maybe Dead Ball?  

the current slate is:

Hard to Be a God 

Korkusuz aka 'Turkish Rambo'   (part of the recent Turkish Feature segment)

Fateful Findings   (can't wait to see the latest Neil Breen)

ROAR   (this is a maybe. I saw the Alamo rerelease and it was terrifying and almost impossible to believe, but not great)

True Legend   (never saw this one, but can't argue with the master Yoo Ping Yuen)

Here's a few suggestions:

The Battle Wizard (1977) - 77 minutes of pure crazy kung-fu action from the Shaw Brothers.

Cobra Thunderbolt (1984) - Thai super-future-tank synth score insanity. Crazy dangerous stunts.

- No-budget Reanimator shot on video. Great trash.

Action U.S.A. (1989) - Basically a stunt team's demo reel loosely connected with bits of plot.

All fairly obscure and completely crazy.

Mr Robot started out interesting being more realistic hacker stuff going on. But that pretty much went out of the window in favor of drug abuse, corporate power plays, etc.

Also this looks creepy enough:

I'm excited about this.

So what are some good movies to look out for the latter-half of this year?

Also, we're a little past half-way down with this year.... What the fuck....

Review started back on Comedy Central, and I really suggest it.  It's a pretty dark show, but if you're in for dark humor, it's amazing.

The basic premise of Review is that it's supposed to be a TV show hosted by Forrest MacNeil (Andy Daly as this very white-bread psuedo-academic), who is a life reviewer, reviewing life experiences that people ask him to do and grading them on a scale of up to 5 stars.  The shows will typically be broken up into a couple of reviews per episode, so it's got this sorta-sketch comedy format, but the show is a thing with continuity.  In the first episode of the show, he reviews drug addiction, and when that review is over, Forrest has to deal the repercussions of having acted so reprehensibly to the people close to him while he's moving onto whatever he's been asked to do next.

What the net result of this means is that Forrest is basically destroying everything in his life by taking requests of extreme behavior from an audience and just letting it loose on his wife and son, his neighbors, his relatives, basically anyone he touches.  He doesn't tell any of them that he's reviewing these things (it'd comprise the authenticity of his experience), and he's basically let the requests of his audience dictate his behavior rather than any sort of personal moral compass. 

And yet, for as dark as this show gets, it's incredibly hilarious.  Episode 3 of the first season is just about the funniest thing I saw on TV last year.  If you give it a shot, you should try to get through that episode.  If that's not your thing, then it's not going to be for you, but the first two episodes are pretty good episodes that set the stage for something amazing.  Also, avoid episode titles if you can.  The titles are typically just a short list of the reviews done in the episode, but episode 3 has one big moment that is significantly diminished by knowing the title.

This is the first I've even heard of it. Which in and of itself makes me want to see it.

The trailer made it seem like a typically inventive and adorable Aardman production. I'll probably watch it at some point on Netflix.

Just watched A Girl Who Walks Home Alone At Night again, on Blu-Ray

11181094_ori.jpg

I started buying Blu-Rays recently and this is my favourite so far. It includes well-done interviews and making-of, about 50 minutes I think, and some awesome deleted scenes, which I can understand why they were deleted, but they are good and almost combine into another short film. One small gripe I have is that the menu interactivity is bonkers, using the same color for both inactive and active menu items in a few cases (but it only really matters for stereo/5.1 selection screen). Inside the Blu-Ray case is a comic with 2 stories related to the main character, which is a nice touch. I liked the movie itself even more the second time, the only thing I didn't like that much being some music choices.

After Mad Max Fury Road, I think this might actually be my favourite movie from the last two or three years.