ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I dunno who Fincher, Wright, Kurosawa are, and I've only heard of Scorsese!

But I'm super ignorant about movies.

Anyway I like Every Frame a Painting, myself. Well, I like the Jackie Chan one, anyway. That's all I've seen.

I feel weird that Fincher/Nolan/etc are canon(?) directors now because I honestly don't care for them much, even though I'm right in the age bracket and love movies and watched their films as a teenager getting into movies. They make fine movies, but I just don't love them and can hardly even muster much enthusiasm when they put out something new. I've still not seen Interstellar or the last Batman!  :getmecoat

I just finished watching season 2 of the 100 and that show's focus on putting characters in sitiuation where they have to make dubious moral choices with no time to think about it reminds me of the best parts of the Shield and BSG. In particular it reminded me of the first two season of Battlestar Galatica  when the focus was on the fucked up moral choices leaders have to make to ensure the survival of their people and I actually think it surpassed BSG in this in some respects cause BSG in season two found ways for characters not have to either make such choices or execute on their choice which this show does not do.

I think the 100 is more focused on the Clarke above everyone else unlike BSG which had an equal focus on Adama and Rosilin. Clarke and her mother and their arguments over what to do is Adama and Rosilin all over again but with the added dimension of the mother-daughter relationship.

Tore thought rick and morty over the week and that show is amazing. It it funny and bleak but also somewhat optimistic  in a way that is right up my ally while also doing an excellent job of taking well wore sci-fi concepts  and taking them in wonderfully messed up directions. Someone pointed out the show can be seen as a critique of the doctor who idea of genius takes random person on adventures cause the random person (Morty) goes through alot of fucked up shit the effects of which the show does not shy away from while also using one particular experience to positive effects.

I would like to see Zhou's opinion on Bay's T4, because that's a weird film.

Bay is deconstructing his own films, while also deconstructing what it is to be a summer blockbuster. 

Also, Bay using various different type of film gauge in T4 is trippy and fascinating.

I went to see inside out today and I don't think I stopped smiling all the way through. Apart from when I was crying and one bit towards the end when someone on the front row had their phone out and was holding it up.

Still feel really smiley but also like I'm about to cry. Go see it yo

wait a sec...

*On a much more petty note nothing drives me up the wall like suggesting one artform's power by comparing it to another. 

how films work as synthesis, as alchemy.

:devil:

ehhhhhhh, sort-of-science. either way I just thought it was funny to condemn comparisons between rap and poetry in one breath and use a term rooted in chemical protoscience to refer to the elements of cinema in the next. don't get me wrong, i love the usage.

sorry i shouldn't have re-started this nonsense.

The more bad press and opinions I see of Pixels....the more I want to go see it.  A trainwreck is more or less what I was hoping for. 

The more bad press and opinions I see of Pixels....the more I want to go see it.  A trainwreck is more or less what I was hoping for. 

That movie does look like a fascinating trainwreck, but I can't justify giving them money for that.

ehhhhhhh, sort-of-science. either way I just thought it was funny to condemn comparisons between rap and poetry in one breath and use a term rooted in chemical protoscience to refer to the elements of cinema in the next. don't get me wrong, i love the usage.

sorry i shouldn't have re-started this nonsense.

One comparison is qualitative and the other is metaphorical?

true, I neglected to re-read and forgot you used language like "elevated to the level of poetry," and was commenting on a thing built in my head, consisting of the rap/poetry talk I've actually heard irl, which is less literal and grandiose[/badsentence]. alchemy also read to me as pretty qualitative since it was presented as the ideal, but i'm rusty and probably wrong and this is silly, my bad.

i'm going to get out of this thread until i see ant-man or MMXXL, TTY'allL.

I thought the exact opposite. In fact, I almost commented yesterday that films have about 4 months to stop putting 80s influenced synth in their adverts before I start ignoring them completely (like when every film had the Inception clang in it).

Well, if that music is going to be in the movie .... which was my assumption. If not, then yeah.

I thought the exact opposite. In fact, I almost commented yesterday that films have about 4 months to stop putting 80s influenced synth in their adverts before I start ignoring them completely (like when every film had the Inception clang in it).

*Bwaaaaaaaamp*

Well it's a phase sure and it'll pass but that seems a bit dramatic.

Thought I'd share this amazing supercut of Stanley Kubrick's work. Remember watching it like 6 years ago and stuck with intensely. Still does! 

This trailer got my attention:

"From the creators of The Signal."

Well, now I'm interested. The Signal was the coolest sci-fi thing I've seen since District 9, so hell yeah I'll check out whatever they do next.

I saw that movie about the video games yesterday. Honestly was not expecting the love and care that clearly went into it, thought it was going to be a lot of cheap unresearched Video game name dropping. While that stuff is in there, most of it is just really clever and true to whatever they're pulling from. Also a blend of adult and child comedy that works so impressively together. I learned that they're making a sequel, and I am now excited for it.

So yeah wreck it ralph was really good.

I just saw Tangerine, a totally unapologetically vulgar Christmas screwball comedy about trans sex workers shot on iPhones. Which sounds super gimmicky, but it's actually one of the most incredible things I've seen all year. Despite the low-budget equipment it's actually an incredible and gorgeous looking movie.

Well it's a phase sure and it'll pass but that seems a bit dramatic.

I've never really liked 80s synth music. Vangelis in particular irritates the hell out of me and that Daft Punk homage on the Tron soundtrack had me gritting my teeth all the way through the film. It is dramatic but I honestly can't help it.

Fair enough, I grew up on original Transformers and that stuff got engrained into my very soul so I think I'll always love it but I totally understand how it could be annoying.